Is anyone else just kind of "over" Hot Toys or Not?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Is anyone else just kind of "over" Hot Toys?

The Hot Toys bubble will burst just like everything else. Sooner or later all that stuff in your Detolfs will start to look a lot like chromium covers with lenticular variants.

lerath you need to get your ass to the MLPFiM thread in the movie and tv section. :D ;)

:lol

already been there Derpy 4 life.

The Hot Toys bubble will burst just like everything else. Sooner or later all that stuff in your Detolfs will start to look a lot like chromium covers with lenticular variants.

sad... but true i think

The prices are starting to turn me off Hot Toys...I was more than willing and happy to buy the 1989 DX Joker and DX Batman together until I saw the price for both. Prices are getting outrageous and I'm becoming more picky because of it.

I predict the DX line will become more expensive and exclusive, but there are still so many masterpieces like the Spiderman and Sweeney Todd, which can be obtained for very reasonable prices. I guess Hot Toys knows that they can continue to price the DX's higher because there will always be the demand for the DX lines :gah:

I'm somehow talking myself into getting Jack Sparrow but I will probably never buy a HT fig again just because of the prices. I know they are great looking but you have to be kidding to charge $260 for a 12" fig.

I'm starting to lose interest in Hot Toys and it is entirely their fault. I'm sorry, but it's hard to continue being a fan of a company that is constantly throwing out more figures and raising the price. I wanted Sweeney Todd. What happened? Awful timing and fairly high though mostly understandable price. Jack sparrow? Bad timing and way overpriced. 89 Joker? Ridiculous price. And then they randomly play with some licenses and dump others. It's hard to care. I'm starting to consider canceling my preorder on Amber from Sucker Punch. I would only want her if I could get the other girls too, but because Hot Toys just loves to play around I highly doubt that lineup will ever be completed.

Also, their products are almost always flawed in some way, more so than the fans try to let you believe. I find that Hot Toys is especially bad with straps, buttons, little bags, etc.. Things that add onto the clothing, tie it together, or whatever. Then their face sculpts are so hit and miss. They often times get the likeness, but make them look atrocious or boring with bland expressions, thus ruining the fun of making dynamic scenes with the figures.

Originally what attracted me to Hot Toys was that they seemed so superior to other 1/6 scale companies and yet the irony is that while I have greatly lost interest in Hot Toys, Medicom and ThreeA have become far more appealing. Medicom's prices are more understandable now that I've seen how much cash the money hungry titans demand.

I'm somehow talking myself into getting Jack Sparrow but I will probably never buy a HT fig again just because of the prices. I know they are great looking but you have to be kidding to charge $260 for a 12" fig.

^ jack is worth that price IMO

I'm still getting Jack but he's not even worth it.

I meant Jack Sparrow, too many Jacks at once from HT :slap

Other than increasing prices, what bugs me is the total lack of "We ____ed up on the DX02 and Comedian figures, were sorry, we have taken steps so it doesnt happen again" statement.

How can people trust any Ht figure with rubber, when they've made no assurances they're working on it. :mad:

When I saw the prices for the 1989 Batman and Joker figures I got really nervous. The prices already dictate that I have to keep my HT collecting extremely focused and I don't normally collect DC stuff usually, so I was more in fear of stuff I will actually want in the future. Those two figures are amazing just can't add anymore to the plate. The Watchmen line was a sore spot to me, especially with the leaking Comedian they refused to fix and the stopping it before Rorschach came out.
I limited my HT collecting right now to the Marvel Cinematic Universe, although the gantry is a tough pill to swallow for the price and the space it would take up, which made it an easy pass. I also limited it to Tron, where if we do get anymore figures it will likely only be one or two. I'm eyeing the Star Wars line but if they are all going to be DX they makes it way too expensive, especially when there is an endless array of SW characters they can make.
I'm wondering if the Avengers will be a breaking point for a lot of people.

I'm not over Hot Toys, because they showed some fantastic f'n figures of Keaton and Nicholson this morning and I'm all in.

God I'm so F-in sick of people bit. Chen. If you can pay $200 for a figure with no hesitation, wtf is an extra $40-$50 really gunna do to your wallet? Huh?

Get over it, everything that is manufactured in world since the beginning of time has had their price increased. That's just what happens. Remember when candy bars were 50 cents? Now their a Buck or more.

I'm certainly not gunna complain about the recent price increases from Hot Toys, the figures they're making now out do the previous. HT is only getting better and better. So be prepared to pay if you want high quality collectibles.

Inflation is not a necessity, and in a better economic context, prices would actually fall as quality increased. Don't expect that anytime soon though. Economic quality is a reflection of moral quality, and the people who govern this planet (and the majorities who elect them) don't have it.

I'm more excited about non-licensed product release than a HT product release now-a-days.

God I'm so F-in sick of people bit. Chen. If you can pay $200 for a figure with no hesitation, wtf is an extra $40-$50 really gunna do to your wallet? Huh?

Get over it, everything that is manufactured in world since the beginning of time has had their price increased. That's just what happens. Remember when candy bars were 50 cents? Now their a Buck or more.

I'm certainly not gunna complain about the recent price increases from Hot Toys, the figures they're making now out do the previous. HT is only getting better and better. So be prepared to pay if you want high quality collectibles.

Hot Toys are high quality, but rubber is rubber and they break down over time. If l am going to pay $250 for a figure that is high quality, l don't want it breaking down and leaking a year from now. If l am going to pay top notch prices for top notch figures l want HT to fix this rubber bull ____. I am blown away by the new Batman, but l am now rethinking buying him if he is going to have leaking problems and breakding down in places and having to watch where l place him, ( in a place that's not to hot or to cold). l just don't like the idea of buying something for a high price that will be worth nothing in a short time. That is the one thing l hate about hot toys. I love their full plastic figs like the new Joker, but their figs with rubber, l just dont know.

I love 12" figures. I love seeing what any 1/6 company will be bringing out next even if I'm not especially interested in the line or figure. So happens HT are the most prolific and arguably the most consistent with their quality.

HT are only now reaching the price points of their main competitors, Enterbay and Medicom (well, Medicom, sort of, maybe once upon a time). Overall, and with a few notable exceptions, HT provide the more affordable, better accessorised figure sets out of the three.

Unlike some I don't feel entitled to be able to afford every release HT bring out. HT are not saying "check out all these awesome releases we expect each and every one of you to buy", but many folks here seem to think HT are forcing these things on us and holding us to ransom with big price tags.

I don't buy what I can't afford and I don't buy what I don't like. As such I service my hobby on an average income and I retain the pleasure of collecting through a discerning selection of all that is on offer. Simple.

i'm not sick of their products i'm sick of their prices though... they've priced me out of the game. I know I know we're to blame because we're dumb enough to buy it.

Inflation is not a necessity, and in a better economic context, prices would actually fall as quality increased. Don't expect that anytime soon though. Economic quality is a reflection of moral quality, and the people who govern this planet (and the majorities who elect them) don't have it.

:goodpost:

Well said. As for getting "over" Hot Toys, I'm falling under the umbrella of prioritizing. Cutting back, and making the hard decisions of what to buy and what to skip. The price increases only lube the transition for me. Once they went over 200, I bought my first PFs.

I love 12" figures. I love seeing what any 1/6 company will be bringing out next even if I'm not especially interested in the line or figure. So happens HT are the most prolific and arguably the most consistent with their quality.

HT are only now reaching the price points of their main competitors, Enterbay and Medicom (well, Medicom, sort of, maybe once upon a time). Overall, and with a few notable exceptions, HT provide the more affordable, better accessorised figure sets out of the three.

Unlike some I don't feel entitled to be able to afford every release HT bring out. HT are not saying "check out all these awesome releases we expect each and every one of you to buy", but many folks here seem to think HT are forcing these things on us and holding us to ransom with big price tags.

I don't buy what I can't afford and I don't buy what I don't like. As such I service my hobby on an average income and I retain the pleasure of collecting through a discerning selection of all that is on offer. Simple.
:lecture:lecture:lecture

Back