Premium Format Iron Man Mark 42 1/4 Maquette by Sideshow Collectibles & Legacy Effects

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well, its a forum so I too like to see opinions both good and bad. I don't post just to trash a specific piece and trust me, I rarely post negatively. In fact, I did a break down of my SDCC experience and this is the only piece I really felt negatively about. I don't mean to make anyone feel bad about their PO. I guess it was twice as disappointing to me that this piece let me down since I was really excited about it til I saw it. I was gonna PO this to go with IP and was definitely in for some of the future IM pieces to come...that remains to be seen now:(

Trust me from most everything i have read so far you not the only one that felt let down. Hopefully the production pieces will be perfect.

Yikes Andy, I wasn't aware of the misalignment issues of the Mk 6 maquette. Was that a common QC issue?

Great job on the BD custom! :clap

Thanks Eric :hi5: yea, I also customised my War Machine Maquette with matching battle damage :yess: however, they were pretty much sold off within a few weeks of them being completed :monkey2 every statue has his price :lol :lol and I got a great deal for the two :yess: but I do miss them :(

Yea, there were quite a few QC issues with the mouth of the faceplate and the chin...only a lucky few actually received theirs in perfect condition...sound like you were one of them :rock

Yea, mine has the same issue. Not so bad, though, but look closely.

IMG_9119.jpg

Perhaps I missed it many pages ago, but why are there so much hate towards the MK42? Is it the pose? The paint? The base? All 3? Or something else entire entirely? To me it seemed nice in the pictures but it'd be good to be educated on why so many people think this statue doesn't compare to other IM statues? Thanks!

@hannibal10
As per the proto on display at SDCC, the paint app was poor and the gold wasn't as per the movie. People who attended the show all agree on that. On picture, it's hard to see.

The pictures I've seen all lack a bit of vibrance. Most of the picture, depending on the camera, that have come out of the convention seem a bit flat and lack colors. So I find it really difficult to say what it really looks like. I'd have to say that from what I've seen, I'm not turned off by the Mark 42 so far.

the MK42 isn't supposed to look vibrant nor is it supposed to be colourful. The actual gold and red tones are supposed to look slightly dull/matte anyway. I think the pics look okay to me...

mumasema.jpg

jytyzave.jpg

tyqa2y2y.jpg

the MK42 isn't supposed to look vibrant nor is it supposed to be colourful. The actual gold and red tones are supposed to look slightly dull/matte anyway. I think the pics look okay to me...

mumasema.jpg

jytyzave.jpg

tyqa2y2y.jpg

Yes, it looks from the picture like in the film. The gold is dule. So we dont need to go into :panic: and just wait. :yess:

28CP_IRON_MAN3_1441243g.jpg

Best opinion is from those that attended the con and seen it up close. SS webste foto always looks nice. Con foto, sometimes lightning plays factor. Collector eyes 1 feet away from statue. Priceless insight :)

Thanks Eric :hi5: yea, I also customised my War Machine Maquette with matching battle damage :yess: however, they were pretty much sold off within a few weeks of them being completed :monkey2 every statue has his price :lol :lol and I got a great deal for the two :yess: but I do miss them :(

Yea, there were quite a few QC issues with the mouth of the faceplate and the chin...only a lucky few actually received theirs in perfect condition...sound like you were one of them :rock

Yea, mine has the same issue. Not so bad, though, but look closely.

IMG_9119.jpg

Thank you guys for confirming. I recalled the crumby paint of the Mk 6 being widespread issue but wasn't aware the faceplate misalignment was common as well.

Yes, it looks from the picture like in the film. The gold is dule. So we dont need to go into :panic: and just wait. :yess:

Whaaaaaaaaaaa? Wait a minute.

When that IS pieced came out all I read over there was how their gold paint wasn't metallic like it was shown on the suit on film, and it got trashed for it.

Now, after seeing this dull proto in person people are claiming the 'dull' gold is supposed accurate? :cuckoo: :rotfl

Well, if that's the case and the gold paint is supposed to be dull then that means the proto for the SSC Mk 2 bust is completely inaccurate.

400253-iron-man-mark-42-001.jpg

So which piece Sideshow piece is inaccurate? Can't have it both ways.

Best opinion is from those that attended the con and seen it up close. SS webste foto always looks nice. Con foto, sometimes lightning plays factor. Collector eyes 1 feet away from statue. Priceless insight :)

Agreed, SS proto is photoshopped to high heaven to market the product. Reviews of people who have seen it in person trump that every day of the week and twice on Sunday's.

Last edited:
Yea, everyone can make their own decisions of course. But even looking at those images from the movie or the photos on the site, the gold just feels more saturated to me and reads like metal. The paint on the piece I saw at SDCC looked like flat paint...just didn't read like metal at all. He just came off feeling very very dull. It's one thing to have matte paint but if its nicely reflective, it will feel like metal. But when the material clearly isn't metal(polystone) and the paint is also dull, then you get something that basically just is flat color with no specular highlight...and nothing pops. Esp with the mark 42 being so predominantly covered with this gold color, it felt very dull to me. Again, who knows...maybe they actually make the production pieces more vibrant and this will turn out amazing. Right not though, the Hot Toys version looked much better to me.

Agreed, SS proto is photoshopped to high heaven to market the product. Reviews of people who have seen it in person trump that every day of the week and twice on Sunday's.

You do realize the movie suit was a multi million dollar Legacy Effects/Weta movie prop with multiple layers of lighting, animating and CG compositing, all to "market" the impossible as plausible to generate billions of dollars in revenues. Which worked out pretty well for them I'd say.

Actually, imdb has 23 special effects studios listed lol.

You do realize the movie suit was a multi million dollar Legacy Effects/Weta movie prop with multiple layers of lighting, animating and CG compositing, all to "market" the impossible as plausible to generate billions of dollars in revenues. Which worked out pretty well for them I'd say.

Who cares. Almost every film has special effects nowadays. Doesn't excuse a high end collectibles company from mucking up a product considering the price of these things.

That's not a fair anology. We want to be fooled by movies. Noone wants to be shammed by a statue company

That's not a fair anology. We want to be fooled by movies. Noone wants to be shammed by a statue company

Shamed by what? The product is right there. 140,000+ people just had a chance to walk right up to the thing and it's been published all over the net.

Back