Iron Man 3 Discussion Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IM isn't a real guy. I wouldn't fault one single person for having flashbacks of a traumatic experience. But in the world of superheroes, that makes him a p***y if it occurs that late in his career.

Funny that people who complained about Bruce Wayne getting depressed are suddenly up in arms about defending Stark. :lol

As someone who enjoyed both IM3 and TDKR a ton, I think you're comparing apples to oranges and then some. Batman,trained to be a weapon had training from modern day ninjas, Tony Stark is a narcissistic nerd in a suit. I think someone (maybe Nam) had already brought up the fact that Tony is the only one in the MCU without a warrior background, except for Banner, and we don't know what banner's recall is while hes the Hulk.

Also, how is what happened "late in his career?" He escaped a PoW camp, fought Obie, then fought Whiplash and Co., hes not Thor who has been probably beating down much worse than the Chitauri since he was old enough to swing a hammer, nor Captain America, a war vet, or even the SHIELD wondertwins who are assassin/spec ops vets. :lecture

This probably crosses way into the "TMI" category but while I've never been in combat I actually have had a gun pulled on me before. It wasn't a huge thing, the guy was drunk and I was able to get it away from him but I was 12 and not protected by a suit of armor.

So I'd like to think I have at least an inkling of what it feels like to think your life could be a moment away from ending. Its cool to have relatable heroes but I like guys that I want to *be* like, not ones that are just like me.
Yep, that's a good point.

This probably crosses way into the "TMI" category but while I've never been in combat I actually have had a gun pulled on me before. It wasn't a huge thing, the guy was drunk and I was able to get it away from him but I was 12 and not protected by a suit of armor.

So I'd like to think I have at least an inkling of what it feels like to think your life could be a moment away from ending. Its cool to have relatable heroes but I like guys that I want to *be* like, not ones that are just like me.

Good point. Quality aside did people want to see Tony be all emotionally crippled?

Yes. But then again, I don't have weird childish aspirations to be a superhero and fly around and fight aliens...

I ask because people seemed to hate Bruce Wayne as the sad & depressed recluse.

Makes you wonder if people want their heroes happy, at least functional or riddled with problems

People hate Nolan's Bruce Wayne because he's a quitter. Batman has always been depressed and a recluse and people love him for it but he never quit. Not even after dying.

People hate Nolan's Bruce Wayne because he's a quitter. Batman has always been depressed and a recluse and people love him for it but he never quit. Not even after dying.

That's always been my biggest issue with Nolan's Batman. Otherwise he was pretty cool. As far as Stark having PTSD I always thought this was very believable.

I think the point of the story is that he learned to cope and overcome the PTSD. He found the strength within himself after hitting rock bottom to pull himself back up from the brink and arguably become a stronger person (not relying on the arc reactor in his chest).

Okay, the reason I have absolutely no beef with Tony's PTSD? Up until the events of "The Avengers", every threat he's fought has had a terrestrial origin. These are familiar to him, he was an arms dealer, he understands human nature and the business of war. Those are the sort of threats he feels comfortable neutralizing. He's aware aliens exist, he knows of Thor (and doesn't seem to like the idea of him very much), but had never actually encountered anything not of this Earth. Now, he's battling an ARMY of evil aliens intent on destroying/enslaving humanity, then has to go through a wormhole, sees what's on the other side and nearly dies in the process. His entire world-view has just been shaken to the core; this isn't just that his life had been in danger, this is taking his entire notion of reality and tipping it on it's head. He's doubting his ability to keep the woman he loves and his entire WORLD safe from a universe that just suddenly got a lot bigger and a whole lot more hostile. I think PTSD in that context is entirely believable, very human, and the fact that he muscled through to the other side of it actually makes him seem more heroic, not less. I still didn't care for a lot of things in IM3 and feel like it's a flawed flick, but Tony's panic attacks didn't bother me at all.

Okay, the reason I have absolutely no beef with Tony's PTSD? Up until the events of "The Avengers", every threat he's fought has had a terrestrial origin. These are familiar to him, he was an arms dealer, he understands human nature and the business of war. Those are the sort of threats he feels comfortable neutralizing. He's aware aliens exist, he knows of Thor (and doesn't seem to like the idea of him very much), but had never actually encountered anything not of this Earth. Now, he's battling an ARMY of evil aliens intent on destroying/enslaving humanity, then has to go through a wormhole, sees what's on the other side and nearly dies in the process. His entire world-view has just been shaken to the core; this isn't just that his life had been in danger, this is taking his entire notion of reality and tipping it on it's head. He's doubting his ability to keep the woman he loves and his entire WORLD safe from a universe that just suddenly got a lot bigger and a whole lot more hostile. I think PTSD in that context is entirely believable, very human, and the fact that he muscled through to the other side of it actually makes him seem more heroic, not less. I still didn't care for a lot of things in IM3 and feel like it's a flawed flick, but Tony's panic attacks didn't bother me at all.

When he sees the chitauri mothership, you can tell it hits him hard. It's all there in his eyes. It's not hard to imagine how traumatic that would be.

:goodpost::exactly:

Good point. Quality aside did people want to see Tony be all emotionally crippled?

Sure, it can be fantastic for a story to see a hero fall only to rise even higher. But what did Tony do? Devise a way to send drones into combat from the comfort of his living room? He's right back to his old "cutting the wire" self, a huge step back from the "sacrifice play" Tony that we saw at the end of Avengers.

It was great to see Rocky lose his fight in Rocky III and then dig down deep to regain the "eye of the tiger" and kick Clubber Lang's ***. But imagine if Rocky instead sent his twin brother in to fight Clubber for a few rounds, then stepped in at the very end, hit an already battered Clubber a couple times, and then from the ropes ADRIAN delivers the coup de grace? LAME. :lol

And that's Tony in IM3. A lesser version of what he was before and a far cry from his fellow Avengers. Obviously a lot of you are into that. Have a close call, then refuse to fully engage your problems, and watch someone else finish the job. Right on. More power to you guys if Tony is your man. ;)

Sure, it can be fantastic for a story to see a hero fall only to rise even higher. But what did Tony do? Devise a way to send drones into combat from the comfort of his living room? He's right back to his old "cutting the wire" self, a huge step back from the "sacrifice play" Tony that we saw at the end of Avengers.

It was great to see Rocky lose his fight in Rocky III and then dig down deep to regain the "eye of the tiger" and kick Clubber Lang's ***. But imagine if Rocky instead sent his twin brother in to fight Clubber for a few rounds, then stepped in at the very end, hit an already battered Clubber a couple times, and then from the ropes ADRIAN delivers the coup de grace? LAME. :lol

And that's Tony in IM3. A lesser version of what he was before and a far cry from his fellow Avengers. Obviously a lot of you are into that. Have a close call, then refuse to fully engage your problems, and watch someone else finish the job. Right on. More power to you guys if Tony is your man. ;)

Just out of curiosity, do you take any issue with Han being completely neutered in RotJ?

Finally saw this.... omg I thought I was never going to get it!

I like the movie for the most part. I Even liked the fake Mandarin, It was funny and it kind of fits. It's like, the Mandarin would be kind of cheesy for a Villain now. So i can get why they did what they did.

My Only problem with the movie was the retarded idea of destroying all the suits.
What happens when the next bad guy comes around? It's not like Tony Stark has a secret Identity or anything...

Why destroy the only things that saved them this time around? that was beyond stupid.

Also that little kid seemed to be kind of poor or something, Why didn't Stark give him and his mom a bunch of money instead of a couple of cool toys?

I liked this but I still think Dark Knight Rises was better overall (compared to this)

Why does everyone think Tony is incapable of making more suits? He made all those suits within the span of a year.....so....

And did you see the **** he got in there? He has a really, expensive vehicle right in that garage.

Why does everyone think Tony is incapable of making more suits? He made all those suits within the span of a year.....so....

And did you see the **** he got in there? He has a really, expensive vehicle right in that garage.

Is not that he can't make new suits. Of course he can. It is kind of implied that at the end when he hugs Pepper he is pretty much giving up making them any time soon.

Obviously when he picks up that little screwdriver and kisses it it also implies that he will probably keep doing stuff.

But WHY make New suits when he already had all those other ones. WHY go through the trouble of trying to rebuild his suit army... When he already had perfectly working suits already.
It's like, it doesn't really make sense. He could have just put all of the suits in storage somewhere and forget about them until he needed them again. He could have easily just store them away in some secret bunker. Makes no sense.

Besides Building the suits is what Drove him away from Pepper, the "Distractions" So why would he start from scratch all over again when he just got Pepper back?

Because he's ****ing Tony Stark. And all those were made quickly as a distraction as well as a paranoid precaution.

Now that his head is together, he can make some real suits. Masterpieces.

Back