Iron Man 3 Discussion Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i rather have a retarded opinion than a be complete ***** retard like you....................:nana::nana::nana::nana:

At least I know how to use basic grammar. Which is a nice thing. You should try it. Or did they not teach you that in special education? It's OK if they didn't. It happens. Some teachers are less prone to teach people like you things when you scream at them like a smelly baboon.

That was spot on.. Much more entertaining then the actual film. ;)

The only thing is that people keep talking about ho Tony gave his address away to a known terrorist.

I mean didn't Tony just have a huge party at his house in part 2. They all had to know ho to get there right?? I mean he is Tony Stark. He loves attention. Wouldn't all the Paparazzi's know where he lives?? What about all the woman he would bring back to his house?? I mean I really don't think finding out where Tony lived was all that hard.

Last edited:
CP, you asked I give you a breakdown of what I felt was wrong wiht IM3 ( which I must admit, I STILL enjoeyed, even if I list it as the weakest of the three Iron man films, and the Marvel movies in general. Yes I liked Iron man 2. Deal with it :lol) WITHOUT referecing the comics. I'll do my best, though considering it's a comic book movie, I find thes request silly.

Lets Take the Dark Knight Rises, and use it to make an example.

Take bane, in that movie, and make him the joker.

But in name only. He is still played By tom hardy. He still looks and sounds EXACTLY as he does in the film as it was released. only, instead of bane. He's the joker.

Granted, I accept that we've already SEEN the joker in the Dark Knight, and this is a HUGE deviation from the established joker in that franchise, but that's a completely separate can of worms.

Making Bane the Villian in TDKR, Or Calling him Joker, or Bad-Guy-Bob, is irrelevent. HAD they called him joker, but never really shown him in the trailers they would have had an auidence expecting one thing, then delivered another.

My point is, WHO the character was, ( Bane, Mandarin, etc) was not as important as what the character did.

So if you're going to MASSIVELY deviate from the essence of who that character already is, why use him at all? all you're doing is generationg badwill twords the fans of the medium, in favor of a quick cashgrab, and cheap shock-value.

You're a predator fan, yeah?

So, in the next predator movie, we find out at the end, it's just a guy in a suit, killing people with a machete, and using sound effects. The Hero is played by Chris Hanson, who is playing himself, trying to catch the predator, as he's had much sucsess in the past. We also find out that EVERY precious predator movie has only existed in the imagination of an autistic child who found the costume in his uncle's ( who is the killer)closet. This is done with the intent of book-ending the predator "series", and giving it a definite ending. But you don't see ANY of this in the trailers. the trailers sets it up as a COMPLETELY faithful, and honest, as well as visceraly violent Entry into the predator franchise. How would a film like that leave you feeling?

Yes, people with no forknowlege of the material might enjoy it. YOU might even enjoy it if it's done well. But it still wouldn't feel like a predator movie.

Much like NONE of the badguys in IM3 felt Like mandarin. IMO, they should have just created a New badguy. End film would have been the same, and would likely be getting a less negative reception from longtime fans. Perhaps even given him a more accurate name. Osama-Bin-Boogeyman, for example.

Also, his post-credit scene, seemed like a throway joke, as opposed to anything that mght tease a future installment. Kinda a waste IMO.

Eh.

That's been my problem with the Iron Man 3 hate. It's 90% "MANDARIN!" and "ITS TOO FUNNY!" Pretty much everyone here is either a comic fan, or a comic book movie fan. So they have certain expectations, and needs these movies must fulfill. Sure, this movie has sloppy points, especially the end scene, which is a part of that need these movies must fulfill.

I've seen it 3 times. I still don't see the big deal. I've studied the ins and out of the film over and over, trying to understand what a huge impact that twist made....and I can't find it. I really don't see what a giant difference it would've made if Iron Man flew around dodging the 10 rings' energy blasts instead of a fist fight to the death. I prefer the latter.

It's your opinion....but I just don't agree.

Last edited:
That's kinda my point. It DIDN't make a difference, except with the expectation that they gave us... wasn't delivered.

They promised the Mandarin, and gave us Osama Bin Laden.

I'm simply saying the story of the film would have been better served by NOT having him be the Mandarin.

Invent someone new ( which, in a way, they did) and use that instead.

Alternatively, bring kingsley back and have a "REAL" mandarin in a future film. It plays up the plastic surgery angle a little bit.

I'm even Fine with the Trever reveal. It was a perfect comic-bookish twist.

Beyond That, IM3 felt to be missing something at some points. I'm not entirely certian what that something is, It... just felt off.

Personaly, I don't think Shane Black "gets" the Genre the same way that Jon Favreau does. IT felt like an 80's cop/ detective movie moreso than a superhero film at some points. Which, considering Black's the lethal weapon guy, that's not suprising.

All in all, B- for me.

I'd give the first one an A+, and IM 2 a solid B.

Thor and First avenger were Solid A's.

And Avengers simply went above and beyond.

Kinda hoping either Black's done, OR whatever it is that he dosn't get, clicks for him and he's able to make a better IM film in the future.

Last edited:
Have had an auidence expecting one thing, then delivered another.

So if you're going to MASSIVELY deviate from the essence of who that character already is, why use him at all? all you're doing is generationg badwill twords the fans of the medium, in favor of a quick cashgrab, and cheap shock-value.

:goodpost:

The advertising was done to get people interested in the serious tone/threat of this Mandarin villain played by Ben Kingsley, then it did the opposite of that in the movie, not only pissing off comic fans but those who wanted to see what they were expecting to see based on the advertising of the movie.

I was looking forward to seeing what was advertised so i was left dissapointed by the movie because it wasn't like that.

Last edited:
See, that's all I wanted to hear. Real opinons without all that fluffy crap. :D

It's not that Shane doesn't get the genre, it's that he was given the go to take it in a new direction. All parties agreed that was a good choice. So they made a spy movie instead. They even came out and said what the tone was going to be.

And as for false advertising? Nah. I'm all up for a movie that tricks me in a preview. I've had more then enough films ruined for me because of it. I was worried that the Iron Man trailers showed a film that was going to be completely joyless, dark, and dour. I'm glad the film was anything but.

Eh.

That's been my problem with the Iron Man 3 hate. It's 90% "MANDARIN!" and "ITS TOO FUNNY!" Pretty much everyone here is either a comic fan, or a comic book movie fan. So they have certain expectations, and needs these movies must fulfill. Sure, this movie has sloppy points, especially the end scene, which is a part of that need these movies must fulfill.

See I could change that to this...

"That's been my problem with the Amazing Spider-Man hate. It's 90% "ORIGIN AGAIN" and "HE DOESN'T DRESS OR ACT LIKE I DID WHEN I WAS A TEENAGER" Pretty much everyone here is either a comic fan, or a comic book movie fan. So they have certain expectations, and needs these movies must fulfill. Sure, this movie has sloppy points, especially the end scene, which is a part of that need these movies must fulfill.

I've seen it 3 times. I still don't see the big deal. I've studied the ins and out of the film over and over, trying to understand what a huge impact that the Lizards look or absense of costume slippers would've made ....and I can't find it. I really don't see what a giant difference it would've made if The Lizard had a dinosaur snout."

And it'd be my position on that particular movie.

It's just different strokes for different folks.

Jye said this...

I guess RT scores matter because people enjoy it when others like what they like, it's a natural human condition.

We can cut thru that and still love something that others hate, but it's that much more comforting when it all clicks and fits perfectly in our little brains that others feel the same way.

That applies to you concerning IM3 and me concerning ASM, sure we'd like it if everyone loved the movie but it doesn't mean we like the movie less because others don't

I'm glad you loved Iron Man 3 Celtic and that your passionate about it :1-1:

Last edited:
I'd agree that Black doesn't get the comic genre, but he made a good movie.

He didn't have an attachment to this Mandarin character, it was a prop for his movie.

You have entire movies focused on properties that twist and cash grab products. It wasn't even Mandarin's movie, big whoop.

I'd agree that Black doesn't get the comic genre, but he made a good movie.

He didn't have an attachment to this Mandarin character, it was a prop for his movie.

You have entire movies focused on properties that twist and cash grab products. It wasn't even Mandarin's movie, big whoop.

I agree. But it could have been quite a bit better, if he hadn't used the mandarin at all.

Beyond That, IM3 felt to be missing something at some points. I'm not entirely certian what that something is, It... just felt off.

I know what that something was for me, and I know I'm going to get slapped across the face by Nova for it.

For a Phase 2 movie, it had nothing to do leading up to Avengers 2.

Marvel hit a home run establishing Phase 1 as separate movies but with connective motives.

Why did they all of a sudden abandon that, and if spoilers are to be believed, that's the new Phase 2, nothing from Thor 2 and Cap 2 will be connected to Avengers 2.

I hope it's not all because of contract negotiations. :tap

Ok, what did I learn from this movie?

Stark now feels like he's IM w/o the help of an arc reactor in his chest.

Ok.

Still lame kid scenes that amounted to nothing, still very lame use of Rhodey, still very lame PTSD plot element and still very lame action set pieces.

Phase 2 = :monkey2

I know what that something was for me, and I know I'm going to get slapped across the face by Nova for it.

For a Phase 2 movie, it had nothing to do leading up to Avengers 2.

Marvel hit a home run establishing Phase 1 as separate movies but with connective motives.

Why did they all of a sudden abandon that, and if spoilers are to be believed, that's the new Phase 2, nothing from Thor 2 and Cap 2 will be connected to Avengers 2.

I hope it's not all because of contract negotiations. :tap

Ok.

Still lame kid scenes that amounted to nothing, still very lame use of Rhodey, still very lame PTSD plot element and still very lame action set pieces.

Phase 2 = :monkey2

I agree. that's part of what I was talking about with the post credits scene being... essentially... crap.

My wife, who's NOT a comic fan, had an excellent comment about the scene after the movie ended.

" that's it? What the hell? That was like a badly written spoof you'd see on SNL. i kept thinking 'this is the Joke scene. like teh schwarma thing' the whole time, but nope. That was dissapointing"

Last edited:
It's also like nothing ever pleases anyone.

The biggest complaint about Iron Man 2 was it wasn't it's own movie. But just an Avengers teaser. And so...Iron Man 3 became it's own movie...and so....now it's bad?

Well, get ready for Thor to do the same. Cap is going to connect because he's a part of Shield. But that's it.

So get used to it.

Why did they all of a sudden abandon that?

It had flashbacks of New york and constant PTSD worries over the events of that movie, it had references to Thor and Bruce Banner at the end.

It didn't abandon it, it just didn't force it.

Ok.

Wasn't a fan of that, it'd be like Bruce Banner saying he's Hulk but without the ability to turn into Hulk :lol

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZGVRN0iwgo"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZGVRN0iwgo[/ame]

I just wanted to say to him, 'You're a funny guy Mr stark but face it mate, without the suit you're no superhero'

It had flashbacks of New york and constant PTSD worries over the events of that movie, it had references to Thor and Bruce Banner at the end.

It didn't abandon it, it just didn't force it.

Ok./QUOTE]

Wasn't a fan of that, it'd be like Bruce Banner saying he's Hulk but without the ability to turn into Hulk :lol

I just wanted to say to him, 'You're a funny guy Mr stark but face it mate, without the suit you're no superhero'

Yeah he's smart.

But if not for the suit Manhattan would've been nuked.

I guess they're saying that he can wear the suit because he wants to, not because he has to.

Whatever. :lol

Back