INDY Fedora at SS

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone have pics of the screen accurate hat to post for those that don't know the difference? I can't find a good shot of the top of the hat and I don't know the proper terms to describe why it's wrong.

Does anyone have pics of the screen accurate hat to post for those that don't know the difference? I can't find a good shot of the top of the hat and I don't know the proper terms to describe why it's wrong.

Here are some shots of the Akubra and Peters Brothers hats.. very accurate.

07ac8b30.gif

080c8960.jpg

029c8960.gif

The crown of the hat is crucial... as you can see.

Yeah you can save tons of money AND get something more screen accurate, Akubra's are a great hat and less than half that price. Adventure built made the ones for Kingdom of the Crystal Skull and offer them less.

I'd get one, but unfortunately, I suffer from the same thing that some SS figs do, BIG HEAD SYNDROME...

Plus, I'm not paying $500 for a hat...I'll get one custom made for that price...

According to most accounts I've read about it, the actual hat worn in the movies is the Herbert Johnson Poet:

hj-three-quarters-front-med.jpg

hj-front-1-small.jpg

This hat is still made, and can be purchased for around $400.

But, the Akubra Adventurer (mentioned earlier by Josh):

1632d_cp.jpg

is a pretty reasonable substitute, and can be found for a little over $100.

As to what's wrong with the "official" hats, the bash it too rounded on the top, as if the bash is set in an oval shape, and then pinched in the front. The bash on the actual hat is more of a straight crease from front to back, and then pinched. The effect is totally different.

Oh, and FWIW, I've owned one of the Dorfman wool, raw-brimmed versions for almost 20 years, and it is a pretty nice hat, and with a little blocking could be made somewhat more screen accurate. But it is no Poet. The brim is too narrow.

Last edited:
The $40 one is good enough for me. I'm not spending a wad of cash on one thats an exact replica. Other Indy items I want a bit more.

There is also the AdventureBilt HAND-MADE by Steve Delk. Steve Delk made ALL of Indy's hats for KotCS. He was hired personally by the costumer because of his expertise and his years of studying and reproducing the hat for the fan community. However, with the new movie, Steve's price on his hat has gone up to $400 and there is also a LONG wait. As I said, Steve hand-makes them all personally. I ordered one in April.

The cheapest one looks like the ones the employees at the theater I went to see KOTCS at yesterday. Not bad actually in person. That's enough.

It's probably a good thing I don't have one because I probably would have worn it to the theater. :lol

At my theater, there were a lot of people wearing Indy hats. I tried to persuade my boss into letting me dress as Indy while I ushered... but alas.. no dice. :lol

I probably would have hated it after an hour anyway and just distressed over my not accurate boots and whip. :lol

Had I been your boss I would have been thrilled with the idea. But then had I been your boss I would have been wearing the hat...

$500 for a hat?!? :google :lol

Maybe if it was a prop made for the movie :duh

Well, the closest thing to an actual movie hat is only a few hundred dollars more. Adventurebilt made the hats for KOTCS. Adventurebilt Deluxe is a better hat, but it's more expensive.
Adventurebilt (US)
Adventurebilt Deluxe (Germany)

And Todd does have some good looking Herbert Johnsons, but if you want the most accurate HJ Poet, go to Magnoli Clothiers. Their hats are reblocked by Steve Delk of Adventurebilt with resewn-in linings, and better ribbons/bows.
Magnoli's Herbert Johnson

-Josh

Back