1:6 scale 3D Printed ANH "Set for stun" Stormtrooper helmet

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cking

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hi all,

I got this 3d printed ANH Stormtrooper helmet from shapeways last year. I purchased the Frosted Ultra Detail (FUD) material for maximum detail on the print.
I think this is the same print that Will was using as the base for his custom helmets (hope all is well with him and he'll be able to complete that project for guys who are waiting). If I remember correctly, a scan was made from the "set for stun" original helmet that is now in the private collection of a lucky prop collector.

The FUD plastic is quite "waxy" when it is shipped out so the surface needs to be cleaned. I was told a great product to use for this and it works well. It's manufactured by "Tableau" and is called Spot Remover Dry Cleaner. It's essentially a spray applied liquid which dries into a white powder which can then simply be brushed / washed off the print and leaves it free from any greasy residue and ready to accept a primer coat.

Not being particularly skilled at the paintjob of these things, I shipped the cleaned up print to my good friend "StevetheSwede" in Sweden and he very meticulously cut out the eye lenses and thinned down the inside edges surrounding the eyes so they matched the appearance of the original helmet prop.

He then applied several coats of primer and gloss white to it. The project came to a bit of a halt due to the extreme difficulty in hand painting the tears, temple and rear helmet details. The slightly rough texture of the print made it very tricky to get a good neat line at such a small scale.

Very kindly (and just before he went awol again), Will shipped out a spare set of helmet decals that he'd printed as a test for his helmet project. These were waterslide decals and although tricky to apply (requiring multiple coats of Micro-Sol and Micro-Set decal fixing fluid, the end result was much more accurate than the hand painted attempts.

Steve then added some green acetate for the eye lenses and painstakingly painted the black brow trim. To finish off, he applied a very thin strip of black rubber around the helmet opening on the underside.

Here's the results of all this hard work. Just got to add the Hot Toys mic tips onto the helmet once Steve has shipped it out to me.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

Looks awesome!

Looks like a LOT of work though, especially getting the smoothness and applying all the decals/paint.

Amazing result! Any chance of seeing it on the Hot Toys body? Also does anyone know why the helmet isn’t available on Shapeways website anymore?

Rest assured I'll post some photos of the helmet on the Hot Toys body just as soon as I have received the helmet from my friend in Sweden. Can't wait to see it. I'll need to add the mic tips onto the helmet to finish it off when it gets here.
Thanks for the comments guys.

Amazing result! Any chance of seeing it on the Hot Toys body? Also does anyone know why the helmet isn’t available on Shapeways website anymore?

I received this beautiful little work of art today and popped it onto the HT body (still need to add the mic tips).

20180915_145950.jpg

For those who are interested, here's a side by side comparison.

Hot Toys ANH Trooper on the left.....3D printed ANH Trooper in the center.....Hot Toys Rogue One Trooper helmet on the right.

20180915_143248.jpg

Congrats! This looks fantastic! Far more accurate than any licensed 1:6 trooper.

Finally got around to attaching the mic tips. Really happy with my ANH Trooper now.

20181006_131825.jpg

20181006_132053.jpg

20181006_132107.jpg

20181006_132236.jpg

20181006_132237.jpg

Looks very clean and accurate, well done.

What did you use for speaker mic tips? Those look well done as well.

Thanks guys,

The lenses are the same green acetate sheet that is used in full size Trooper helmets. Worked a treat.
Wil - the mic tips are from the Hot Toys Rogue One Trooper helmet.

Very nice ���� How thick are the lenses you put in?

Great idea... very authentic.
You wouldn’t happen to know the thickness would you or where I can order a piece? Searched around and they claim it’s stronger than the actual helmet lenses. I don’t want to get one that’s too thick and harder to work with.

Thanks guys. It's just thin green acetate that we had laying around. Leftover from full size helmets. It's very thin but still holds its shape and doesn't crease.

Back