HT not backing down from The Spirit figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Because '300' is crap, 'The Spirit' look like a masterpiece in comparison

:horror :horror :horror

The real reason: 300 wasn't expected to be a hit (thus no figures), and it was a surprise smash. THE SPIRIT was expected to be a hit (so figures were planned)... but it was an unmitigated bomb and disaster.

If ever there was a movie that didn't deserve Hot Toys treatment, this is it.

As movies, 300 is better than THE SPIRIT in almost every conceivable way. The only difference is that the case is reversed when you're talking about the original comics they're based on.

SIN CITY is the last good thing Frank Miller has done in years. And the movie worked mostly because of Rodriguez. Otherwise, it probably would have been as daft as THE SPIRIT.

As movies, 300 is better than THE SPIRIT in almost every conceivable way. The only difference is that the case is reversed when you're talking about the original comics they're based on.

SIN CITY is the last good thing Frank Miller has done in years. And the movie worked mostly because of Rodriguez. Otherwise, it probably would have been as daft as THE SPIRIT.

300 would have been great from HT - they could probably even have done justice to the Persian king.

I'd have to agree that Miller has been reading too much of his own press. Perhaps the idea for the color palette in Sin City was his idea, so he wanted to get credit for using it in the Spirit (where it made absolutely no sense whatsoever). But the character designs were kind of cool (aside from the Spirit himself) so I'll be getting all the figures.

Well if this Scarlett is in the Nazi outfit, anyone else thinking we will get a Nazi Octopus to go with her? Only makes sense. Otherwise they should have done her in the outfit that went with the Final Battle Octopus.

300 would have been great from HT - they could probably even have done justice to the Persian king.

I'd have to agree that Miller has been reading too much of his own press. Perhaps the idea for the color palette in Sin City was his idea, so he wanted to get credit for using it in the Spirit (where it made absolutely no sense whatsoever).

I absolutely agree. And Miller should get credit for the look of SIN CITY, as it translated well from the B&W of the books.

But you're right, he went crazy with it and applied the exact same look to THE SPIRIT (to the extent where some mainstream folks thought it was a sequel). And it was an odd decision. THE SPIRIT should look much more like Warren Beatty's DiICK TRACY.

Well, hey. Even if the movie sucks, the figures look really good. That SLJ sculpt could see a lot of reuse.

They debuted 2 and said 2 more were coming. I'd seriously doubt there would be any more than that.

Then I'm guessing Nazi Octopus is the other figure if we are getting Nazi Scarlett. Wouldn't really make sense to only get one of them in that outfit (well Octopus, but not the other way around).

Actually Silken Floss is a surprise, the female that has been rumored in multiple places in The Spirit line was Eva Mendes' character Sand Saref. I wouldn't be surprised if we got her instead of another Octopus.

Actually Silken Floss is a surprise, the female that has been rumored in multiple places in The Spirit line was Eva Mendes' character Sand Saref. I wouldn't be surprised if we got her instead of another Octopus.

^Couldn't agree more on this one.

I'd be getting just the Scarlett figure though.:banana

I'll definitely be picking Miss Floss up, and probably the Octopus.

I actually enjoyed the film for its value as REALLY over-the-top camp... it's a deliciously bad movie with some great lines. The girlfriend and I had fun.

"I'm gonna kill you ALL KINDS OF DEAD!"

Yes, I sincerely hope it's not another Octopus - that wouldn't make much sense for them.

Back