How did you become a 1/6 scale figure collector?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back in the day, with this:

atomicman.jpg

Now, with this guy:

4401.jpg

Re: How did you become a 1/6 scale collector?

Yeah totally - great read so far folks! :hi5:

I got into 1/6 figures slowly - I initially had little interest in them.

Beginning roughly in around 2008, it was a process of going to a few different forums & just reading / looking at pics - & as others have mentioned, going to Michael Crawford's site.

I learned about HT through him - among other licenses he reviewed 1/6 figures from, & while not particularly wowed by what had been on offer up until that point, started to think of the wonderful possibilities if certain companies nailed my dream characters.

When I first saw the HT Ledger Bank Robber Joker, it was one of those moments where there was no need for thinking it over - it was one of the best figures in that scale I had ever seen!! That went STRAIGHT onto my list (still had nothing yet). A little time went by, then in 2010 they announced the first T2 Arnold.. -> :thud: :exactly:

Those two figures immediately impressed me without ANY deliberating - I ordered the Arnold & was / am blown away by it. It's one of my most cherished pieces.

Not long after, I found that Joker figure for $95 shipped via a local online retailer, & couldn't believe it - bought!!! :panic: :lol

Since then, I've been a convert. That said - I'm extremely picky, & only buy my faves. My list is pretty short, so until they pop up, I just sit on the sidelines & wait basically. In the meantime, kicking around on the boards is a great way to enjoy the hobby indirectly while you're waiting. :)

great story lol, same here dude I only buy the one I really like, save more money that way =)

i have always been a collector, since my childhood days getting the 8 inch mego's of all the superheros and star trek, and the planet of the apes with the ape village, i also got the 12 inch 1970's six million dollar man, i had the g.i.joe stuff with the locker box, all of big jim's stuff, the camper and all, fast forward to an adult, i collected mainly statues, sideshow, bowen, marvel, etc etc, for just about 10 years, i had over 500+ at one time, well, about a year and half ago i was in my comic guys store buying another statue when i see a hot toys iron man, i was ''IN AWE" of the detail, and the price..but i had to have it....brings me to today, i have been selling my statues and now own about 400+ customs and hot toys, a sickness i am having trouble breaking.:lol but i have a wife with 3 kids, this is something i like...i am a movie buff, so anything movie related i like i get,. its innocent fun, nobody should ever judge us on collecting what we like, life is hard enough, enjoying something to take the burden off of everyday life is a win win for me..i will keep going till i burn out....

for me it was this guy:

VpL4FCa.jpg

when I Was young my parents got me spiderman and black suit spiderman. they were amazing I really loved them, and it started my love for 1/6 figures.
Then I got some power rangers that were a little smaller but they were my favorite toys, I really liked those as well.

i have always been a collector, since my childhood days getting the 8 inch mego's of all the superheros and star trek, and the planet of the apes with the ape village, i also got the 12 inch 1970's six million dollar man, i had the g.i.joe stuff with the locker box, all of big jim's stuff, the camper and all, fast forward to an adult, i collected mainly statues, sideshow, bowen, marvel, etc etc, for just about 10 years, i had over 500+ at one time, well, about a year and half ago i was in my comic guys store buying another statue when i see a hot toys iron man, i was ''IN AWE" of the detail, and the price..but i had to have it....brings me to today, i have been selling my statues and now own about 400+ customs and hot toys, a sickness i am having trouble breaking.:lol but i have a wife with 3 kids, this is something i like...i am a movie buff, so anything movie related i like i get,. its innocent fun, nobody should ever judge us on collecting what we like, life is hard enough, enjoying something to take the burden off of everyday life is a win win for me..i will keep going till i burn out....

I hated that Kenner couldn't make the Six Million Dollar Man 12" to fit in with GI Joe. They had to go and make him 13". Just as bad as Big Jim being only 10". And companies still do it. Look at DCD's oversized (non) 1:6 DC superheroes.

Really only been in the game for over a year and half. I had no interest in figures then, but i did collect Collectors editions of games if they came with a statue. Anway as time passed i came across neca during my Gears of war mad phase and thought they looked great so i bought a few. I left it for about 3 months i never bought anything else. Untill i was just browsing i came across Kotobukiya's Artfx star wars line( huge star wars fan) i fell in love and bought a few of those.Then i was browsing Amazon looking at other Koto statues and came across Hot toys mark V and thought it looked pretty cool so i went on youtube to check out videos and i couldn't believe the detail and sculpt on some of them nd being a huge movie fan they were Great representations characters i loved. So a year and 6 Detolfs later full of Hot toys, ssc Clones, blitzway scarface (2 1/4scale figures) im well and truly hooked haha.

Couldn't afford the Toy's McCoy Indiana Jones when I was younger ...

review_mccoyindy_large.jpg

(Looks a little goofy now, but it was legit at the time.) When Sideshow revealed their ROTLA Indiana Jones for 1/4 the price of the Toys McCoy, I bit.

Didn't really get into it until Enterbay's Jack Bauer, and HT Bank Robber Joker, though ... two headsculpts that still hold up today. Prior figures just weren't good enough to bother.

Still buy a couple of figures a year. Got a few Batman figures since then. Reeve Superman. Enterbay Bourne. Have a George C. Scott Patton on order.

SnakeDoc

Talking over this with my dad. Turns out before I got Action Man, I wanted the Captain Scarlet pedigree ( my dad didn't mention pedigree in the conversation) 1:6 figure, but my dad couldn't find it anywhere (1967 / 1968) so got AM instead. My memory of wanting the Scarlet figure was that it came from getting the AM. Anyways, I do know that I would still like to add a boxed Captain Scarlet Pegigree figure to my collection.

strongly agreed with you I'm a movie buff myself and no one should judge and I don't think a lot of people judge us for this hobby. They're displayed in glass and looks great!!, when people see it they know it's a cool collecting hobby, at least the younger generation around our age would understand that. I would say only the older generation and old fashion people would think your a kid when they see this in your home.

Really only been in the game for over a year and half. I had no interest in figures then, but i did collect Collectors editions of games if they came with a statue. Anway as time passed i came across neca during my Gears of war mad phase and thought they looked great so i bought a few. I left it for about 3 months i never bought anything else. Untill i was just browsing i came across Kotobukiya's Artfx star wars line( huge star wars fan) i fell in love and bought a few of those.Then i was browsing Amazon looking at other Koto statues and came across Hot toys mark V and thought it looked pretty cool so i went on youtube to check out videos and i couldn't believe the detail and sculpt on some of them nd being a huge movie fan they were Great representations characters i loved. So a year and 6 Detolfs later full of Hot toys, ssc Clones, blitzway scarface (2 1/4scale figures) im well and truly hooked haha.

great story so much like mine, we got hooked with kotobukiya first then as we search and we know how much figure worth we end up with hot toys =)

I was just thinking about this literally as I logged into sideshow freaks. I remember back in 2006, when I was 12, a catalouge came in the mail called "Things You Never Knew Existed." And on the last page, I saw the sideshow Bespin Han Solo. I was always big into Star Wars, and when I saw that, this is how I reacted: :horror So i begged my parents to get it for me until they finally caved. And the rest was history.:lol I still have that figure to this day.

I hated that Kenner couldn't make the Six Million Dollar Man 12" to fit in with GI Joe. They had to go and make him 13". Just as bad as Big Jim being only 10". And companies still do it. Look at DCD's oversized (non) 1:6 DC superheroes.

i could not agree more, action figures were a huge part of my chilhood, them and matchbox cars were the be all and end all of little boys, oh and the rca race tracks, lol...i had all the makes and you are right, they never really mixed size wise,,,,mego were way too small, and the g.i. joe i guess was the start of the 1/6 figure for the hobby,,,with real clothes and accessories and such,,,,correct on the d.c. stuff, why 13 inch?? i think there stuff would fly in second hand value if we were able to bash these with other 1/6 figures..or make a custom,,,,i just made a 1/6 bizzaro from a dc direct suit, had to sew the uniform to a muscle body to get it right....last time i try that, takes forever to get it right,....i can see them now at a table saying "ok lets do a 13 inch line that is not compatible with anything and ruin the market for us".....real shame..

I've been buying 6" figures again for a couple years. I've always liked figures and thought they were cool to display and have been a pretty big Batman fan for life basically. I went to a comic shop while I was out of town one time and saw some DC Direct figures that I thought were awesome. I ended up buying a couple of them and from there I bought a pretty decent size collection of DC Direct Batman figures. I also bought the random figure here and there of movie or television characters I like.

Buying 1/6th stuff was kind of unintentional to be honest and really only started over the last summer or so. I was searching toy reviews on YouTube and kept seeing Hot Toys in the results a lot. I ended up finding a reviewer I enjoyed watching (Sean Long) and my interest basically started there. Like many others I'm sure the amount of detail and realism that goes into these figures just blew me away and I had to get some of them. I haven't gone overly crazy but so far I have Lt. Jim Gordon (SWAT Suit Version) and the DX12 Batman. I also made a custom Bruce Wayne with the DX12 head.

Right now I have DX11 Joker, Selina Kyle/Catwoman, Bane, and DX13 Battle Damaged T-800 on pre-order. The temptation is there to get more but I'm trying to stay somewhat selective and only buy characters from franchises I absolutely love.

I don't really buy many 6" figures anymore unless there's something I really like. Mostly because I'd rather save the money to put towards more Hot Toys figures.

Last edited:
Right now I have DX11 Joker, Selina Kyle/Catwoman, Bane, and DX13 Battle Damaged T-800 on pre-order. The temptation is there to get more but I'm trying to stay somewhat selective and only buy characters from franchises I absolutely love.

Yeah yeah..... like thats the first time we've heard that one...

Welcome to the um.... Forum.

Internet%20Addiction%201.gif

Back