How did you become a 1/6 scale figure collector?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: How did you become a 1/6 scale collector?

The epidemic . . . ER . . . collection all started with patient zero . . . ER . . . the first figure and the infection . . . ER . . . collecting bug became infectious . . . ER . . . quickly grew from that point.

you make me lol errr.....errr lol great story tho nice and simple haha

I was really into GI Joe as a kid, but I'm old enought that I had the 12" figures more so than the 3 3/4" figures. I really liked the Adventure Team. As an adult, I got a few of my old figures and bought parts to fix them up. I really liked Sideshows Star Wars stuff, but didn't start buying until the armored figures were made. I now have all the armored Troopers and Vader. I also have a few Hot Toys figures as they are just too awesome. Once you see one of the better Hot Toys figures in person, its easy to get hooked.

June 1998. I saw the dream figures of my childhood while visiting a friend in California, A Reveal Darth Vader and Emperor:

images
images

Ya if msrp continues to rise I think it will really hurt the 1/6 scale industry. I mean if they start charging 350 msrp in a few years alot of people will be priced out of this hobbie, and even those that can still afford it will cut back or at least think twice before pulling the trigger. Its 1 thing when u drop 1k and get 5 or 6 figures, its a whole new ballgame if 1k only buys u 3 of them lol.

yea dude, another thing that I think HT not afraid to up their price is because there's nothing but awesome review about their product, only few people complains and so they think they can price it higher. when you watch a youtube video all you hear is nothing but how awesome how amazed and how good the figure is and some people even say things like oh HT didn't have to do this but they did anyways....to me the more the better and you keep your mouth shut :lol...now, next time HT might reconsider and say "hey! that guy is right we didn't have to do this" ...people get their figure and their so happy to a point where they forgot how much they spent on it and they go and say such reckless thing.

Bank Robber Joker. Still have him, and his box art is still awesome.

At that point, I started to sell everything else I used to collect (Play Arts and anime PVC statues mostly).

Funny how I shifted from mostly Japanese oriented stuff to western just because of how much more impressive the collectibles were. If Hot Toys were to get licenses on some of these Japanese series, I'd be living in a box.

Collecting makes me like movies I never really thought/cared about before... now I have figures $200 of them.

LOL same here I just stopped with the anime figure and now just pure HT...but there are some anime figure i do want to own maybe i'll collect them when there's nothing to get from HT :lol

My uncle grew up poor and never had any toys as a child. But he ended up with a fortune and left several of his nephews and nieces an endowment fund in his will, conditional on every cent being spent on toys. I don't even like these things, but it was either this or trains.

interesting story, your fate is to collect figure :lol

It's been about a month that I have started and I already have spent over a grand on 4 figures. I think it was an accidental Google or Youtube search that I saw the 1/4 Enterbay Joker. I didn't care about the price even though $375 is a crazy amount for a figure but the clothes, the likeness, the weapons, detail, and craftsmanship just blew me away. Next came the 1/4 Enterbay Bruce Lee, then the Hot Toys Classic Predator. And yeah it's a disease/addiction because my DX T-800 and the Hot Toys Captain America First Avenger are coming as I type. I got Blitzway Carlito's Way and the Hot Toys Iron Man Mark VII on pre-order. Lord help me.

HT just drawn us into it with how realistic and cool it is in the palm of our hands lol....and yea! it's really awesome how wicked their accessories and weapons are too.

as for me it will be 2 grand with the pre order that's coming and it's only been a month =), but then again it's only because I need to catch up on some figures.

I started with McFarlane.. mostly Movie Maniacs, then moved to Neca, since thats where the movie figures were going.

Then my friend who was also a collector started buying the early HT's. He got the First Blood Rambo, Alien Marines, and AVP Predators. At the time i thought they looked pretty ugly, especially the Pred's. The head was so big.

Then Yulli and JC Hong came, and the sculpts were so good esp. for the time. Rambo III, told myself i was only gonna get the essentials. Only gonna get 1 (exactly what i'm saying with the 1/4, which i now have 5). The rest is history.

lol awesome dude and you know what, I love how HT keep on improving on their next wave of releases...i felt the same way with predator, the head is so big I didn't like that myself lol and now they look right and so damn good.

Ive "collected" for literally decades but I wont bore you with the whole story from the Kenner SW, Super Powers, TMNT, Masters of the Universe to the McFarlane Spawn/Movie Maniacs Days to NECA etc etc. But what got me into 1:6 was actually the Hot Toys MMS90 Predator. I pre-ordered that sucker right away. Once I saw that sucker I decided I was jumping off 7" scale onto 12". I sold off most of my collection to start getting Hot Toys. While I was waiting for Predator I did research on the company, what they had done prior etc. My first actual HT figure(s) that I got in my hands was the At Worlds End Jack Sparrow and TDK Bank Robber Joker and Ive been neck deep ever since.

Though now my collecting has become more focused on just movie themed. 1:6 and very few 1:4 high end pieces.

Yeah same pretty much just focusing on movies theme. I wouldn't have space for 1/4 scale, wouldn't even fit into my glass display lol and their pretty much double the price of 1/6 but that 1/4 dark knight is kinda temping.

Ive been collecting toys my whole life. but My first foray into 1/6 was medicoms Jedi Luke skywalker. I was amazed at the quality and head sculpt. Yeah it's weak now, but at the time, all we had to compare it with was hasbros. The articulation, the outfit, the lightsabers...I was floored and hooked. I was wondering when they were gonna do vader, or if they were gonna even make him at all, till I happened upon an issue of hobby link Japan, where they had one picture featuring medicom Luke in lightsaber combat with vader.

Once again, I was floored and couldn't wait until they released him. When he dropped, I snatched him up and was speechless at the quality and craftsmanship. At that point, I was like that's it, 1/6 scale is where it's at, and that's all ill ever pick up.

I still think like that today, but still buy the occasional action figure and transformer every now and then. But since medicom introduced me into the world of 1/6, I mainly focus on that scale. To be quite honest, I don't really remember my first Ht figure...I do remember buying a bunch the same year I started. In that year, it was robocop, ripely, power loader, one of the Rambos...then the one figure that made me a diehard fan was Leon s Kennedy from one of the greatest videogames of all time...Resident evil 4. It was then that I became a true believer in HT. the sculpt, outfit, the accessories...oh my, the accessories. Remember the time when HT blasted you in the face with tons of accessories? And charged you $150 too? Those were the days.

Anyway, there were many figures from other companies in between. Such as Takaras batman begins, Takaras wolf brigade character, sideshows Star Wars figures, ssc Xfiles...oh and I have the trio from HTs Appleseed offering. Once again, tons of accessories for a fraction of what they cost now.

Good times...good times.

awesome story dude. man would love to pay $150 now and come with a bunch of accessories would be good time for me :lol

My entering into 1/6 figs was in 2003 when i first picked up The SST Nosferatu! I was amazed at the detail of the figure and the overall quality compared to the toys i played with as a kid. 10 years later, the figure look even better!

I really like the different stories and how the path that it lead us into collecting these 1/6 figures. It's really cool that we don't know each other but yet we share the same hobby.

I really like the different stories and how the path that it lead us into collecting these 1/6 figures. It's really cool that we don't know each other but yet we share the same hobby.

:exactly::goodpost: Its so cool to share :family

How did you become a 1/6 scale collector? Well, it's an epic saga. In fact, it would take about six films to tell this story. However, the first 3 films would suck very hard, but the last 3 films, those would be very good, even though the ending of the very last film would be ridiculous....

Specifically . . . my 1:6 journey in becoming a 1:6 scale figure collector did not start with GI JOE, but THE ULTIMATE SOLDIER from 21STCT starting in December 1998.

I started seeing advertisements from 21STCT in Lee's Action Figure News & Toy Review. I went to the local mall and stopped by the KB TOYS (remember them?) store and they had the basic carded figures and a few modern era uniform sets. I purchased a couple of the basic carded figures and the modern USAF CCT & USMC FORCE RECON uniform sets.

That's how it all started for me.

:exactly::goodpost: Its so cool to share :family
Yeah totally - great read so far folks! :hi5:

I got into 1/6 figures slowly - I initially had little interest in them.

Beginning roughly in around 2008, it was a process of going to a few different forums & just reading / looking at pics - & as others have mentioned, going to Michael Crawford's site.

I learned about HT through him - among other licenses he reviewed 1/6 figures from, & while not particularly wowed by what had been on offer up until that point, started to think of the wonderful possibilities if certain companies nailed my dream characters.

When I first saw the HT Ledger Bank Robber Joker, it was one of those moments where there was no need for thinking it over - it was one of the best figures in that scale I had ever seen!! That went STRAIGHT onto my list (still had nothing yet). A little time went by, then in 2010 they announced the first T2 Arnold.. -> :thud: :exactly:

Those two figures immediately impressed me without ANY deliberating - I ordered the Arnold & was / am blown away by it. It's one of my most cherished pieces.

Not long after, I found that Joker figure for $95 shipped via a local online retailer, & couldn't believe it - bought!!! :panic: :lol

Since then, I've been a convert. That said - I'm extremely picky, & only buy my faves. My list is pretty short, so until they pop up, I just sit on the sidelines & wait basically. In the meantime, kicking around on the boards is a great way to enjoy the hobby indirectly while you're waiting. :)

Back