How did you become a 1/6 scale figure collector?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: How did you become a 1/6 scale collector?

I've been always buying toys and such but mostly mechas and robots because humans were always badly finished and never liked sculptures.
One day i was on AICN and saw an ad for the MMS117.
I was like "wow this look nice but no way its really as nice for real" so i searched for in hands pics and man i was flabbergasted by the quality.
I'm hooked since.

6176106202_96648ff25a_b.jpg

As a kid. (always wanted that red car :lol) i did have the Snowboarder and snowmobile and a bunch of other not shown above.

Years later i came across the SSC Vader when i was collecting props and got Sideshows Samaritan Pistol Replica after that came the HT IM MK II or Terminator Salvation figures, a bunch of HT and SSC since then, got into ThreeA and now mostly stick to Statues as 1/6 other than EB and 3A is pretty repetitive now.

It's been about a month that I have started and I already have spent over a grand on 4 figures. I think it was an accidental Google or Youtube search that I saw the 1/4 Enterbay Joker. I didn't care about the price even though $375 is a crazy amount for a figure but the clothes, the likeness, the weapons, detail, and craftsmanship just blew me away. Next came the 1/4 Enterbay Bruce Lee, then the Hot Toys Classic Predator. And yeah it's a disease/addiction because my DX T-800 and the Hot Toys Captain America First Avenger are coming as I type. I got Blitzway Carlito's Way and the Hot Toys Iron Man Mark VII on pre-order. Lord help me.

I was already buying 1/6 medicom figures back in 95, but I lost all/ most of my cards, figures etc when I moved.

Fast forward to 08, I was browsing for 1/6 TDK stuff on eBay when I saw tumbler, joker and batman auctions and I was quite amazed by the details and quality of the proto, but when saw HT is based in HK, I was kinda skeptical since I doubt HT could do such figures, since Medicom which was a much superior brand at that time couldn't even mass produce it at that level.

A few weeks later, I went to my local toy shop and had the chance of inspecting the figure in hand (v1 joker) and I was blown away with the details, paint and outfit. Bought it and a days later, thought that I should get a Batman to go with the Joker. So yeah, after that day onwards, been buying and upgrading Batman's and Jokers :lol

I started with McFarlane.. mostly Movie Maniacs, then moved to Neca, since thats where the movie figures were going.

Then my friend who was also a collector started buying the early HT's. He got the First Blood Rambo, Alien Marines, and AVP Predators. At the time i thought they looked pretty ugly, especially the Pred's. The head was so big.

Then Yulli and JC Hong came, and the sculpts were so good esp. for the time. Rambo III, told myself i was only gonna get the essentials. Only gonna get 1 (exactly what i'm saying with the 1/4, which i now have 5). The rest is history.

Ive "collected" for literally decades but I wont bore you with the whole story from the Kenner SW, Super Powers, TMNT, Masters of the Universe to the McFarlane Spawn/Movie Maniacs Days to NECA etc etc. But what got me into 1:6 was actually the Hot Toys MMS90 Predator. I pre-ordered that sucker right away. Once I saw that sucker I decided I was jumping off 7" scale onto 12". I sold off most of my collection to start getting Hot Toys. While I was waiting for Predator I did research on the company, what they had done prior etc. My first actual HT figure(s) that I got in my hands was the At Worlds End Jack Sparrow and TDK Bank Robber Joker and Ive been neck deep ever since.

Though now my collecting has become more focused on just movie themed. 1:6 and very few 1:4 high end pieces.

For me it was jus' a spur of the moment. I was bored and on the computer and thought, "I really would like to have a Batman statue - preferably a Keaton one." I Google'd that and came across this site displaying the DX09 Keaton up for preorder. I said, "Oh, *****."

I plan on collecting a few figures - iconic ones. So far I've got the Keaton DX09, Nicholson DX08, Classic Predator, Bale DX12. I plan on getting the Joker 2.0, maybe Bane, a 1:6 or 1:4 Endoskeleton, Robocop and ED-209.

Ive been collecting toys my whole life. but My first foray into 1/6 was medicoms Jedi Luke skywalker. I was amazed at the quality and head sculpt. Yeah it's weak now, but at the time, all we had to compare it with was hasbros. The articulation, the outfit, the lightsabers...I was floored and hooked. I was wondering when they were gonna do vader, or if they were gonna even make him at all, till I happened upon an issue of hobby link Japan, where they had one picture featuring medicom Luke in lightsaber combat with vader.

Once again, I was floored and couldn't wait until they released him. When he dropped, I snatched him up and was speechless at the quality and craftsmanship. At that point, I was like that's it, 1/6 scale is where it's at, and that's all ill ever pick up.

I still think like that today, but still buy the occasional action figure and transformer every now and then. But since medicom introduced me into the world of 1/6, I mainly focus on that scale. To be quite honest, I don't really remember my first Ht figure...I do remember buying a bunch the same year I started. In that year, it was robocop, ripely, power loader, one of the Rambos...then the one figure that made me a diehard fan was Leon s Kennedy from one of the greatest videogames of all time...Resident evil 4. It was then that I became a true believer in HT. the sculpt, outfit, the accessories...oh my, the accessories. Remember the time when HT blasted you in the face with tons of accessories? And charged you $150 too? Those were the days.

Anyway, there were many figures from other companies in between. Such as Takaras batman begins, Takaras wolf brigade character, sideshows Star Wars figures, ssc Xfiles...oh and I have the trio from HTs Appleseed offering. Once again, tons of accessories for a fraction of what they cost now.

Good times...good times.

Awesome stories guys, and great thread idea!

For me ive always had toys (mainly Star Wars, Gundam, Dragonball, and power rangers), I stopped for a while in Junior high/ highschool as I thought id get made fun of, then in 12th grade I picked up a couple more starwars figs (hid em in my sock drawer) but thought they were awesome! this was like 06/07. then I moved into the city with my mom (who encouraged my nerdiness) got a job at a Hobby shop as they sold star wars toys, but they also carried sideshow/ Hot Toys.... after about a month of staring at these cool 1/6 predators everyday my mom bought me one (B-Day gift) the first p2 pred.... and boom goes the dynamite :rotfl

ever since Ive been collecting HT, Predator still, Marvel and Batman. I also collect hasbro star wars and marvel, Bandai robot damashii Gundams, Figuarts Drangonball Z, play arts MG and HALO, McF HALO, Sideshow star wars, and what ever else I need :lol

Awesome stories guys, and great thread idea!

For me ive always had toys (mainly Star Wars, Gundam, Dragonball, and power rangers), I stopped for a while in Junior high/ highschool as I thought id get made fun of, then in 12th grade I picked up a couple more starwars figs (hid em in my sock drawer) but thought they were awesome! this was like 06/07. then I moved into the city with my mom (who encouraged my nerdiness) got a job at a Hobby shop as they sold star wars toys, but they also carried sideshow/ Hot Toys.... after about a month of staring at these cool 1/6 predators everyday my mom bought me one (B-Day gift) the first p2 pred.... and boom goes the dynamite :rotfl

ever since Ive been collecting HT, Predator still, Marvel and Batman. I also collect hasbro star wars and marvel, Bandai robot damashii Gundams, Figuarts Drangonball Z, play arts MG and HALO, McF HALO, Sideshow star wars, and what ever else I need :lol

Dude, your mom rocks! Holy crap!

Dude, your mom rocks! Holy crap!

Yeah shes one of the few people who ever supported the things I like, my dad has come to terms that im not going to change now (im 23 lol) so he doesnt bring it up much anymore, and lucky me I have never had a GF get scarred away by it either! they actually all been really cool about it, just like my mom lol

I was in a mall and they had a comic book store. Went in to kill some time and saw the 1/6 Tumbler. They wanted $600.00 for it so it was easy to resist. Spent about 60 days thinking about the Tumbler, started googling, and was hooked. Got my first figure about 10 days ago. Have 5 on preorder or layaway.

I just recently became one last year. For years, I've drooled over images of Hot Toys products in the past but never took the plunge due to the high prices.

When the Avengers came out last year and seen the LE Iron Man go up for sale, I quickly went for it. I figure if I didn't like it, I could always resell it.

When Iron Man arrived, I was immediately hooked! No regrets and no turning back now! I've got 5 pieces now with about 10 more on preorder. 2013 is going to be a fun but expensive year! :wink1:

I have always read and collected comics. A few years ago I was helping out at a friend of mine's comic store (worked on some Sundays for store credit type of deal). We had gotten in the Hot Toys Ghost Rider figure. I remember seeing it and being blown away by the hellcycle but laughed at the price. A month after it had come out, I broke down and decided to get it and apparently with my store credit earned and the discount the owner gave to me as an employee I was able to get it free of charge. I then ended up getting the Medicom RAH Venom, Venom as Punisher, and RAH Daft Punk figures from the store a week later. A week after that, another comic shop in my area had a sale on statues and I was able to get the red/blue spidey LSB and black suit spidey LSB at 60% off. Since then, my collection has gotten to be crazy. I tend to order most all Marvel figures, anything Spiderman related and Batman related, and anything Tron.

Yeah shes one of the few people who ever supported the things I like, my dad has come to terms that im not going to change now (im 23 lol) so he doesnt bring it up much anymore, and lucky me I have never had a GF get scarred away by it either! they actually all been really cool about it, just like my mom lol

Bro, I,love my Gf. We kinda had a small debate on my likes and hobbies. So I dropped knowledge on her, making her realize that my hobbies such as games, toys are no different from her likes such as corny *** love dramas or clothes/shoes shopping.

She understands me and even got me a figure for my bday.

I lucked out, some girls out there will only view the stuff we like as simply kids stuff.

Bro, I,love my Gf. We kinda had a small debate on my likes and hobbies. So I dropped knowledge on her, making her realize that my hobbies such as games, toys are no different from her likes such as corny *** love dramas or clothes/shoes shopping.

She understands me and even got me a figure for my bday.

I lucked out, some girls out there will only view the stuff we like as simply kids stuff.

put a ring on it man :lol

My GF atm is like that, surprises me with stuff for xmas and my BDay, been a great couple of years, I definitely want to keep her, she even said I could have a room just for my stuff and maybe a couple pieces by the TV in the living room if we move in together, which is pretty cool of her

put a ring on it man :lol

My GF atm is like that, surprises me with stuff for xmas and my BDay, been a great couple of years, I definitely want to keep her, she even said I could have a room just for my stuff and maybe a couple pieces by the TV in the living room if we move in together, which is pretty cool of her

Haha you ought to take your own advice and slap a ring on it too!

Man, your Gf sounds made up :rotfl :1-1:

One more thing i noticed is that people that start collecting 1/6, especially HT, usually go on a HT binge the first 2-3 months.

They go back, and look at the entire catalouge and always find stuff they'll want so badly that they eventually break down and spend rediculous amounts on.

This is less prevelant nowadays, since HT has their ver.1's and 2's. But just 2 years ago, when figures were still "collectible" and they didn't re-release stuff.. people payed crazy amounts for the older figures.

Of course, after 2 years of collecting, you start to calm down, and see things more clearly. You wait for stuff.. and don't go nuts anymore. Missed the Thor figure? fine... wait for Avengers... don't like it? fine.. wait for Thor 2... you can "guarentee" it will be made.

Back