How did you become a 1/6 scale figure collector?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had the GI Joe HOF wave 1 figures when I was a kid and loved those figures so much. I got back into 1/6 while I was at a Pop Culture Expo in Calgary, AB and saw one of the vendors had SSC Snake Eyes on display. I was completely blown away by the details and the $150 price tag. A month later I broke down and got Snake Eyes with the thought that I would only buy Snake Eyes, Cobra Commander, Duke and Stalker to match my original HOF figures from 1991. As SSC continued to release new figures in the GI Joe line I couldn't resist how awesome they each were, I've got 8 of them now and can't wait for Destro and Baroness! My first foray into Hot Toys was the Red & Blue Spider-Man. I grew up watching Spider-Man cartoons and reading the comics so when I saw the Hot Toys Spider-Man I had to get it, of course thinking that it would be my only superhero figure. As you guys probably would agree, Hot Toys collecting is a slippery slope, I've now got 14 Marvel and DC Hot Toys! :)

I guess mine started when I kept going to the toy store and they had all the new Hot Toys figures on display. That's what really got me into them. But slowly I guess. Since I can only afford two a year. Not to mention the ones I like are already super rare and expensive as feck.

It started with me being a Stallone fan.I had action figures from Rocky,then introduced to HT when i saw their Rocky figures.
From there i have had a little bit of everything.

right now,im trying to get out and just keep a few of my favourites.Boy is it a pain in the *** to try to sell so many figures:lol

In the same boat, selling up and keeping a few stallone figures.
Got into collecting figures with the mcfarlane alien and predator on light up egg base and moved on to hot toys after the mcfarlane 12 inch aliens, preds.
Have sold alot of the neca,mcfarlane figures, but still have a fair amount to go.
1/6 collection is more quality over quantity, but still takes up alot if space and money to keep up with and theres always new great customs and releases.
Every time I think I have a grail another comes round the corner.
Slippery slope:)

This is what got me into 1:6.
13Predator_Predator(1).jpg

Saw the announcement for the 1/6 Eric Draven The Crow figure... now I'm hooked. I need to find some reasonably priced ones... Looking for fairly priced stuff will be difficult. Things like DX09 Batman, DX10 Arnold, DX12 Bale, etc. Sheesh, I joined the game late hahaha

The original AvP Predators got me into the hobby, I had all the McFarlane figures but when Hot Toys came along they just became the king of action figures to me.

I was priced out of robot toys, so I switched to 1/6. These got worse. I might be back into bots...

i had 12 inch figures from the mcfarlane days such as the mandarin spawn, talisac and lucidique from tortured souls including predator and alien.

but for the high end stuff it was just a natural evolution in collecting because i had the income to afford it.

this is the first hot toys that did me in

This is what got me into 1:6.
13Predator_Predator(1).jpg

im very selective because these figures are so pricey and im also running out of room

It all started back in 1969! Got my first Johnny West and Comanche Horse. Then for a few years got a few more here and there.

Also got Gi Joes in the early 70's Even had the helicopter.
Big Jim and his Kung Fu Studio.

Then My dads place burn and I lost it all.

Early 90's I Bought all the 1/6 Joes that came out. In 92 we got TRU here and went crazy buying Batman returns stuff and the first wave of BTAS figs. 98 or started using the internet and Discovered all the Cool stuff there was. Mostly buying Batman and DC stuff. Kids came along and kinda stopped. Sold tons and kept some. Bought here and there when I found something cool Batman related.
Then last fall decided I wanted to start buying stuff. Started buying some DC Direct 13 in figs. Pre ordered the SSC Batman. Looking for a deal on a SSC Joker right now. Bought the Medicom Hush Batman.
Don`t care for the New Batman Movie stuff. I want a 89 batman but not at the prices they are selling for. Hopefully HT will do the Returns fig.

I got into by pure accident really

Was googling Iron Man suits and then Youtube because a friend told me that someone had a really cool lifesize suit

Saw a video and clicked on it and it turned out to be a review of the Mark 3

Found one on eBay, bought and loved it. I think the review was Sean Long... can't watch his review now though, frustrates me and I don't know why

Anyways, even though it was Iron Man that got me into it, I ended up selling it and putting up my other Iron Man figures for sale to foucs on classics like Terminator and Robocop

Aww yeeahh!

I started seriously collecting figures of various sizes (from 3.75" Joes to 12" Marvel Legends) since I was about 8 years old, but I got introduced to high-end 1/6 just 2 years ago when HT 1989 Batman came out. I'm a Batman fan and Keaton's my favorite Batman so I ordered that figure right away, not knowing that it would suck me in to a collecting blackhole that's hard to get out of. Months and thousands of $$$ after I branched out into other lines, but am now in the process of streamlining and just focusing on super-heroes and figures (already sold a good number of figures outside the super-hero genre) :)

Like many of the 80's kids here I was into collecting Gi Joe's, Transformers, He Man and other awesome figures of the generation as well as comic books and Garbage Pail Kids trading cards.

I stopped collecting figures altogether in my teens but once or twice a year I'd always wander into the LCS and pick up a few annual comic trade paperbacks to catch up to current story arcs.

I stumbled across this Marvel Dr Doom Maquette at my LCS one day and scooped him up:

0804_dstdoom_sm.jpg

When I got him displayed I started web searching other Doom statues, which quickly led me to the grail PF and to Sideshow's site as well as this forum.

After browsing the Marvel 1/6 threads it wasn't long before I took the plunge on my first 1/4, Sideshow's Hulkbuster EX Comiquette, and first 1/6, the Iron Man Mark III BD version. :banghead

Last edited:
Used to play with figures when I was a kid like He-man, G.I. Joe, Mask, Ninja Turtles, Ghostbusters, Jurassic Park etc...
When I really started to collect it was with the movie maniacs series and ended with some statues. Had a break of 2-3 years collecting. The 1/6 scale figures started in early 2013 when I saw the preview of the DX13 (T2 is my nr1 action movie) , I was blown away. Once PO I checked the other figures of Hot Toys and the addiction was inevitable...

I was collecting back during my teen years and had always had a thing for 1/6 medicom figures. I stopped for 11-12 years since most of my collection was gone when I moved, and was into the partying and clubbing scenes in between those years.

When TDK was announced, I thought that I'd get just 1 Joker figure to represent the movie, and browsed ebay for the highest priced figure and the HT was on top of the list. Bought 1 locally as I want to inspect it in person (was a bit hesitant since HT is a HK company, and I didn't think it could surpass Medicom back then :lol)

Back