How did you become a 1/6 scale figure collector?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: How did you become a 1/6 scale collector?

I saw the Toys McCoy Indiana Jones figure when it was released back in the 90's and started doing research into getting one. When I saw the price tag I decided to try and make a custom version. So I got into custom figure making before I got into 1/6 figure collecting

As far as figure collecting goes, I was into 3 3/4 to 6" to 7" figures. The 80s and 90s got me into it from Kenner Superpowers, Batman, Star Wars and Terminator.

That's what spawned this crap as an adult. 1/6 collecting is just the bigger "adult" version of what I did as a kid.

I was always into action figs as a kid, He-Man Thundercats etc. Then I grew out of that stage, then in my mid 20s I grew back into it. Lol IDK, Obviously when I was a kid I would play with my figs now im more of a futzer. :lol

I had a few 1/6 figures, but nothing serious. They were mostly Sideshow figures, like the 007 Goldeneye 1/6 (Bond and 006), Platoon, etc. Also the Hasbro Star Wars figures from the 90s/early 2000s. Nothing to write about, I wasn't that into them. I remember winning a Sideshow LOTR Boromir from Rebelscum and not really thinking anything of it.

12inchbobafett(otc).jpg

What made me become a serious 1/6 scale collector were a few figures. The first being the Hot Toys T-800.

I saw this review on Crawford's site,

https://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW_091205b.htm

review_htterm_5.jpg

And knew I had to have it. Likeness aside, it was the best Terminator figure I had ever seen.

I was at a comic/toy expo convention and a dealer had it for $90 bucks. I somehow got it for $75. It was my first Hot Toys figure.

The second thing thing that really got me into the game was seeing this review before The Dark Knight. I was amazed by the Takara Batman. Again, I was on Crawford's site and I clearly remember seeing the Takara as the definitive Batman.

https://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW_073106a.htm

review_takbats_large.jpg

I also remember Pitu's review and thinking, "that settles it, I gotta preorder this guy from BBTS".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7b0RNJBhNW4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMs8uJ3rSe4

The last figure that cemented it for me was this figure. As soon as I saw the specs/pics for it I was hooked,

2796832080_2d796d4956_o.jpg

20081014011535311_jpg.jpg

I didn't think the Hot Toys TDK line was that special. I thought muppet Joker looked like a joke and I had the Takara Batman already. When I saw the Bank Robber Joker and compatibility for the V1 body, I really got into the game.

Awesome man HT just bring those living sh*** into life, into your hands, into your home and into those glass display. They looks so good thumb up to HT

My first 1/6 scale figures were the T-1000 and T-800 from Sideshow. The Jakks Rocky line got me into figure collecting and then one day I discovered the Sideshow Toy website by accident. Being a huge Rocky fan I then found this website and discovered the HT's Rocky line. The miserable rest is history :lol

lol nice. Once we found our favourite character and it looks so real and so good we just got hooked to getting it.

I had the occasional 12" Gi Joe when i was a kid but nothing serious. However, I had been a serious collector of transformers for about 15 years or so when I discovered the Sideshow Lord of the Rings and Star Wars figures though Darren Carnall and his website and mods to the SS figures. Being a huge fan of both properties and never liking the previous figures by other companies, I was blown away by the detail and fabrics instead of completely plastic toys. Spending $40-$50 on them back then though was like pulling teeth :lol Going from transformers to those were my introduction to 1/6 and eventually discovering 1/4 PFs. Don't regret it though since my transformers collecting has slowed down quite a lot since those days

much like everyone else here, it was the Batman and Iron Man properties.

My first Hot Toy was TDK Batman OC suit. It's been downhill since then lol

much like everyone else here, it was the Batman and Iron Man properties.

My first Hot Toy was TDK Batman OC suit. It's been downhill since then lol

right now I'm collecting pretty hardcore to catch up on some figures and the one coming out very soon but after that I think it will get slow and I will continue to collect but only the one that I really like.

lol nice. Once we found our favourite character and it looks so real and so good we just got hooked to getting it.

That's the other thing I forgot to mention. In the early 90's I think it was Toybiz that came out with a 7" animated Spiderman line. That and the Kenner Star Wars 3 3/4" stuff. I bought them to sort of relive my childhood. It just wasn't the same so I quit for a while.

The brilliant thing about Sideshow, Hot Toys, Enterbay, etc is that they've found a way to have the collector relive his or her childhood while at the same time have them appreciate the small details only an adult could care for.

A better paycheck. I've always admired 1:6 scale figs and drool wherever I find them but couldn't afford until recently. Then I happened to take a trip to Frank & Son (collectibles show in L.A.), saw the Black Spider-Man on top of Sandman and thought it was the coolest thing I'd seen. Not DX06, not Iron Man, not even the DX12, but Black Flippin Spidey did me in. Who cares about the movie, right? :) I've never spent more than $25 on a figure and having to shell out close to $200 took some major lubing. Now I've found myself buying 2-3 at a time. :cuckoo:

A better paycheck. I've always admired 1:6 scale figs and drool wherever I find them but couldn't afford until recently. Then I happened to take a trip to Frank & Son (collectibles show in L.A.), saw the Black Spider-Man on top of Sandman and thought it was the coolest thing I'd seen. Not DX06, not Iron Man, not even the DX12, but Black Flippin Spidey did me in. Who cares about the movie, right? :) I've never spent more than $25 on a figure and having to shell out close to $200 took some major lubing. Now I've found myself buying 2-3 at a time. :cuckoo:

and that's the good thing about the black spiderman suit version it comes with the awesome sandman as the base it just feel it add so much more value to the figure but for me I'm trying to avoid collecting the same character so I can use that money to get different character and I really prefer my first HT spiderman to be the red suit version, I pre ordered the amazing spiderman one.

Last edited:

better paycheck indeed....however I solved this really easy, just do some overtime :) to support my obsession of figures collecting :lol

I was born 1970, so when star wars came out I had the first wave of the Kenner figures, never could afford the vehicle sets. Friends of mine had mego star trek, and we had many hours of fun with those and the mego super heroes. Next for me were the mego micronauts, loved those toys. Teenage years were spent playing and painting dungeons and dragons, all of my early toys were either given away or trashed. My 20's were spent educating myself and chasing women, establishing myself in my chosen profession. I collected cmic and sport cards during this time. At a comic show I found two mint carded star trek figures and I was introduced back to the toys of my youth. A tv show in Canada called hyperspace showcased hot toys Rambo in an episode, and I was hooked. Jacksons lotr trilogy hooked me into the toy biz figures, have them all. Now all my collecting budget goes to 1:6th, I have over 80 hot toys and another 20 figure from other companies. I have also begun dabbling in the custom market, we're true masterpieces are offered.

The epidemic . . . ER . . . collection all started with patient zero . . . ER . . . the first figure and the infection . . . ER . . . collecting bug became infectious . . . ER . . . quickly grew from that point.

How?
GI Joe
Best of the West
Fighting Yank
Man from U.N.C.L.E.
Thats how it started.

Honestly. I hated 1/6th scale figures when I first got into Sideshow. It started with PF's...which led into 1:1 Busts. Sooner (rather than later) I started running out of room in my man cave because of the size of these items and I wanted to expand my options. I picked up a few Star Wars 1/6th scale figures but wasn't completely blown away. By the time pics starting coming in of Hot Toys TDK and Joker (v1), I was literally blown away. I ordered TDK Batman immediately. I was in such awe of that figure that I had to have his counterpart. The collection of 1/6th scale figures grew from there.

Yeah I agreed with you, I feel like I'm always at the edge when things just goes sky high on price but hey we're really late into this hobby and that's the price we pay =) For me the price it's a huge jump because those Japanese anime figure I got cost me around $20-$60 to Kotobukiya $120-$150 and now HT $250-$300, each time it's double up :lol and yes a few figure I have to catch up on and keep up to date with the new one coming out as well. We would be able to get more figure if the price is still around $150 :lol

Ya if msrp continues to rise I think it will really hurt the 1/6 scale industry. I mean if they start charging 350 msrp in a few years alot of people will be priced out of this hobbie, and even those that can still afford it will cut back or at least think twice before pulling the trigger. Its 1 thing when u drop 1k and get 5 or 6 figures, its a whole new ballgame if 1k only buys u 3 of them lol.

Bank Robber Joker. Still have him, and his box art is still awesome.

At that point, I started to sell everything else I used to collect (Play Arts and anime PVC statues mostly).

Funny how I shifted from mostly Japanese oriented stuff to western just because of how much more impressive the collectibles were. If Hot Toys were to get licenses on some of these Japanese series, I'd be living in a box.

Collecting makes me like movies I never really thought/cared about before... now I have figures $200 of them.

My uncle grew up poor and never had any toys as a child. But he ended up with a fortune and left several of his nephews and nieces an endowment fund in his will, conditional on every cent being spent on toys. I don't even like these things, but it was either this or trains.

Back