Hot Toys vs Sideshow Star Wars 1/6 & 1/4 General Discussion Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Sideshow vs Hot Toys?

force_construction.jpg

Which Sideshow figure did you pick up?

Honestly, I don't think it's so black and white. Coke vs Pepsi, Porsche vs Ferrari, iOS vs Android. It just depends.

I believe both companies will be careful not to tread on each others toes due to their close relationship. Even Howard said they weren't likely to do R2-D2 and C-3P0 for a very long time since Sideshow is doing them now, and R2 in particular looks to be a solid release. I believe HT will focus solely on OT and the ST, where Sideshow will do droids, vehicles, creatures, and perhaps more PT, CW, and even EU if Disney backs off a bit. Heck, Rebels figures would be fantastic.

Sideshow's droid releases in particular have been absolutely amazing. I've had IG-88, battle droids, the probe droid, etc. and they're so well engineered that I don't think they'll easily be supplanted. Same will go for items like the Speeded Bike, I'm sure. And for all the complaints about milking the Clone cash cow, their modern clones have been nothing short of fantastic. They've stepped up their game in a lot of ways, and though I don't think they can match HT in terms of painting skin (eyes especially), doesn't mean they don't look great on the shelf.

So like anyone rational will tell you, buy what you like and don't worry about anything else. Life is short. Why focus on what might be, when you can be happy now for what is a relatively safe purchase.

It's hard to say--stuff like the Stormtroopers and Vader have been done really well by Sideshow so if you already have them then you might skip the Hot Toys versions. On the other hand, stuff like the Han figure was done by Sideshow a long time ago when they weren't as good as they are now, so the Hot Toys one is better.
For R2-D2, I don't see Hot Toys doing one any time soon, and the Sideshow one seems to be really really good anyways.

Quite simple: buy what YOU like in the first place, not what other people tell you should like. And do a bit of research regarding any figure you intend to buy.

Quite simple: buy what YOU like in the first place, not what other people tell you should like. And do a bit of research regarding any figure you intend to buy.

:exactly::goodpost:

As a rule of thumb, ignore HT rimlickers. Buy what you like and you'll be happy.

Sideshow still has its fair share of "rimlickers", too. :lol

But I agree with the consensus: Simply buy what you like (if you feel the price is at least somewhat reasonable). It ultimately doesn't matter which company made it as long as you enjoy it.

Also, don't get caught up in histrionics. For example, "Garbage" is hardly the term I'd use to describe the current SW offerings from either Hot Toys or Sideshow. (It might, however, be an apt label for things like Sideshow's Nathan Drake and 1:6 Comic Superman :lol ).

Just be rational and reasonable and everything takes care of itself.

Buy the figures you think have the most potential, then mod it to your personal tastes! If you have the skills and patience. If not, be happy with what is offered by either company.

Modding was fun and awesome when figures were $50-$100. Now that they're $200-$300 each (or MORE) I haven't the will nor the patience to spend another dollar getting them to look like what they should right out of the box for that kind of money. Just my opinion, but it's the principle of the matter. You should get what you pay for. And that's become increasingly debatable (see: Sideshow's new Comic Superman 1:6 figure... a $200 item that looks like it should be $80-$90).

Modding was fun and awesome when figures were $50-$100. Now that they're $200-$300 each (or MORE) I haven't the will nor the patience to spend another dollar getting them to look like what they should right out of the box for that kind of money.

Yeah, that's where I'm at. I thought HT's Strike Suit Captain America was going to be a grail figure of mine but I knew that if I got it I'd have to get a new body, tweak/remove the fat suit, and possibly buy an extra classic colored shield. Even though I know there will be people out there who successfully created a "perfect" Strike Suit Cap I just had to say no.

I'm normally a huge HT fan, but when it comes to SW I've frankly preferred most of the recent offerings by Sideshow so far.

Just because the HT figures are ultra-detailed doesn't automatically make them better in my opinion.

Pay no attention to anyone here.

BUY MEDICOM!

I gotta say, despite their obvious scale issues the Medicom R2 and R5-D4 are pretty nice. I'm glad I was able to scoop each one up for under 100 bucks.

I'm normally a huge HT fan, but when it comes to SW I've frankly preferred most of the recent offerings by Sideshow so far.

Just because the HT figures are ultra-detailed doesn't automatically make them better in my opinion.

To be fair, what most people seem to be comparing recently are the PROTOTYPES from the 2 companies. And until Sideshow can prove they can produce production figures that regularly match the prototypes (especially when dealing with human portraits) I'm not prepared to give them the blue ribbon. While HT's SW protos have issues, at least we know we'll be getting figures that look as good as (or better than) the prototypes. That's as big a deal as the ultra-detail to me.

Modding was fun and awesome when figures were $50-$100. Now that they're $200-$300 each (or MORE) I haven't the will nor the patience to spend another dollar getting them to look like what they should right out of the box for that kind of money. Just my opinion, but it's the principle of the matter. You should get what you pay for. And that's become increasingly debatable (see: Sideshow's new Comic Superman 1:6 figure... a $200 item that looks like it should be $80-$90).

For 200$ i don't expect perfect products, for 300 I do. I remember the first HT BR going for 150$, and honestly there has been a big step-up in quality every since. I expect the HT Vader to be near perfect when released. Going with their previous armored figures (Iron Man) Vader should be easy for them.

As a rule of thumb, ignore HT rimlickers. Buy what you like and you'll be happy.

Buy what you like, not others.

Sideshow still has its fair share of "rimlickers", too. :lol

But I agree with the consensus: Simply buy what you like (if you feel the price is at least somewhat reasonable). It ultimately doesn't matter which company made it as long as you enjoy it.

11-this.jpeg

Honestly, nothing will be "perfect" someone will knitpick something beyond belief and it IS true that newer releases will make your older ones see a bit lesser. HT does it to their customers all the time. I still haven't found my "perfect" Luke figure from all offerings so far but I love my SSC Boba Fett despite it's errors pointed out.

Buying SS is like is like being with a fat girl,it's fine as long as your friends don't find out:lol

Back