Hot Toys vs Sideshow Star Wars 1/6 & 1/4 General Discussion Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Sideshow vs Hot Toys?

Modding was fun and awesome when figures were $50-$100. Now that they're $200-$300 each (or MORE) I haven't the will nor the patience to spend another dollar getting them to look like what they should right out of the box for that kind of money. Just my opinion, but it's the principle of the matter. You should get what you pay for. And that's become increasingly debatable (see: Sideshow's new Comic Superman 1:6 figure... a $200 item that looks like it should be $80-$90).

Yeah as much fun as it can be to mod and improve a figure, it's not something you want to have to do with EVERY figure you get. Anything over $200 should hopefully require the absolute minimum of adjusting and modding to look better.

Re: Sideshow vs Hot Toys?

Modding was fun and awesome when figures were $50-$100. Now that they're $200-$300 each (or MORE) I haven't the will nor the patience to spend another dollar getting them to look like what they should right out of the box for that kind of money. Just my opinion, but it's the principle of the matter. You should get what you pay for. And that's become increasingly debatable (see: Sideshow's new Comic Superman 1:6 figure... a $200 item that looks like it should be $80-$90).

Totally agree, the cost of figures takes all the fun out of it and unless you have a big archive of leftover figures it's very expensive to do; because I've periodically left the hobby and come back into it having sold off most of my stuff I am really looking for stuff that's perfect out of the box rather than stuff where you have to buy a head here and a belt there.

Unfortunately there are some must-have figures, like Indy, where pretty much the only option you HAVE right now is to piece it together from other figures. And it doesn't look like that's going to change any time soon.

Unfortunately there are some must-have figures, like Indy, where pretty much the only option you HAVE right now is to piece it together from other figures. And it doesn't look like that's going to change any time soon.

I hear you, I've been there with Indy... oh boy was that a money pit, and in the end I was never quite satisfied, yet I kept throwing money at this shirt, that belt... eventually it stopped being fun and I sold off the lot.

I know everyone said to get what you like, but it's hard to decide when I haven't seen Hot Toys offerings yet, and even then, they will be prototypes and probably won't be released for a long time.

I was also wondering if it would be wise to get the sideshow Luke if Hot Toys will be announcing theirs soon? Same goes for Han Solo - I see a lot more discussion on the Hot Toys one so I'm not sure how the Hoth Han will turn out, what do you guys recommend there?

Thanks.

As a rule of thumb, ignore HT rimlickers. Buy what you like and you'll be happy.

I read a recent article stating that rimlicking was experiencing a renassance. I think Brian Williams' daughter played some role in that.

Well, when you're talking a $300, what if you mess up the mod or the customization? It was bad enough with a $125-150 fig. What's a $300 fig with a failed major mod worth?

I hear you, I've been there with Indy... oh boy was that a money pit, and in the end I was never quite satisfied, yet I kept throwing money at this shirt, that belt... eventually it stopped being fun and I sold off the lot.

Haha... Indy... the curse of 1/6.

Might as well get em. HT won't be touching Hoth related figures for a while.

Yep... I'm getting everything except the Taun and excited as hell (based on the Probot quality.)

I read a recent article stating that rimlicking was experiencing a renassance. I think Brian Williams' daughter played some role in that.

Lena Dunham is so edgy.

Get it?
rimshot.gif

Might as well get em. HT won't be touching Hoth related figures for a while.

I'm wondering who will do the eventual new Bespin Han. I would have originally thought HT, but it seems like they're going to be preoccupied with ANH figures for awhile (and I can't see them releasing an ESB Han so soon after their ANH version).

And Sideshow has already made a couple ESB figures so a new Bespin Han kinda seems like a natural next step (along with maybe a Bespin Leia). Unless they have an issue with revisiting figures they've already done in the past or something...

Yep. I think there is very little chance Sideshow re-makes a Bespin Han. Hot Toys will hopefully get to him someday! :pray:

I didnt think Sideshow were going to remake previouly released figures. I think HotToys will make it before sideshow will redo the figure

Well they did make a new Darth Vader figure. Yeah technically one was ANH and one was ESB/ROTJ, but for all intents and purposes it's still just an upgrade of the same basic figure, since the differences between the costumes are so minimal.

Well they did make a new Darth Vader figure. Yeah technically one was ANH and one was ESB/ROTJ, but for all intents and purposes it's still just an upgrade of the same basic figure, since the differences between the costumes are so minimal.

That's the key. They will re-do a figure but only if it is different enough. For instance, I can see Sideshow re-doing Jedi Luke but in his Endor Gear. He'll still have the same black outfit underneath, but will have the additional poncho and helmet to make him distinct. There isn't anything you can add or change to Bespin Han to make him a new, distinct figure.

And for the record, there are plenty of differences between ANH and ESB/ROTJ Vader as many here will attest. Heck, there are people here that were annoyed that the ESB/ROTJ Vader was an amalgam of the two movies since they could see two separate figures for those!

Well the first Bespin Han is so primitive and cheap looking that a newer version probably would look like a very different figure in the end.

But whatever. Bottom line, I just really want a new Bespin Han, dammit! :D

That's the key. They will re-do a figure but only if it is different enough. For instance, I can see Sideshow re-doing Jedi Luke but in his Endor Gear. He'll still have the same black outfit underneath, but will have the additional poncho and helmet to make him distinct. There isn't anything you can add or change to Bespin Han to make him a new, distinct figure.
Honestly I'd be okay if Hot Toys chose to release the main outfits for the main characters and Sideshow did the more variant outfits. Sideshow is doing the Hoth figures already and are doing Luke in his X-Wing gear, maybe next they could do versions of Leia, Lando, and Han from Jabba's palace (Luke's look would be covered by Hot Toys if they were doing the main looks) and the Endor versions of Luke, Leia, and Han. I guess the Jabba's palace Han wouldn't be terribly different than the Bespin look though other than the lack of jacket.

I can see Sideshow and Hot Toys splitting up the work that way. Makes sense. It gives HT a chance to re-do most of what Sideshow has done in the past, which is the main outfits for most of the characters, and it gives Sideshow something different to do with the main characters so they're not stuck doing just aliens and armored figures. All without stepping on each other's toes.

Edit: Oooh! 6,000 posts! :dance

Yeah after their Hoth figures, an Endor Han, Luke and Leia from Sideshow would be the perfect next step, and probably the coolest new set of figures to see from them.

Especially since it'll probably be freakin forever before HT gets to anything from ROTJ.

Back