Hot Toys vs Sideshow Star Wars 1/6 & 1/4 General Discussion Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let's do the NEW MATH for the completists out there, shall we?

1. Luke Tatooine
2. Han Tatooine
3. Leia Princess
4. Luke Yavin Pilot
5. Luke Hoth
6. Han Hoth
7. Leia Hoth
8. Luke Hoth Pilot
9. Luke Jedi
10. Han Endor
11. Leia Slave
12. Leia Endor

$230 average price on 12 figures = $2,760 to collect them all. Even if you drop the poo-poo Endor versions and keep only one Luke pilot, that’s only three figures. And you've only collected three characters from a universe of characters and cluttered up the better part of a whole Detolf.

Stick to just one version of Luke, Han, Leia = $690

Let's do the NEW MATH for the completists out there, shall we?

1. Luke Tatooine
2. Han Tatooine
3. Leia Princess
4. Luke Yavin Pilot
5. Luke Hoth
6. Han Hoth
7. Leia Hoth
8. Luke Hoth Pilot
9. Luke Jedi
10. Han Endor
11. Leia Slave
12. Leia Endor

$230 average price on 12 figures = $2,760 to collect them all. Even if you drop the poo-poo Endor versions and keep only one Luke pilot, that’s only three figures. And you've only collected three characters from a universe of characters and cluttered up the better part of a whole Detolf.

Stick to just one version of Luke, Han, Leia = $690

:goodpost: ... scarey money, this is why I don't do completist.

Say goodbye to what was....

the old Sideshow posse.jpg

Say goodbye to what was....

And say hello to what there will be!

stah wahs.jpg

Boring character selection. Variant troopers. Dark skin completions. Inaccurate domes. Iron Man replacing releases that will never happen!

Are hot toys and sideshow really in bed together?

Now that hot toys is selling sideshow stuff overseas and sideshow sells all (most) of the exclusive hot toys stuff state side.. Just what does this mean for future Star Wars releases.

Will they not cross over on each other? Will we not be seeing a c3p0 or r2 any time soon from hot toys? Hot toys seems to be tackling "older" figures that sideshow themselves would love to update. ANH solo, ANH vader. Stormtroopers that have been almost impossible to find. They are doin a 1/4 "rotj" fett not 1/6. Then there is the hoth solo and Luke from sideshow. So does that mean we will not be seeing either of these two from hot toys?? Sideshow just produced a 1/6 vader from empire and again hot toys does ANH.

Smart business says These two companies will not step on each other's toes anytime in the near future. This is already well known??

Re: Are hot toys and sideshow really in bed together?

Thanks. I'll check them out. But in the meantime as long as SS's prototypes turn out well I'll be happy either way.

Sideshow vs Hot Toys?

Hey guys, a bit of a mix of a personal question, and a question for you guys.

I'm new to collecting 1/6th scales, in fact, I only got my first one in July last year and it was a sideshow figure. It was pretty amazing, besides some minor problems.

However, now that Hot Toys have the rights to and have started making Star Wars figures, I'm a bit lost on what to do. Do I continue to buy Sideshow stuff like the R2D2 and Jango Fett, or do I wait for the Hot Toys stuff? I've heard from a lot of people that Hot Toys are pretty much always better and are the go to for 1/6th scales, is this always true?

And what are you guys going to be doing? Will you keep the figures you have already, or sell them in favour of the Hot Toys versions?

Thanks, and may the force be with you. :wink1:

Re: Sideshow vs Hot Toys?

Since HT got the SW license, neither one company nor the other has produced figures that set one clearly above the other. Read the threads for the figures you're interested in, you'll find the answers there. Few people will be interested in discussing this all over again here.

I wouldn't be waiting for a HT R2 though.

Re: Sideshow vs Hot Toys?

As a rule of thumb, don't buy Sideshow. Hot Toys will eventually make it better. There are obviously exceptions to this rule - currently most of Hot Toys offerings look like garbage too, while Sideshow's R2D2 looks great. Also, be discriminating, only buy what you want if you think that's the best version you'll get for a number of years. Of the announced Hot Toys figures only the Stormtroopers look like they're worth getting now. If you want a good ANH Han Solo figure wait for Hot Toys to announce one, eventually they will.

Back