Hot Toys vs Sideshow Star Wars 1/6 & 1/4 General Discussion Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the info and thoughts, interesting!!! The reason I started this thread was because Sideshow and Hot Toys had some "thing" going on before, as was mentioned earlier. But someone has since clarified that Hot Toys has their own Star Wars license (is this confirmed somewhere?), freeing them to do whatever they want. I just thought it odd that the two companies that were somehow "sharing" a license in the past (which may not be the case now?) would be making similar characters, which made me wonder if that might continue.

I asked because I thought the Sideshow 3P0 looked a little wonkey in the eyes. Didn't want to get one only to have Hot Toys come along with a superior version. Same with Vader. I have the 1st SS Vader and thought about getting the new one (I know they are from different films, but I really don't care for the minor differences- one can represent the character in my collection. I just wanted an improved version). But with a Hot Toys version coming I figure I'd wait for that.

Sean

Last edited:
Re: Just a question on Hot Toys vs Sideshow releases

LFL/Disney get a piece of every single figure sold. So yes letting the directly compete does them no good. They didn't let it happen before why would they start now. It's just bad business for them since one of the two or even both may not sell as good and that would lessen the amount of $ they get. By spacing the releases out from both of them increases the odds of selling more of both thus giving them more money. Your plan can only hurt them can never help them.

I really don't see Hot Toys accepting license terms stating that they can't make any characters that Sideshow has released within X amount of time. I mean, isn't that what Jack Bauer has been saying this whole time. Hot Toys never went all out after Bespin Luke because they were trying to carve out their own license, not one that had terms that made them play nice with Sideshow. If they wanted to do what was in SSC's best interest, they would've kept going after Bespin Luke.

Between SSC, HT and Disney, the only party that has anything to lose is Sideshow. I would've thought it would be in Sideshow's best interest to keep doing characters like Hammerhead, Bossk, Greedo, the aliens and other things that people won't necessarily pay top dollar for, and let Hot Toys do the heavy hitters. Sideshow could've thrived in that sub-$200 market, but apparently they don't agree, so we'll see.

It's also possible that Hot Toys has licensed with Disney Japan and Sideshow has licensed with Disney North America, or however Disney splits up their businesses, so really it's not even the same Disney dictating terms. That happens quite frequently as well. Look at Lord of the Rings, SSC has a "global" license, but ACI and Asmus have licensed out with the "Eastern" arm of New Line to carve out a new license. You look at the Street Fighter license, Jerry Macaluso has long had a relationship with Capcom, but he was surprised (and disappointed) when Kids Logic announced their Street Fighter series. Licensors do whatever they want that will make them the most money. They're not going to give someone the Star Wars license and then limit them to what characters they can make, that only lessens the value of the license, but also lessens potential royalties.

Honestly, I think Hot Toys is going to do Force Awakens figures, go back and re-do the remaining core cast and move on while Sideshow is going to continue to flesh out the OT, maybe a few PFs from Force Awakens. I don't think you will see Force Awakens 1/6 from Sideshow.

I really don't see Hot Toys accepting license terms stating that they can't make any characters that Sideshow has released within X amount of time. I mean, isn't that what Jack Bauer has been saying this whole time. Hot Toys never went all out after Bespin Luke because they were trying to carve out their own license, not one that had terms that made them play nice with Sideshow. If they wanted to do what was in SSC's best interest, they would've kept going after Bespin Luke.

Between SSC, HT and Disney, the only party that has anything to lose is Sideshow. I would've thought it would be in Sideshow's best interest to keep doing characters like Hammerhead, Bossk, Greedo, the aliens and other things that people won't necessarily pay top dollar for, and let Hot Toys do the heavy hitters. Sideshow could've thrived in that sub-$200 market, but apparently they don't agree, so we'll see.

It's also possible that Hot Toys has licensed with Disney Japan and Sideshow has licensed with Disney North America, or however Disney splits up their businesses, so really it's not even the same Disney dictating terms. That happens quite frequently as well. Look at Lord of the Rings, SSC has a "global" license, but ACI and Asmus have licensed out with the "Eastern" arm of New Line to carve out a new license. You look at the Street Fighter license, Jerry Macaluso has long had a relationship with Capcom, but he was surprised (and disappointed) when Kids Logic announced their Street Fighter series. Licensors do whatever they want that will make them the most money. They're not going to give someone the Star Wars license and then limit them to what characters they can make, that only lessens the value of the license, but also lessens potential royalties.

Honestly, I think Hot Toys is going to do Force Awakens figures, go back and re-do the remaining core cast and move on while Sideshow is going to continue to flesh out the OT, maybe a few PFs from Force Awakens. I don't think you will see Force Awakens 1/6 from Sideshow.
You just dont get it this is nothing about what HT wants its all about what is best for LFL and they make all the rules in the end. HT doesnt have choice on terms really even it there are no terms all LFL has to do is decline them the ability to release that figure at this time, they have the absolute final say. Every single licenses item that involves SW must be approved by LFL. I have sat in their office I have seen the insane amounts of stuff they have sitting there after it was approved. SW license is practilly a license to print money , companies are going to agree to most anything LFL wants. I am only aware of one company who tried to really take on LFL as far as terms and interestingly enough they no longer exist. Also none of them are directly licensed with Disney, Hasbro owns the license and it subs it out to SS and HT (use to sub to Medicom).

I'm not sure what's going to happen, but I'm a bit nervous buying SS figures now as HT may come out with a superior version down the road?

Thanks for all the info and thoughts, interesting!!! The reason I started this thread was because Sideshow and Hot Toys had some "thing" going on before, as was mentioned earlier. But someone has since clarified that Hot Toys has their own Star Wars license (is this confirmed somewhere?), freeing them to do whatever they want. I just thought it odd that the two companies that were somehow "sharing" a license in the past (which may not be the case now?) would be making similar characters, which made me wonder if that might continue.

I asked because I thought the Sideshow 3P0 looked a little wonkey in the eyes. Didn't want to get one only to have Hot Toys come along with a superior version. Same with Vader. I have the 1st SS Vader and thought about getting the new one (I know they are from different films, but I really don't care for the minor differences- one can represent the character in my collection. I just wanted an improved version). But with a Hot Toys version coming I figure I'd wait for that.

Sean

Basically it appears Medicom's 'sub-licence' came up for grabs and Hot Toys went for it (apparently Hasbro retain the overarching licence until 2021, having obtained it via buying Kenner in 1991.. Kenner had bought the original SW toy license in 1977).. which is an interesting parallel because Sideshow had a working relationship with Medicom over their figures, despite them both making SW products, just as Sideshow do with retailing Hot Toys figures.. tbh, until I see genuine evidence that Sideshow and Hot Toys are not getting along, I think everyone is currently reading too much into the situation.

I am going to judge each release on its own merits.. and I'm certainly not going to pass on a Sideshow release just because HT might get around to making the same figure at some point in the future.. or not, as the case may be.. apart from anything else, HT is still quite capable of QC mistakes like any other company.

good to see you continue to act like a 2 year old.

VASith tried to pick a fight in the 'Hot Toys Foray into SW 1/6....' thread on Friday night, then pretended (after thousands of posts) he didn't know that adding a new post (expressing derogatory opinions about other members of the forum) to another thread, immediately lifts it to the top of the thread menu of that section.. the same SW section as the original thread he had just been trying to pick a fight in.. laughably he instead claimed he was being 'stalked'.
Pretending the Cantina thread does not host posts expressing similar opinions (albeit generally in less offensive terms) on a fairly regular basis, would be ignoring the facts.. instead I chose to make a joke about it.
Feel free to elaborate on your objection.

VASith tried to pick a fight in the 'Hot Toys Foray into SW 1/6....' thread on Friday night, then pretended (after thousands of posts) he didn't know that adding a new post (expressing derogatory opinions about other members of the forum) to another thread, immediately lifts it to the top of the thread menu of that section.. the same SW section as the original thread he had just been trying to pick a fight in.. laughably he instead claimed he was being 'stalked'.
Pretending the Cantina thread does not host posts expressing similar opinions (albeit generally in less offensive terms) on a fairly regular basis, would be ignoring the facts.. instead I chose to make a joke about it.
Feel free to elaborate on your objection.
And like a lil kid you decide to follow him, then take it multiple threads.

So this is now a versus thread? That's just asking for trouble. :medic

This is essentially Sideshow vs Medicom for the new generation. We had a thread then, we'll have a thread now. It simply stops the need to make a new thread whenever an "issue" arises that effects 1/6th figures.

What a weak ass vs thread.

SS vs Medi ones were much more exciting.

It's only just begun.

And don't egg it on.

263.gif

What a weak ass vs thread.

SS vs Medi ones were much more exciting.

Yeah remember how we would all bash the Medicom quality to price ratio and how crazy they were to command such high prices..!!? and how affordable SS was in comparison..? oh how the tables have turned...

Medicom is still ****

also just read the fight in the other thread. :lol

Back