1/6 Hot Toys Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well the way it was funded means it can't flop financially as it's already made back it's budget (well cant make a loss anyway). Not sure if you guys have read the article about it's funding?

I think whether this film's considered a success or not and the odds of HT actually releasing figures from it hinge on one thing: August release in China. If it's a big hit in China and Hong Kong you can bet the figures will actually be released.

IF they release the two figures I will buy them at a discount. IF. I didn't see the movie but the figures are fantastic as sci-fi figures and I'm happy with that

I've seen the film a couple of time now ...and I love it :love ...a visual feast, and the 3D was amazing. :cool:

I definitely will order the figures :lecture ...If they ever see the light of day. :lol :pray:

This film will have 4. August premiere over here. :wink1:

:)

I think whether this film's considered a success or not and the odds of HT actually releasing figures from it hinge on one thing: August release in China. If it's a big hit in China and Hong Kong you can bet the figures will actually be released.

Valerian has to deal with Dunkirk, War if Apes, and Spiderman Homecoming in consecutive weeks in China.

I saw the movie today and just loved it. Not because I'm French and I'm a fan of Luc Besson but just because I thought it was a good movie. The plot is simple but well constructed and well-told. Visually this film is a slap. It is even better to understand why G.Lucas and J.Cameron were inspired by the visuals and design of Christin and Mézière's eye. I think I returned to see it in VOST for better appreciated the perfomance of the actors that the dubbing in French makes less efficient I think. Thank you Mr. Besson for the idealistic breath that we lack so much right now.
If I can I will take the figures HT. If this could lead to the production of the figurine of the fifth element ...:pray:

I saw the movie today and just loved it. Not because I'm French and I'm a fan of Luc Besson but just because I thought it was a good movie. The plot is simple but well constructed and well-told. Visually this film is a slap. It is even better to understand why G.Lucas and J.Cameron were inspired by the visuals and design of Christin and Mézière's eye. I think I returned to see it in VOST for better appreciated the perfomance of the actors that the dubbing in French makes less efficient I think. Thank you Mr. Besson for the idealistic breath that we lack so much right now.
If I can I will take the figures HT. If this could lead to the production of the figurine of the fifth element ...:pray:

I hear it's doing pretty well there, my guess is your theater was pretty packed? Btw, I visited Paris two months ago (first time in Europe) and I must say the French people are very nice and welcoming.

I just NEEEEED Cara DeLevingne headsculpt (the final version...hope the better one that the prototype???), thats all! :D

some new pics
not mine
20375612_1643953525677624_285783042522521936_n.jpg20476311_1643953522344291_2367926369187264770_n.jpg20431706_1643953449010965_5089552525962245329_n.jpg

I do like these generally, but to me that sculpt really doesn't look like Delevingne (who I'd argue in turn doesn't "look like" Laureline, not that that troubles me hugely, it's an adaptation etc etc)

I do like these generally, but to me that sculpt really doesn't look like Delevingne (who I'd argue in turn doesn't "look like" Laureline, not that that troubles me hugely, it's an adaptation etc etc)

Italost looks like an older version of Newt from Aliens!

I'd buy these in a second- hope they get made. Will catch the movie on blu ray...

Saw the film earlier, in 3D.

The good: visually maybe one of the best films made since CG effects became a thing - a lot of moments where I knew I logically had to be looking at something CG, but my brain refused to believe it wasn't real. Weta did amazing work here. There's some great cameos by big-name actors. Everything moves along at a good pace despite the 2.5 hour runtime. Some utterly stunning worldbuilding and designs, many of which really deserve to be made into toys and statues.

The bad: Cara Delevingne surprised me by being a lot better than I expected as Laureline, but that's not to say she's good - has nowhere near the charisma or presence of a young Milla Jovovich in Fifth Element. Dane DeHaan, sorry to say, is just wrong for Valerian - his attempts to be a cocky old-fashioned action man come off as annoying more often than they do endearing. The thing that probably hurts the film the most in my opinion, a very weak villain who's barely-present - this film was crying out for a Zorg-type character and an actor of Gary Oldman's abilities to portray them. Doesn't have any of the creative, fast-paced interweaving editing of Fifth Element either. Wastes the amazing Rutger Hauer in a one-scene talking-head cameo early in the film.

Overall I'd say a solid 6.5/10 of a film that manages, for a few scenes at least, to recapture some of the Eurocomic vibe that made Fifth Element so much fun. It's annoying to consider how much better this could have been with more appropriate casting for the protagonists, a stronger villain, and better editing though. It's so close to being something great but never quite makes it across the line. I don't think it deserves to have crashed and burned as spectacularly as it has, however.

Saw the film earlier, in 3D.

The good: visually maybe one of the best films made since CG effects became a thing - a lot of moments where I knew I logically had to be looking at something CG, but my brain refused to believe it wasn't real. Weta did amazing work here. There's some great cameos by big-name actors. Everything moves along at a good pace despite the 2.5 hour runtime. Some utterly stunning worldbuilding and designs, many of which really deserve to be made into toys and statues.

The bad: Cara Delevingne surprised me by being a lot better than I expected as Laureline, but that's not to say she's good - has nowhere near the charisma or presence of a young Milla Jovovich in Fifth Element. Dane DeHaan, sorry to say, is just wrong for Valerian - his attempts to be a cocky old-fashioned action man come off as annoying more often than they do endearing. The thing that probably hurts the film the most in my opinion, a very weak villain who's barely-present - this film was crying out for a Zorg-type character and an actor of Gary Oldman's abilities to portray them. Doesn't have any of the creative, fast-paced interweaving editing of Fifth Element either. Wastes the amazing Rutger Hauer in a one-scene talking-head cameo early in the film.

Overall I'd say a solid 6.5/10 of a film that manages, for a few scenes at least, to recapture some of the Eurocomic vibe that made Fifth Element so much fun. It's annoying to consider how much better this could have been with more appropriate casting for the protagonists, a stronger villain, and better editing though. It's so close to being something great but never quite makes it across the line. I don't think it deserves to have crashed and burned as spectacularly as it has, however.

Good review ...I agree the most of it. :lecture ...but I loved the movie anyway. :lol

...just to clarify ...there are still 19 countries in the world ...that hasn't screened this movie yet. :wink1:

:)

Back