1/6 Hot Toys Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Valerian was an absolutely gorgeous movie. I recently watched it in 4K in our home theater, and it looked phenomenal. The color palette is eye-popping, the alien are fantastic and wildly imaginative (although some of the CGI creatures did devolve into the cartoony), the costumes are beautiful, and the environments are spectacular. However the casting of Dane Dehaan was absolutely abysmal. Cara Delevingne wasn't any great shakes either, but she was at least passable. Dehaan is a fine actor, but was completely unbelievable in the role. I just cannot believe that Besson or everyone else watching the daily footage coming back could not see how terrible a choice this was. Heck, Steven Spielberg pulled Erick Stoltz with Michael J. Fox on Back to the Future after filming for more than a month. I don't know if a casting change would have saved it because the script was pretty weak, but virtually every review I read singled out Dehaan. I think if they had cast a charismatic lead who could have brought a mix of roguish humor, sex appeal and action hero physicality, and made some story tweaks here and there to make the plot more coherent, the movie would have at least gotten to Fifth Element guilty pleasure cult status and possibly spawned a sequel or two.

I would be floored if HT produces these figures.

Agreed with everything except Cara Delevingne. She is easily as bad a casting choice as Dehaan. They both look like high school slackers, not Special Agents (who also apparently have some fearsome reputation preceeding them). But beautiful movie. I bought it on 4k just as a demo disc...

Back