1/6 Hot Toys Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Word is Luc Besson put up a lot of the money for the budget himself - like, in excess of $180 million. D'oh! :slap

It's rotten, but Hollywood has the international distribution system in a vice-like stranglehold at this point. It's why you see less and less foreign and arthouse films cutting in around the edges of endless superhero/tentpole franchise films and a couple of months of cheap horror movies and oscarbait with each passing year. Maybe ten years ago this film could have become a huge hit on word of mouth alone, but now in 2017 it's simply not going to be in theatres long enough to gain that kind of traction. Hollywood doesn't want competing product in their marketplace and they've done a very efficient job of killing this film in the cradle by ensuring it gets a day or two of showings at best in most locations.

It's also slightly annoying to me that so many people seem to be cheering on this film's failure. What a great message to send out, that there's no point in trying to make anything original, different, mould-breaking or independent any more :ohbfrank:

It's rotten, but Hollywood has the international distribution system in a vice-like stranglehold at this point. It's why you see less and less foreign and arthouse films cutting in around the edges of endless superhero/tentpole franchise films and a couple of months of cheap horror movies and oscarbait with each passing year. Maybe ten years ago this film could have become a huge hit on word of mouth alone, but now in 2017 it's simply not going to be in theatres long enough to gain that kind of traction. Hollywood doesn't want competing product in their marketplace and they've done a very efficient job of killing this film in the cradle by ensuring it gets a day or two of showings at best in most locations.

It's also slightly annoying to me that so many people seem to be cheering on this film's failure. What a great message to send out, that there's no point in trying to make anything original, different, mould-breaking or independent any more :ohbfrank:

True enough (tho it gets more complex when you dive into how this works, and the relationship between all the parts in play - but I feel you know this)

All that actually matters is that a director has made something they appear to be proud of, so that's a success. Whether it's any good or not, dunno, not seen it yet to form an opinion. But the beancounter **** about money, opening weekends, bums on seats, metacritc scores etc, yawwwwwn. Not a barometer of quality one way or the other.

As a barometer for whether Howard makes these figures tho... well, HT is in the beancounting game more than the art game, despite the creative talent they hire to amass those beans. So for them, the numbers & popularity probably will count for more. Good to see actual figures shown at least, but I'll believe it if shipping day actually arrives ;)

yes it may indeed find its audience in Asia
where I imagine they will appreciate more the designs,aliens and costumes

Didn't Avatar kinda flop here and after it rocked China, it started a trend back in the west? Hell, China is keeping the Transformers franchise afloat in box office.

lol, where is 'here' at? Avatar did over 700 million in US alone.

If I remember rightly Avatar is one of the few films to have a larger second week haul than its first. It took word of mouth to spread about the 3D actually being worthwhile before it really started making bank. Amazing to think that since then really only that film and Tron Legacy used the technology in a worthwhile fashion.

If I remember rightly Avatar is one of the few films to have a larger second week haul than its first. It took word of mouth to spread about the 3D actually being worthwhile before it really started making bank. Amazing to think that since then really only that film and Tron Legacy used the technology in a worthwhile fashion.

There's been plenty of quality 3D films since then.

:exactly:

:goodpost:

Didn't Avatar kinda flop here and after it rocked China, it started a trend back in the west? Hell, China is keeping the Transformers franchise afloat in box office.

I'm sure every studio would like a domestic flop of $700M. :lol

I hope that the movie will flop.
That these figures don't get released.
And that Besson loses a lot of money.
The guy is a ****ing cancer to the cinema , he cannot write or direct.
Rip off all he can, act like a ****ing fun nice loving guy.
He's a pedo, hack acting like a bully.
Wannabee Cameron with delusion of grandeur...

I hope that the movie will flop.
That these figures don't get released.
And that Besson loses a lot of money.
The guy is a ****ing cancer to the cinema , he cannot write or direct.
Rip off all he can, act like a ****ing fun nice loving guy.
He's a pedo, hack acting like a bully.
Wannabee Cameron with delusion of grandeur...

Where did he touch you?

:lol

Seriously, how can someone be so negative over a person making movies that it causes that much angst in you life? what have you accomplished?

Yeah...it flopped...in the Bizarro world...but in the real world it was the biggest domestic box office earner in movie history until 2015 when Force Awakens was released and is still the biggest world wide earner in history...epic fail!

Haven't seen Valerian yet but still want to in spite of the rough reviews...unfortunately the sad reality is that the movie is already a commercial failure (sad that people prefer to lay down money for the latest Michael Bay fighting robot fest but not for something a bit more unique). Good or bad though it flopped and I would say that as a result there is a 0% chance that these figures will ever see the light of day...maybe Hot Toys will release them when they get around to releasing the Tomorrowland figures they announced...before it bombed almost as badly as Valerian has...

People like a good story.
It can even be the same story told in a different way.

Until Hollywood realizes this.... Movies will continue to flop.

People like a good story.
It can even be the same story told in a different way.

Until Hollywood realizes this.... Movies will continue to flop.

...or not...when you look at the top 20 all time highest grossing films you get a Jurassic World, two Fast & Furious movies, and two Transformers movies...every one has the right to like what they like but not a good story in sight on that list...

Hahaha Well I was way off then. I guess I remember it differently. I remember the whole Pocahontas fiasco, and the Asia market eating the movie up. I'll chalk it up as my circle being against it and thats what I chose to reflect back on, then again, Disney wouldn't have made a park dedicated to the film if it was a tanker....

Last edited:
Back