Hot Toys TRON: LEGACY on hold?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
need quorra. should make her first, then by all means kill the line.

quorra > new goblin
quorra > black widow + abigail combined
quorra > another mark II retread

dont take whatever excuse ht dissed out at face value. it's not the scheduling problem. the reason those boring figs i mentioned above got made is because the previous figs in their respective line did well sales wise. the tron line didnt sell too well, hence ht chickens out. exact same thing with watchmen. be thankful you at least got sam & lightcycle, the watchmen fans still got no rorschach.

Would agree that Quorra should have been scheduled amongst the first Tron figures, but imo Rinzler should have been the lead off figure for this line. A dual disc wielding Tron Rinzler would have sold like hot cakes. Instead HT opted to go with the old man Flynn who even though I enjoyed him in the film, is quite a boring 1/6 to procure.

I'm guessing Kevin Flynn was done because his costume would be the easiest. I figure it was like when Sideshow started their 1:6 Star Wars line, most of what they put out for the first 18 months was Jedi characters. I think they all had the same robes with slightly different shade of brown each time.

It seems like at one time Hot Toys was committed to making light up figures for this line. I can't find the reference to that though. I just remember something like that. I don't know that they have cancelled the line for good, but if they have been working on a CLU or Quorra, the reference to scheduling conflicts could mean they still haven't figured out how to do an articulated figure with light up clothes,, especially light up clothes that have to look form fitting. The line could be done, but Hot Toys has been known to take their time on some things. Its possible we may not see anything for another year or more. It just sounded like that in order to do some of the characters in the way they wanted to it would have involved coming up with some technology that hasn't been done yet at that scale.

Here's my (very optimistic) take on this.

I think the on-hold situation might be due to HT/Sideshow release schedules.

Remember Predators ? HT launched Royce, Berzerker and Falconer and stopped. Then Sideshow launched their maquettes line-up starting with ... Tracker.

Only after that did HT officially announce their Tracker version.

I pray/think/hope it'll be the same kind of "policy" here. For example :
- Sideshow launching pre-orders for their Tron Legacy items at SDCC
- then HT announcing new characters

Worst case scenario : if this is indeed the end of the line with Sam and Kevin :( , I'll pair them up with Ultimate Clu and have Quorra and Rinzler maquettes displayed on another shelf.

You'll never see HT put Iron Man "On hold" :panic:

It's a different situation. Iron Man 2 came out in a relatively decent amount of time giving HT a good reason to keep going. And both movies were blockbusters and sold very well.

Same goes for Pirates, which didn't begin getting the Hot Toys treatment until the third movie. If we never gotten a fourth movie, that might have been the end of it for a good long time.

Tron would get a nice boost in attention if the sequel was for sure happening.

Actually when HT Iron man figures came out, it didn't really sell like hot cakes. I remember being quite hesitant about dropping $150 on the Mark I, and thank goodness I did! I think it wasn't until Iron Man II that the figures really caught some major traction. Figures will sell even if the movie is over and done with if the actual figure is well done. Blade II for example and Batman as well.

I bought Tron Legacy on Blu yesterday and watched it. Sucks that this line is on hold/cancelled... I'd probably would've picked up a Quorra fig had HT made one...

Here's my (very optimistic) take on this.

I think the on-hold situation might be due to HT/Sideshow release schedules.

Remember Predators ? HT launched Royce, Berzerker and Falconer and stopped. Then Sideshow launched their maquettes line-up starting with ... Tracker.

Only after that did HT officially announce their Tracker version.

I pray/think/hope it'll be the same kind of "policy" here. For example :
- Sideshow launching pre-orders for their Tron Legacy items at SDCC
- then HT announcing new characters

Worst case scenario : if this is indeed the end of the line with Sam and Kevin :( , I'll pair them up with Ultimate Clu and have Quorra and Rinzler maquettes displayed on another shelf.

I think this is a valid theory. In the latest set of Ask Sideshow questions Sideshow seemed pretty committed to their line of Tron:Legacy product and it sounds like they will make announcements soon. It wouldn't make sense for HT to announce more during Sideshow's roll out. I think we will see more figures, it will just be another year before anything gets announced.

Is sideshow really going to make Tron figures from the 2nd movie? Do we know what scale? I saw the video of them working on a idenity disk.

No one knows.
Just sitDUWN und wait...

z-z--Z-z-Z-z-Z-z--Z-z-Z-Z-z-Z-z-z-z-...

But I hope so, coz it'll be something that can prove that HT's part of the licenz on hold and not canceled.

This was a recent Ask Sideshow from about a week ago:

"Monday, June 13th, 2011
Is the Sam Flynn Light Disc still going to be produced? We saw a short video on the production blog a while ago and nothing since. Can you let us know if it’s still coming, and when it might be available for pre-order?

We are in fact developing lots of Tron Legacy products. Not only the Sam Flynn Light Disc set, but also a 1:4 scale Lightcycle and an as-of-yet-unannounced 1:4 scale villain too. Because the light features are so essential to Tron, we need additional time to work out all of the engineering and functionality on our products before they are ready for their big reveal. We may be able to show some of them at San Diego Comic-Con, or perhaps soon after the show."

I'm really hoping this means we will see an initial wave of SSC products, followed by some more HT product in the next year or so. IF SSC says they are planning to make lots of stuff six months after the movie came out they must see some kind of demand.

1:4 villain has to be CLU but 1:4 Lightcycle?!?! That thing is going to be huge!

1/4 villian could be Rizzler/Tron as well - martial arts pose with double discs ready to strike would be awesome.

1/4 light cycle is insane!

Unless Sideshow changed their plans since then, in their Tron Legacy Inside Look video, they said they're supposed to release possibly 4 items :
- 1:1 Disc & Baton replica
- 1/4 scale Sam Flynn on Lightcycle
- 1 maquette Rinzler
Here you can see the (final ?) design for Rinzler and on the right, you can catch a glimpse of a undisclosed Quorra product (maybe a 2nd maquette ?).

TronLegacyRinzlerSideshowMaquette.jpg

Not my favorite choice for Rinzler. As other members pointed out, I would have dreamed/prefered this pose

TronRinzler.jpg

with interchangeable heads and two different lights effects.

Anyway. The sooner Sideshow puts their products on pre-order, the sooner my theory about Sideshow/Hot Toys relationship will verify.:pray:

Rinzler will be cool but not at the top of my list (yes I know it IS Tron so that doesn't make much sense) but a 1:4 scale Lightcycle I might skip out on HT's for now to see SSC's. That'll be the piece worth having!

Hope they change the pose up for Rinzler, not feeling both arms behind his body in the sketch.

Looks like the Quorra pose is taken right off the Tron poster, which was pretty good.

A HT Rinzler is the main figure I wanted HT to produce along with Sam & Bike, I so hope it happens.

I remember reading that Sideshow wasn't sure they'd have their Tron stuff ready in time for SDCC because of the challenge of the lighting effects. I think it is encouraging that the HT Tron stuff is on display. I would think if the line was DOA they wouldn't devote display space on the floor to it. I remember when Sideshow did the Reservoir Dogs figures and they weren't displayed at Comic-Con shortly after the preorders started for them. The line was so dead they weren't going to bother to bring them.

Back