1/6 Hot Toys-The Terminator (T1)-MMS 238-T-800-(Battle Damaged Version) 1/6 Scale Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Article: Hot Toys-The Terminator-MMS 238-T-800-(Battle Damaged Version) Collectib

Hasta la vista - I don't care if I saw John teach it to him. 1. He shouldn't be trying to "shine" the T-1000 "on." 2. It sounds dumb and too catchphrasey, taking me out of the movie.

I need a vacation -Doesn't sound like the Terminator and he's apparently learned not only the phrase and concept of vacationing, but also the wit to use the phrase as a well timed one-liner? At least with "Hasta la vista," we can see that his use of it shows that he still doesn't "get it." So, scratch #1 from the above. Still, #2 stands - it's a "we need a catchphrase and he already did 'I'll be back,'" line.

Ta hell wit both of those lines.

Well, this is my theory - having the T-800 say it (I need a vacation) didn't mean the T-800 himself knew he was being funny or why it would be funny. He could have observed someone who was visibly tired and beaten down saying it and saw the similarity in context. It may simply have seemed funny to a human coming from him. Like human emotions generally, he recognises contexts for them without ever feeling those emotions himself. Or something.

Re: Article: Hot Toys-The Terminator-MMS 238-T-800-(Battle Damaged Version) Collectib

Man none of us can seem to agree on anything today. 'Of course, I'm a Terminator' isn't a favorite line of mine. I think a silent confusion would have been more appropriate there in response to John's ''Jesus, you were gonna kill that guy!''. John was making an exclamation, not really asking a question. It seemed too much like the line was intended as a reminder to the audience.

Man none of us can seem to agree on anything today. 'Of course, I'm a Terminator' isn't a favorite line of mine. I think a silent confusion would have been more appropriate there in response to John's ''Jesus, you were gonna kill that guy!''. John was making an exclamation, not really asking a question. It seemed too much like the line was intended as a reminder to the audience.
Well, the audience needed the reminder because that robot sure as hell wasn't killing anybody in that movie.

Why would a Terminator be confused by that? As far as he's concerned, John just went Captain Obvious on him. John just exclaimed, "You were about to do what you are programmed to do!" "Of course," seems like the logical response, not silent confusion.

Well, the audience needed the reminder because that robot sure as hell wasn't killing anybody in that movie.

The t1000 kills substituted perfectly for the lack of t800 kills in t2.

Why would a Terminator be confused by that? As far as he's concerned, John just went Captain Obvious on him. John just exclaimed, "You were about to do what you are programmed to do!" "Of course," seems like the logical response, not silent confusion.

I guess the next best thing would be for him to not respond at all, due to the obviousness of John's statement but that would be too subtle. Any kind of simple expression would be lost, being in the dark and with sunglasses on.

It just goes show that it's easy to overlook anything which could be considered bad writing when the final product is so great.

Even the "I'll be back" and "come with me if you want to live" lines could go from being fan pleasing homages to eye rolling parodies (a la T3 - admittedly not its only problems)

It just goes show that it's easy to overlook anything which could be considered bad writing when the final product is so great.

Even the "I'll be back" and "come with me if you want to live" lines could go from being fan pleasing homages to eye rolling parodies (a la T3 - admittedly not its only problems)

Yeah, I wouldn't go so far as to say really anything from the first two were bad writing. I mean, I can understand why the phrases I take issue with were used from a movie writing point of view, which is aimed at the broad audience, not the diehard nitpicker. I just don't particularly care for them.

T3 on the other hand, well there was that link to the big write up of how poorly conceived that one is. Some of the criticism goes too far though, not giving allowances for the format it is being written for: Hollywood Blockbuster Movie.

Yeah, I wouldn't go so far as to say really anything from the first two were bad writing. I mean, I can understand why the phrases I take issue with were used from a movie writing point of view, which is aimed at the broad audience, not the diehard nitpicker. I just don't particularly care for them.

T3 on the other hand, well there was that link to the big write up of how poorly conceived that one is. Some of the criticism goes too far though, not giving allowances for the format it is being written for: Hollywood Blockbuster Movie.

Yeah I think the harshest criticism for T3 comes from the die-hard fans of the franchise, as I recall on release it had fairly positive reviews. I still think it's an awful film regardless but maybe my judgement is clouded by the source material, as an blockbuster action film maybe it does it's job.

I actually have a friend who has never seen T1, barely remembers T2 but went to the cinema to see the third and fourth. For some reason I've never asked her how she rates the them (any terminator discussion is usually me expressing disbelief that she has never seen T1)

I guess the next best thing would be for him to not respond at all, due to the obviousness of John's statement but that would be too subtle. Any kind of simple expression would be lost, being in the dark and with sunglasses on.

I could have lived with it (silence). John already referred to him as a Terminator and got his clarification on that earlier in the film - ''Ok, now don't take this the wrong way, but you are a Terminator right?'' ''Yes, Cyberdyne systems model 101''. For the T-800 to then repeat it later ''of course, I'm a Terminator'', I dunno, the line comes across as kinda childish to me. I would have preferred silence after John's line, and then John would continue right into his next line ''listen to me very carefully OK? You're not a Terminator anymore, have you got that?'' etc etc

I actually have a friend who has never seen T1, barely remembers T2 but went to the cinema to see the third and fourth. For some reason I've never asked her how she rates the them (any terminator discussion is usually me expressing disbelief that she has never seen T1)

Sadly T3 is the only Terminator film I've ever seen in the cinema with an audience. Didn't bother with T4 because I assumed it would be crap. It was better than T3 but still not acceptable as part of canon for me. Too much silly $h!t goes down, John Connor being an idiot telling everyone who his mother and father were/are, the T-800 being ridiculously invulnerable at the end etc etc

Only Terminator film I saw in the theaters was Salvation. . .yeah. . .

My first was T2. It was my brother's b-day and he requested T2 so my mom took the both of us. I remember being less than thrilled as the title sounded uninteresting to my 11 year old self for whatever reason. Just like '89 Batman, she got us there late. The first thing I saw was naked Arnie kicking *** in the biker bar.

I saw T3 twice because it was nice to see Arnold on the big screen as the Terminator again. I like it as a popcorn flick but not as part of Terminator canon.

I saw TS in the theatre once.

Well, this is my theory - having the T-800 say it (I need a vacation) didn't mean the T-800 himself knew he was being funny or why it would be funny. He could have observed someone who was visibly tired and beaten down saying it and saw the similarity in context. It may simply have seemed funny to a human coming from him. Like human emotions generally, he recognises contexts for them without ever feeling those emotions himself. Or something.
Generally I don't enjoy quips like that in these kinds of movies, but I've always liked that line in T2. Totally get why others wouldn't, but it never bothered me and I always liked the delivery and the context (like the way you've described it, a-dev, works for me). "Hasta la vista" is the one I always thought was too catchphrasey, especially the way he ends it with "bay-bee". *cringes a little*

10hqft4.gif

I just watch em and enjoy em for the sci-fi fun they are.

T1 and T2 are nicely complementing bookends for me.

I'm gonna have nightmares of that GIF..

I love both 1 and 2, I don't hate 3 and Salvation that bad, I just try not to think about them in the whole much like the way I do with the Star Wars PT (which I do hate).

It's obvious for me that 1 is the superior film in almost every way but of course it's much easier when you don't have a previous movie to reference and have to relate your new movie to. I do think 2 is better than most and as far as sequels go it hasn't that many flaws really. It respects the first movie all the way, doesn't contradict it for the most part (of course here lies a controversy but in comparison to most every other sequel to almost any movie out there where it's usually sorry pal this is continuity now..) and although it feels different it really works for me. One of my favorite scenes in all of 2 is when the cops go to Pescadero and confronts Sarah with the surveillance photos from the mall and the police shootout from ten years earlier, same guy. :horror

The one thing that I can't quite get around is that Sarah Connor and the T-1000 characters and the T-800 and John Connor characters sometimes feel like they're in different movies even though they share the same scenes. Some Terminator/John Connor scenes become simple comic relief.

I saw 2 in the theater and have the same feeling about it now as I did then. It's bigger, badder but not better, as far as sequels go it's one of the classics, but for every time I have watched 2, I have watched 1 three- or four.

Of course I have watched Commando probably close to 75 times now but the first fifty times occured in a time span of a couple of years. :lol

75 times? Damn. That's hardcore. I think I'm like you in that I don't hate T3 and Salvation. I think they're pretty bad movies, but I just ignore them, as well, whereas I more strongly dislike the Star Wars prequels. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that Lucas tries to rewrite history with Star Wars, while Cameron left on top (maybe more the equivalent of leaving after Jedi than leaving after Empire, but. . .), and hasn't gone back to that well. He lets his movies stand up for what they were, and isn't trying to "improve" them with fancy CG, unnecessary prequels and sequels, etc.

On another note, I changed the thread title, so maybe it will affect whether the weird redirect to the first few posts won't happen. . .though I doubt it will matter. I've also tried to be clearer about the fact that this isn't the T2 battle damaged figure at a glance when folks are browsing through threads.

Back