1/6 Hot Toys-The Terminator (T1)-MMS 238-T-800-(Battle Damaged Version) 1/6 Scale Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Article: Hot Toys-The Terminator-MMS 238-T-800-(Battle Damaged Version) Collectib

It was probably about the, "I'll be back," line that Arnold didn't get.

There are some T2 lines I don't care for such as "Hasta la vista," and "I need a vacation."

Yeah I think it might have been, although in that case his argument actually made sense (I will come back vs I'll be back) but it wouldn't have been very iconic.

Yeah I don't hate hasta la vista as much as I probably should, if he had used it for the grenade launcher shot instead I probably would have cringed but as is I can easily overlook it. Agree with " I need a vacation", there was no reason for him to have said this or even really knew what it meant. Until a script book or something debunked it, I remember it was a trivia piece that the line was ad-libbed by arnie which is something I would have believed.

My T2 love means I can overlook these though (unlike Batman Returns and it's "Eat Floor, High Fibre" line which, despite my love for burton bats, still makes my skin crawl in utter embarrassment)

Re: Article: Hot Toys-The Terminator-MMS 238-T-800-(Battle Damaged Version) Collectib

Arnold and Jim were great together. I hear True Lies is coming out on Blu Ray this year. The DVD I have is terrible because although it is in widescreen, the viewing area is shrunk like it's trying accomodate an old TV screen.

I actually don't mind some T3 one liners like, "I am unable to comply." It's pretty much what you'd expect a machine to reply to the command, "drop dead."

Maybe. But then you get ''RELAX!'' and ''She'll be back''. The latter is spoken literally to the movie-goer, since no other character is in ear-shot. Or how about ''Excuse me'', spoken to the TX! :slap

Thinking of T2, the only one I think was kinda forced was Hasta La Vista baby. While John was nearby, it didn't feel so much like he is saying it for John's ''benefit'' as much as it was for the audience-pleasing moment. The ''I need a vacation'' line I actually think makes more contextual sense - I feel that John would have been expecting him to say something about his condition, the T-800 knows it and so that's what he says. Presumably he learned it off-screen. Have to say I've never understood people's particular annoyance at that line.

Maybe. But then you get ''RELAX!'' and ''She'll be back''. The latter is spoken literally to the movie-goer, since no other character is in ear-shot. Or how about ''Excuse me'', spoken to the TX! :slap

Thinking of T2, the only one I think was kinda forced was Hasta La Vista baby. While John was nearby, it didn't feel so much like he is saying it for John's ''benefit'' as much as it was for the audience-pleasing moment. The ''I need a vacation'' line I actually think makes more contextual sense - if he had to say something in that moment, then something like that would be it and I feel that John would have been expecting him to say something - so that's what he says. Presumably he learned it off-screen.

Talk to da hand.

Thinking of T2, the only one I think was kinda forced was Hasta La Vista baby. While John was nearby, it didn't feel so much like he is saying it for John's ''benefit'' as much as it was for the audience-pleasing moment. The ''I need a vacation'' line I actually think makes more contextual sense - I feel that John would have been expecting him to say something about his condition, the T-800 knows it and so that's what he says. Presumably he learned it off-screen. Have to say I've never understood people's particular annoyance at that line.

Nah, see, I feel the opposite. "I need a vacation" is the only line I hate. It makes absolutely no sense and just seems like an ad-libbed line by Arnold (actually, I believe it was). All throughout the film the Terminator appears serious and stoic, even when he says the lines he's learned. "I need a vacation" though? Huh? I'd have no problem with that being removed.

"Hasta la vista" on the other hand? The context and use is completely appropriate. Not only did John teach him the phrase, it's used in the proper context. "And if you want to shine them on it's 'hasta la vista, baby' towards the T-1000 before it blows it away into a thousand pieces is justifiable.

Nah, see, I feel the opposite. "I need a vacation" is the only line I hate. It makes absolutely no sense and just seems like an ad-libbed line by Arnold (actually, I believe it was). All throughout the film the Terminator appears serious and stoic, even when he says the lines he's learned. "I need a vacation" though? Huh? I'd have no problem with that being removed.

"Hasta la vista" on the other hand? The context and use is completely appropriate. Not only did John teach him the phrase, it's used in the proper context. "And if you want to shine them on it's 'hasta la vista, baby' towards the T-1000 before it blows it away into a thousand pieces is justifiable.

Yeah but they aren't going to show John teaching him every single line he ever uses. Surely it can be safely assumed he picked up that line somewhere along the way without it having to be an on-screen moment. It works just fine. He's ****ed up, he knows John will be looking for a 'damage report' of sorts and without going into detail he realises ''I need a vacation'' will be understood and appreciated by John. Makes perfect sense to me.

With the Hasta La vista thing, unless T-800 asked John offscreen for clarification on what ''shine 'em on'' means (heck I wouldn't have known) I don't see how the T-800 would have realised that that particular moment was the right context to use the line. 'Vacation' is one word, the definition of which the T-800 could easily access, not so much the expression ''shine em on''. I would consider that pretty obscure.

Last edited:

With the Hasta La vista thing, unless T-800 asked John offscreen for clarification on what ''shine 'em on'' means (heck I wouldn't have known)

g05844340.gif

Yeah but they aren't going to show John teaching him every single line he ever uses. Surely it can be safely assumed he picked up that line somewhere along the way without it having to be an on-screen moment. It works just fine. He's ****ed up, he knows John will be looking for a 'damage report' of sorts and without going into detail he realises ''I need a vacation'' will be understood and appreciated by John. Makes perfect sense to me.

The only reason the line was used was because he originally said it in Kindergarten Cop but it was taken out. It's too tongue in cheek in my opinion. Atleast with "Hasta La Vista" we see him learn it. I need a vacation is too dopey. He looks "un-terminatorish" when he says it too.

With the Hasta La vista thing, unless T-800 asked John offscreen for clarification on what ''shine 'em on'' means (heck I wouldn't have known) I don't see how the T-800 would have realised that that particular moment was the right context to use the line. 'Vacation' is one word, the definition of which the T-800 could easily access, not so much the expression ''shine em on''. I would consider that pretty obscure.

Atleast we witnessed John teach it to him. NUFF SAID. The line is right up there with "I'll be back".

au800newst10-07.jpg

I am unconvinced by your argument sir. Now, I don't mind the Hasta La Vista line, I just think it makes slightly less sense for him to say it than it does the vacation line. I'm going against the grain there, I was aware the vacation line wasn't popular (on this forum anyway).

Hah, with Double J's quoting of your post Sidious I just caught your bad boy reference. It has been noted.

I know nothing. :dunno

Yep 'Hasta la Vista' was huge and probably only behind 'Cowabunga' in the word that most of the kids at my school would say on a daily basis at that time (early 90's).

I am unconvinced by your argument sir. Now, I don't mind the Hasta La Vista line, I just think it makes slightly less sense for him to say it than it does the vacation line. I'm going against the grain there, I was aware the vacation line wasn't popular (on this forum anyway).

tumblr_l28a72ov4i1qzwi58o1_500.gif

Hasta la vista - I don't care if I saw John teach it to him. 1. He shouldn't be trying to "shine" the T-1000 "on." 2. It sounds dumb and too catchphrasey, taking me out of the movie.

I need a vacation -Doesn't sound like the Terminator and he's apparently learned not only the phrase and concept of vacationing, but also the wit to use the phrase as a well timed one-liner? At least with "Hasta la vista," we can see that his use of it shows that he still doesn't "get it." So, scratch #1 from the above. Still, #2 stands - it's a "we need a catchphrase and he already did 'I'll be back,'" line.

Ta hell wit both of those lines.

They are fun little crowd pleasers. To me, they both make sense in the context of what Cameron was trying to do, even if you can rationally tear either of them apart.

Hmm, not sure if I like Arnold's "of kuourse" or Bane's "of kaaaaawrse" better. I call it a tie.

Yeah, because Bane sounds like a ****ing bird. :lol

As much as I love T2, I can't enjoy those phrases. My son likes the Hasta la vista line though. I understand that it's geared toward people that don't obsessively watch it over 20+ years.

I enjoy the other lines including the above: "Of course, I'm a Terminator." John being shocked at what he was about to do and the Terminator replying, "Of course," like John just asked him to verify the answer of a basic math problem.

Terminator has the best though. Everything Arnold says in that movie is gold as far as I'm concerned. Direct and with purpose.

Back