1/6 Hot Toys - The Flash (CW) - The Flash

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Which companies have “surpassed” Hot Toys again?
I wish there were more options available as much as the next person, but suggesting that any current mainstream 1/6 figure company has actually “surpassed” Hot Toys is actual nonsense.
Which company is it? Molecule8? :ROFLMAO:
Blitzway came as close as any company has ever come with the Ghostbusters. KA Kim’s prototypes were as good as anything Hot Toys has released. They are among my favorite figures in my collection.
Sadly, anyone who owns these four excellent figures will tell you that as great as they are, they still fell slightly short of Hot Toys in production, particularly due to the paint apps.
Posting the QMX Picard as evidence that a company has surpassed Hot Toys is a tad ridiculous.
A company may surpass Hot Toys someday, I really hope that they do, but it ain’t QMX! :lol

I'm sorry mate - but you're part of the very problem we're talking about.
Hot Toys standards have been slipping for some time, and many of us want to call them out on it - which ultimately would only IMPROVE the company and their product, but then there are certain folk who treat the very concept like its heresy and undermine any effort to do so.
HT are just a company, too many people put companies on pedestals now (there are still people who think that Disney should own every franchise going) but the truth is they have no loyalty except to the bottom line.
As the people who put the money in their pocket, we should have every right to say where their failings are, and a good company would try to keep in touch and respond.
There is no reason for this to be taken so personally - its just good business.

Some folks…you know who you are…have a really strange idea of what being the “reigning king” or “number one” or even the “best” actually means…not sure if it’s a cognitive issue with some or something else, but it’s really very simple.
Thinking that because someone thinks Hot Toys is number one is “worshipping” or “stanning” them is just plain dumb.
English isn’t the first language of everyone here, which is cool, but it definitely shows with some of these posts.
I can acknowledge that Hot Toys is number one without thinking that they are perfect, heck I could think that they’re pretty terrible and still know that they’re number one.
It just means that they are better than everyone else…that’s all…plain and simple.
If you have five cars that all go 5 mph and one more that goes 7mph it’s just factually the FASTEST of the six cars. Doesn’t mean I think it’s fast at 7mph, just means I am smart enough to recognize that in a world where all cars go 5mph, the one that goes 7 is the fastEST.
Is Hot Toys perfect? Nope.
Do they make some bad figures? Yep.
Do they get it right every time? Nope.
Do they get it wrong a LOT? Yep.
Do I think they are an amazing, wonderful, perfect company made up of the world greatest artists? NOPE.
Do I KNOW that they are the best 1/6 scale figure company in the industry right now? YEP!
Am I blind enough to think that my QMX Picard, which I love dearly as a lifelong Star Trek fan, even holds a candle to some of the worst releases from Hot Toys? BIG NOPE!

Best encompasses a lot of characteristics. Fastest just points to one: speed.
You can have your 5mph and 7mph car analogy. One is the fastest but not necessarily the best. One of the 5mph car may have the best features, build, durability, no mechanical issues, etc. and the 7mph may have speed but whole lot of problems. In the end, best is the sum of all the aspects.

You misunderstood the analogy.
The point is not to equate “fastest” to “best.”
You are thinking too literally and missing the nuance.
The speed metaphor is to characterize the difference between objective reality and wistful fantasy.
Hot Toys is factually producing better figures than any other 1/6 scale figure company, and that is as inarguable as the fact that a car that can travel 2mph faster than another one is the faster car.

Some folks…you know who you are…have a really strange idea of what being the “reigning king” or “number one” or even the “best” actually means…not sure if it’s a cognitive issue with some or something else, but it’s really very simple.
Thinking that because someone thinks Hot Toys is number one is “worshipping” or “stanning” them is just plain dumb.
English isn’t the first language of everyone here, which is cool, but it definitely shows with some of these posts.
I can acknowledge that Hot Toys is number one without thinking that they are perfect, heck I could think that they’re pretty terrible and still know that they’re number one.
It just means that they are better than everyone else…that’s all…plain and simple.
If you have five cars that all go 5 mph and one more that goes 7mph it’s just factually the FASTEST of the six cars. Doesn’t mean I think it’s fast at 7mph, just means I am smart enough to recognize that in a world where all cars go 5mph, the one that goes 7 is the fastEST.
Is Hot Toys perfect? Nope.
Do they make some bad figures? Yep.
Do they get it right every time? Nope.
Do they get it wrong a LOT? Yep.
Do I think they are an amazing, wonderful, perfect company made up of the world greatest artists? NOPE.
Do I KNOW that they are the best 1/6 scale figure company in the industry right now? YEP!
Am I blind enough to think that my QMX Picard, which I love dearly as a lifelong Star Trek fan, even holds a candle to some of the worst releases from Hot Toys? BIG NOPE!
I’ve read your post over and over...Not gonna lie, it’s confusing AF.

This is what I get from it:

Denial.
Moving of goal posts.
Lack of critical thinking (I’m not trying to insult you, I just think you’re willfully being ignorant)
Grasping at straws. That example of a cars speed does NOT help your argument. By using your logic of “objective reality”, how about this?

You listed more negatives about HT than you did positives.

Again, according to your logic...that means HT isn’t the best.

See how that works?

In your post, not only were you further proving my point about HT no longer being the industry standard, your passive aggressive insults is another sign of someone going to great lengths to be “right”. Also, what does English being a second language for someone have to do with anything? I’ve gone over the past few pages and As far as I’m aware, every post in this thread has been coherent (except for the post I’m currently replying to). Like...huh? Where did that come from? Just...this gave me a headache.

The vibe I’m getting from you is...you seem to be taking this very personally. Similar to someone clutching the body of a dead loved one and everyone is telling this person “she’s gone.” And that person screams “NO, she’s not!”. Better yet! It’s like the Star Wars games published by EA. Cancelled single player games with serious talent behind them, 2 battlefront games that were objectively bad (yeah the 2nd eventually got good...but the damage was already done), EAs track record...then the ONE good SW game comes out and someone goes “see? EA IS GOOD AFTERALL”.

Look, my man, just because they’re no longer the best doesn’t mean they’re no longer good. They do make great stuff every now and then...but being THE BEST? Nah fam. Abso-effin-lutely not.

Lastly...dude, You listed all of the negatives that I, as a consumer, see as proof of a company no longer being the best.

Despite all of that, you still think they’re the best?? And you’re telling me that you’re not stanning for them??

THATS THE DEFINITION OF A HT STAN.

Let’s just agree to disagree. Clearly there’s nothing I can say or show to help alter your perception. I’ve given many examples to support my argument, and all Im getting from you is the “Kevin bacon wasn’t in footloose” bit from family guy.

If you feel the planet will implode if you so much as entertain the notion of HT not being the industry standard...then I don’t know what to say.

Let’s just move on.

Any chance of Hot Toys doing a recall of this Flash figure? Or maybe even $100 voucher to anyone who bought it. They gotta know they produced a $150 figure. I know Grant Austin/CW didn’t ask for that much for his likeness to warrant $250.

Hot Toys are far from perfect but I have to disagree with the notion that most of their figures suck. The Mandalorian line is consistently knocking it out of the park. All of the Batfleck figures are outstanding. Can't fault any of their Spider-Man offerings, the upgraded suit Holland likeness is one of their best ever.

That doesn't let them off the hook for this figure or the disgraceful Batman Begins reissue of course. Just trying to offer some balance. Constructive criticism is always a good thing and something companies should welcome. Customers shouldn't put up with 2nd rate products like this or that Begins figure. Call them out on it, especially on their social media. Worked with Iron Man figure.

Any chance of Hot Toys doing a recall of this Flash figure? Or maybe even $100 voucher to anyone who bought it. They gotta know they produced a $150 figure. I know Grant Austin/CW didn’t ask for that much for his likeness to warrant $250.

I highly doubt that. I’d appreciate it of course. If they did I’ll feel compelled to buy it.

But they won’t.

Hot Toys are far from perfect but I have to disagree with the notion that most of their figures suck. The Mandalorian line is consistently knocking it out of the park. All of the Batfleck figures are outstanding. Can't fault any of their Spider-Man offerings, the upgraded suit Holland likeness is one of their best ever.

That doesn't let them off the hook for this figure or the disgraceful Batman Begins reissue of course. Just trying to offer some balance. Constructive criticism is always a good thing and something companies should welcome. Customers shouldn't put up with 2nd rate products like this or that Begins figure. Call them out on it, especially on their social media. Worked with Iron Man figure.

To be fair, I’ve never said most of their product sucks. Let me clarify;

IMO, roughly 74% of their catalogue does not suck. They’re not awful figures by any stretch of the imagination. They’re made of good quality with good paint apps and tailoring...but feature mediocre to decent headsculpts. It has JUUUUST enough likeness to the actor that I would buy them. HOWEVER They could be better though!

5% of their catalogue are straight up trash. you see it with the headsculpts, you feel it just by holding it in your hands. Like this flash figure for instance. Other figures like Indiana Jones, RE6 Leon, RE5 sheva and Jill, daredevil and a few more I can’t think of at the moment. And this will ruffle a few feathers, but their luke skywalker belongs in this territory as well. This figure brought out the ‘mourning Vito corleone’ in me “look at how they massacred my boy...”

Then there’s the 1%. These are the in betweens. Between decent and trash fire. The figure is nice, decent portrait, but bogged down by HT greed. Take anakin for example. He’s already a simple figure, but you split him into TWO MUTHAEFFIN releases to get the full anakin experience? And one of them was initially an SDCC exclusive, making people panic buy? Luke falls into this category as well!

Actually I take that back. Both of their luke figures are in its separate tier altogether. Half @$$ed sculpts, split into 2 releases to get the full luke experience. Nah man, HT can go to hell with that garbage.

(Remember, these are my opinions. People love that luke figure. I’m happy they find enjoyment from it...I’ll never understand why, but it is what it is.)

Then we have the 20%. Batfleck, Nicholson joker, DX01, count dooku, dr strange, ragnarok Thor, PS4 Spider-Man, and a few others I can’t name atm...these are the exceptional figures. (I can’t put the mandalorian line here in good faith due to how they handled Dinn. Simple additions and minor adjustments from the get go could’ve gone a long way...but instead they decided he’s gonna be the next iron man, where they’re going to milk him as much as they could by instead of giving us the beskar leg armor and proper paint for the helmet, they saved that for a THIRD release with EVEN MORE ACCESSORIES...YAAAAAY. Also I’m not a fan of moff gideon sculpt).

So how many figures have they produced? And only 20% of that catalogue are exceptional...

That’s...not good.

Hmm I'd have to disagree with that 20%. The majority of figures I've bought I consider exceptional. If Hot Toys are so bad at achieving an actors likeness who is consistently doing it better?

Even Prime 1 are far below HT in that regard. Compare their Suicide Squad statues, both 2016 and 2021, and their Affleck sculpt.

Some of these uber realistic silicone statues and busts by JND are superior but they do cost about three grand more lol.

Which Luke are you talking about? I haven't seen any of them up close sadly but do have the Mandalorian version on pre-order.

Hmm I'd have to disagree with that 20%. The majority of figures I've bought I consider exceptional. If Hot Toys are so bad at achieving an actors likeness who is consistently doing it better?

Even Prime 1 are far below HT in that regard. Compare their Suicide Squad statues, both 2016 and 2021, and their Affleck sculpt.

Some of these uber realistic silicone statues and busts by JND are superior but they do cost about three grand more lol.

Which Luke are you talking about? I haven't seen any of them up close sadly but do have the Mandalorian version on pre-order.

Out of curiosity, which figures do you consider exceptional? Not challenging you or anything, I’m genuinely asking. Because I own MANY HT figures, and within that collection, I consider some exceptional. I’ve already listed them in my previous post.

No one company is consistent in putting out bangers EVERYTIME. My whole entire point is that other companies have released figures that either matched and even surpassed HT catalogue.

Example; QMX’s weakest trek figure is sulu. It’s a decent sculpt with a 70% to 80% likeness to George takei. Maybe it’s the expression that’s throwing it off. It’s not an awful sculpt, but it could’ve been better.

Now take HT moff Gideon. It’s not a bad sculpt, but the likeness to Giancarlo is weak. It’s like...well, 70% there. Not bad, but could’ve been better.

The result? Another company has a figure that’s equal to a HT figure in terms of portraits.

Now take Soosootoys charlie Cox (hero lawyer) figure and compare that to the flash.

I don’t think I need to illustrate it when in plain sight, a 2 year old figure (from a 3rd party) SURPASSED HT most recent figure. In fact I’d go even further and say SST figure has a MUCH stronger likeness to the actor than endgame Steve Rogers/Chris Evans.

That’s what I’ve been trying to convey this entire time. HT are no longer the industry standard when you have figures like hero lawyer, green vigilante, ghostbusters, Star Trek and more out there looking just as good and at times better than HT. And it’s a pet peeve whenever I hear other reviewers say things like “almost HT quality, close to HT quality yada yada”...like...nah man. It’s no longer necessary to compare figures to HT. That habit needs to change.

I’m referring to HT ROTJ luke. I fell into that “NEW FIGURE!” Hype and bought ROTJ luke and have hated it since. I couldn’t bring myself to review it. And there’s nothing sad about not seeing it up close. Trust me, you’re not missing out on anything AT ALL. I too have mando ver on PO. THAT is the luke I know. Likeness isn’t THE best, so that will fall into the category where it’s not exceptional, but it’s good enough for me to want it...just like most of my collection.

I’ve read your post over and over...Not gonna lie, it’s confusing AF.

This is what I get from it:

Denial.
Moving of goal posts.
Lack of critical thinking (I’m not trying to insult you, I just think you’re willfully being ignorant)
Grasping at straws. That example of a cars speed does NOT help your argument. By using your logic of “objective reality”, how about this?

You listed more negatives about HT than you did positives.

Again, according to your logic...that means HT isn’t the best.

See how that works?

In your post, not only were you further proving my point about HT no longer being the industry standard, your passive aggressive insults is another sign of someone going to great lengths to be “right”. Also, what does English being a second language for someone have to do with anything? I’ve gone over the past few pages and As far as I’m aware, every post in this thread has been coherent (except for the post I’m currently replying to). Like...huh? Where did that come from? Just...this gave me a headache.

The vibe I’m getting from you is...you seem to be taking this very personally. Similar to someone clutching the body of a dead loved one and everyone is telling this person “she’s gone.” And that person screams “NO, she’s not!”. Better yet! It’s like the Star Wars games published by EA. Cancelled single player games with serious talent behind them, 2 battlefront games that were objectively bad (yeah the 2nd eventually got good...but the damage was already done), EAs track record...then the ONE good SW game comes out and someone goes “see? EA IS GOOD AFTERALL”.

Look, my man, just because they’re no longer the best doesn’t mean they’re no longer good. They do make great stuff every now and then...but being THE BEST? Nah fam. Abso-effin-lutely not.

Lastly...dude, You listed all of the negatives that I, as a consumer, see as proof of a company no longer being the best.

Despite all of that, you still think they’re the best?? And you’re telling me that you’re not stanning for them??

THATS THE DEFINITION OF A HT STAN.

Let’s just agree to disagree. Clearly there’s nothing I can say or show to help alter your perception. I’ve given many examples to support my argument, and all Im getting from you is the “Kevin bacon wasn’t in footloose” bit from family guy.

If you feel the planet will implode if you so much as entertain the notion of HT not being the industry standard...then I don’t know what to say.

Let’s just move on.

I hate to be mean or rude but you cannot possibly be as unintelligent as your apparent understanding of my post suggests that you are.
You just can’t be. I won’t accept it.
Let me make this a bit simpler for you.
The truth is, you and I do not have a disagreement about action figure makers, we just disagree about the English language.
The word “best” only indicates to anyone with any linguistic comprehension, that something is superior to the available alternatives.
It doesn’t even imply that something is good.
Since you’re a bit too literal minded for the car speed metaphor let me try something that you may find to be more relatable.
20 kids in a math class.
It’s the end of the school year and they all get their final grades.
19 kids get the grade of F.
Little Brooklyn Wolf X gets a D -
Guess what that makes him…? The BEST student in math class!
Now, is he even a GOOD student? I think not, not with a D-…but guess what…he’s still the BEST student in the math class.
Is it starting to make a little sense to you now?

Instead of engaging in these trading of insults and squabbling over the rhetoric of our individual arguments - maybe we should look at those areas we agree.
Ultimately it doesn't matter if you consider Hot Toys the best (of a bad bunch or not) 1/6 scale company or not, surely the important point here is that we ALL agree that they need to shape up, improve, stop overcharging for either subpar or lazy releases and hold them accountable.
This focus on each other is the precise lack of a united front I'm talking about - the same lack of unity that allows Hot Toys to wallow in its worst possible business practices which is driving the company, the product and indeed the entire market downhill (whether you agree or not that they have been "dethroned" yet is ultimately incidental, at the current trajectory it is inevitable).

Absolutely agree with you - the suit has been done a huge disservice by Hot Toys, it looks just hideous on the figure and even just the bare minimum effort would have been a huge improvement on what we've got.
the lack of a split-boot design just goes to show how little thought has been put into this release.
The headsculpt looks like it was made 10+ years ago, the resemblance to Gustin is ephemeral at best and is shown in its worst light by Hot Toys' official photos.
What a really disappointing release.
Lack of split cut on the boots means lack of effort? That makes no sense. The boots on this figure clearly doesn't allow for the split cut design without a ugly seam.

Lack of split cut on the boots means lack of effort? That makes no sense. The boots on this figure clearly doesn't allow for the split cut design without a ugly seam.
For a speedster character not to have a split boot design IS a lack of thought, a split boot is the only way to really have the range of movement in the foot to convincingly position the figure in different running poses - which is essential for the character. To lack this feature means that Hot Toys never took the time to really picture what collectors would want from this figure.
Hot Toys have made numerous split cut boots for characters with the seam hidden quite well - just look at the Thor Figures. There seems to be a logical spot for it just underneath the golden "laces" patch.
Also its hardly like Hot Toys have prioritized screen accuracy with the godawful colour mismatch on the suit.

For a speedster character not to have a split boot design IS a lack of thought, a split boot is the only way to really have the range of movement in the foot to convincingly position the figure in different running poses - which is essential for the character. To lack this feature means that Hot Toys never took the time to really picture what collectors would want from this figure.
Hot Toys have made numerous split cut boots for characters with the seam hidden quite well - just look at the Thor Figures. There seems to be a logical spot for it just underneath the golden "laces" patch.
Also its hardly like Hot Toys have prioritized screen accuracy with the godawful colour mismatch on the suit.

Can someone please tell me I’m missing out on some inside joke here? Are people really saying this figure proves HTs isn’t, on average, making the best 1:6 stuff out there?

Attachments

• 36A54DCC-817E-4CE5-B169-E2A43770B419.jpeg
    36A54DCC-817E-4CE5-B169-E2A43770B419.jpeg
    84.1 KB · Views: 52
Can someone please tell me I’m missing out on some inside joke here? Are people really saying this figure proves HTs isn’t, on average, making the best 1:6 stuff out there?

No you’re right. But they mess up here and there, every now and then.

BEC837D8-BBFB-40AE-BFD4-033BEC758D4E.jpeg

I wasn’t aware captain pinhead was the pinnacle of 1/6 action figures. I like the added touch of caps eyes welling up from watching a good friend die.

And It’s awesome that Chris Evans stunt double got a figure too...it’s nice of HT.

2FA5923B-5F1E-4AF4-9439-96616DE22DE1.jpeg

OT, we may not have agreed on issues...but I expected better from you.

You deliberately chose an unflattering picture of Picard...why? In some misguided attempt to...protect HT “spotless” record?

One of the worst things anyone can do is take a photo of an unfutzed, poorly posed and poorly lit figure to present as any kind of evidence to essentially say “see? This is crap”.

Let me ask you OT...you’re telling me this:

CA6E0C7B-A7CA-4E3B-AF07-6F9AF4B634A5.png

Is better than this?

EF297A06-8A6E-4804-9BFA-72CAB8F6EDEE.png

I’m not going to repeat myself any more. It’s bad enough I’ve posted walls of texts. But if you do go back and read them, maybe you’ll get a clearer picture of what I was trying to say.

Back