Hot Toys rubber deterioration

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this toyheaven collector seems to have soem natural bias against Modicum like the Super Size Me actors has against McDonalds

Apart from the oft-talked about issues of scale compatibility with other 1/6 figures, exorbitant MSRPs and fragile, brittle bodies, the blog's author has no particular bias against Medicom. He loves their Kamen Riders series for example. The ones that haven't rotted that is :)

oh boys. I just picked up HT Jill Battle suit and noticed the body is very rubberized. I guess since it's so hard to pose, I'll leave it in a neutral position majority of the time. :(

this toyheaven collector seems to have soem natural bias against Modicum like the Super Size Me actors has against McDonalds

Well, people should be. Didn't you read the article ? He states what everyone of us Medicom haters dislik: Out of scale, deteriorating bodies, bad and cheap materials, sub par paint jobs, simple sculpts, super high inflated prices and so on and so forth.

And McDonalds suck also, cheap food. haha.

:peace:peace:peace

Well, I was seeing this topic and I decided to open the boxes where some of my collectibles are. I don't have room enogh to them and I want to keep them away from dust. When I openned the first box, I realized that there were white spots of mold on the coat of my DX Joker. I cleaned and everything returned to normal. As the major problem in places of high humidity (I live in a beach town) is with the rubber, I was quickly to see the Batman DX. No problem. Not even mold spots! But when I opened the box of the Kaneda's bike, I was scary: the rubber seat had some weird spots, look:

DSC02594.jpg

DSC02601.jpg

DSC02600.jpg

DSC02599.jpg

DSC02598.jpg

DSC02602.jpg

DSC02607.jpg

DSC02603.jpg

DSC02606.jpg

I never put the Kaneda sitting on the bike, So I think the problem comes from humidity and the close contact with the Styrofoam (I also noticed that the pictures take up less moisture without the cardboar box).
To make matters worse, the rear tire was "swollen". But it is not like an air bubble. It is solid and hard, as if someone had stuck an extra piece of rubber on it. Even the color and shape of the salience are beyond the design of the tire! I had never saw it untill today, but it was the first thing I noticed when I opened the box tonight. At this moment I can't say if it was already there or not. Could it be the humidity?

DSC02592.jpg

Now I do not know what to do. I have a friend who is a upholsterer and he can make one just like it, and real leather. But the tire, just spinning and hiding the defective part. However it devalues ​​the piece a lot! Does Bandai trade only tire?

I still can't get over the Mars Attacks figures. Even in a relaxed pose the the soft rubber arms and legs are crumbling.
I bought extras, but I am afraid to look in the boxes!

the only peeps I have sympathy for are the stores and dealers that have stock and the figure is putriding away in storage waiting to be sold, then someone buys it and no one knows until its opened. store/shop loses money and reputation goes down drain. as of today effective I official quite hot toys figures even if they make Rambo four

as of today effective I official quite hot toys figures even if they make Rambo four

quit?

Why quit just HT? Medi, SS, Dragon, and everyone else use an array of plastics, vinyl, rubber, and other material with questionable shelf life.

Enjoy them while they last and understand you aren't buying a pyramid in Egypt. These items won't be here in 3000 years. There are no guarantees.

quit?

Why quit just HT? Medi, SS, Dragon, and everyone else use an array of plastics, vinyl, rubber, and other material with questionable shelf life.

Enjoy them while they last and understand you aren't buying a pyramid in Egypt. These items won't be here in 3000 years. There are no guarantees.

Im sorry but were not talking about 3000 years,Were talking 6-10 months in the case of the DX Batman, and 2 years on the case of The Comedian. These are EXPENSIVE collectibles were purchasing from HT NOT oranges with a limited shelf life.
Sure were not expecting these to last as long as the pyramids, but come on, paying $150 to $200 for Sh-- that falls apart in a few months? Whats most upsetting is that HT KNOWS that theres an obvious issue with their products, yet the havent invested the money and time to fix it. Why? Because peeps still keep buying their products regardless of these issues and many still wave the HT banner and invest additional $ in these figs to fix them, or replace parts.
HT will continue to make these products unless we stop buying. I say stop buying until the listen.
Rant over. "ecrasez l' infame!!"

Yeah I guess that's what get's me a bit pissed is posts where people make outrageous statements about length of time when the underlying issue is we aren't buying products that should be defective out of the box, within months or even a few years. Not at over $200 a pop. What else do you spend $200 around your house, besides groceries, that falls apart in such a short time.

Yeah I guess that's what get's me a bit pissed is posts where people make outrageous statements about length of time when the underlying issue is we aren't buying products that should be defective out of the box, within months or even a few years. Not at over $200 a pop. What else do you spend $200 around your house, besides groceries, that falls apart in such a short time.

:goodpost::exactly:

Hot Toys Rubber Deterioration

Posted earlier a couple of pages back about my melting Comedian figure. Gave it some thought and I think I'm finally done with this 12" insanity. Figure I'll get out while the getting is good so all of my boxed and unboxed Hot Toys figure will be going up on E-Bay over the next few weeks.

Have fun gents!

:exactly: The frustrating thing is that it is hit or miss. My TDK batman and OC batman are fine. My DX-02 is fine. My Iron Man Mk III BD is fading. My original MK III is as good as the day I received it. My Comedian is a melting mess. I guess I am going to have to stick with non-rubber, and no painted rubber.

:exactly: The frustrating thing is that it is hit or miss. My TDK batman and OC batman are fine. My DX-02 is fine. My Iron Man Mk III BD is fading. My original MK III is as good as the day I received it. My Comedian is a melting mess. I guess I am going to have to stick with non-rubber, and no painted rubber.

:exactly: :exactly:

Back