Hot Toys rubber deterioration

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was just looking through my boxed figures & I found my 1st figure with rubber Rot on the back of my Comedian on his rubber vest, it really sucks because I've never even displayed him :gah:

Just checked my Sarah Connor and she's fine.

I am always afraid something might happen to Leonidas, I check on him every now and then, I'm getting all stressed haha.
I've had my Leonidas posed with his Right arm bent at a better than 90 degree angle for at least 3 months, probably closer to 6. No problem as of yet.

So what you guys are basically saying is, don't have sex with Hot Toys or you'll get pregnant? :p

The only rubber HTs I own are Alien Big Chap and Deunan Knute.
Because of lack of space, I keep them for some time now in their boxes. So far no problems, though I've taken some precautionary measures and placed nylon wrap in the boxes so that the rubber doesn't come in contact with the plastic tray, as it is a possible source of chemical reaction between the two.
BTW a couple of questions:
Has anyone of you that own Deunan Knute had any problems with her costume?
Also the Big Chap mouth tendons look very fragile and prone to snap and I'm terrified every time I try to open his mouth.
Are there any breakages reported of it yet?
Is it an easy fix?
Thanx in advance! :)

Well CRAP! My Hot Toys Comedian can be added to the long list of leaking figures. Way to go Hot Toys!!!! :gah:

I think it is a safe bet that most of the Comedian figures are going to do this to some degree. Mine has as well. Mine didn't start doing this until recently and I bought it when it first came out. Just goes to show you that even if you buy a rubber figure today from Hot Toys, it might have QC issues a year or two down the road. Hot toys then says the figure is to old to really address the issue. I am concerned about any future rubber figures I might buy.

Here's hoping the Green Lantern figure is not a rubber suit. I'm really looking forward to that figure, but it will be an easy pass if it's rubber. Hopefully HT will try to make it light-up and that will discourage them from using rubber.

I honestly don't really get why there's such a buzz around all this. I mean, everything ages, no? Wood get scratched and rots, metal rusts, rubber cracks, ... There's nothing we can do about aging. If we could, we'd all be in our 20s. These things happen. You can only live with it. The only thing that doesn't age is a human's spirit, and until we can make toys out of souls, we'll have to man up and admit things rot with age.

the complaint really stems from the fact that most of these figures dig at our childhood pscyh so we feel YOUNG again when we buy these retro junk items. to see them age old and quickly and crack is like sticking roots of grey hair on our scalps and makes us feel old and realize our mortality. those old enough to experience impotence know what I mean. its not very hard to grasp you know

I honestly don't really get why there's such a buzz around all this. I mean, everything ages, no? Wood get scratched and rots, metal rusts, rubber cracks, ... There's nothing we can do about aging. If we could, we'd all be in our 20s. These things happen. You can only live with it. The only thing that doesn't age is a human's spirit, and until we can make toys out of souls, we'll have to man up and admit things rot with age.

You are correct to a degree. Most of us don't like it though when we spend money on a figure that is already degrading and leaking only after two years. I bought my Comedian retail less than two years ago and it is leaking and degrading badly. This is poor quality. My car tires last longer than that, despite being in Florida and rough driving.

You are correct to a degree. Most of us don't like it though when we spend money on a figure that is already degrading and leaking only after two years. I bought my Comedian retail less than two years ago and it is leaking and degrading badly. This is poor quality. My car tires last longer than that, despite being in Florida and rough driving.
:exactly: After 15 or 20 years, of course things should age and fade, but not after only 2 years of owning the darn thing!

Back