Hot Toys rubber deterioration

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guys, I dunno if this has been discussed before, but is there any way to remove stains from hot toys rubber body?

And has anyone ever tried to apply silicone spray to the rubber body to add more layer to make it more durable? I am thinking to do it to my Hot Toys Hellboy, but afraid of damaging it..

Guys, I dunno if this has been discussed before, but is there any way to remove stains from hot toys rubber body?

And has anyone ever tried to apply silicone spray to the rubber body to add more layer to make it more durable? I am thinking to do it to my Hot Toys Hellboy, but afraid of damaging it..

I want to know this too.
I want to wash thw stain using soap, but don't know if it's wise to do that:lol

^ Ok, so don't wash it. But how bout the silicone spray, will it make the rubber more durable?

I have a trick that has kept all my rubber bodies perfect for years, just like they were brand new.

Alot of collectors don't like them but if you manage to do something twice a year, it will go a LONG way to protect them.

Yes, strip it and wash it, do whatever you want to get rid of the stain.
The most important thing is to rehydrate it so... you put scentless hand cream on it, smear it around until you can feel it start to obsorb it... after that, just leave it for 10 minutues. The rubber actually will be moisturized and ready again for clothing.... you will see no evidence of anything you did. You can even oil it a bit after with a bit of cooking oil (only for hellboy and fabio if you have a HT fabio)

The only warning I have or don't do is, after this process, wait a bit before folding the elbow joint so much that the bicep touches the forearm, it will stick, and if you leave it for months and months, it may bond or discolour.... so wait a few weeks before you pose it with skin on skin... (whether you use hand cream or not, long term skin touching is bad anyways)

Ok that is a secret for sure... might have posted it before but I hope you all appreciate it.

I have a trick that has kept all my rubber bodies perfect for years, just like they were brand new.

Alot of collectors don't like them but if you manage to do something twice a year, it will go a LONG way to protect them.

The most important thing is to rehydrate it so... you put scentless hand cream on it, smear it around until you can feel it start to obsorb it... after that, just leave it for 10 minutues. The rubber actually will be moisturized and ready again for clothing.... you will see no evidence of anything you did. You can even oil it a bit after with a bit of cooking oil (only for hellboy and fabio if you have a HT fabio)

The only warning I have or don't do is, after this process, wait a bit before folding the elbow joint so much that the bicep touches the forearm, it will stick, and if you leave it for months and months, it may bond or discolour.... so wait a few weeks before you pose it with skin on skin... (whether you use hand cream or not, long term skin touching is bad anyways)

Ok that is a secret for sure... might have posted it before but I hope you all appreciate it.

led lighting is important as well no uv and almost zero heat emission

Ah I see. Thanks for sharing! :)

I actually used one of them bleach pens and it actually. Afterwards I used lotion.

Very interesting! Did anyone else try this? The idea is that I would like to find a way to protect my HT and Takara Appleseed figures for the years to come, they have no problems now, but who knows...

Since it seems that the TDK suit will show up in TDKR for the majority of the film, I doubt Hot Toys will pass up the chance to do the figure again. Hopefully this time they do it right

THIS.
If HT wants my money, there will be little to no rubber in the figure. :lecture
I have sold off pretty much all of my figures that have major rubber parts. Won't buy the rubbery ones any more.
My biggest concern is that HT just doesn't seem to give a ____. They aren't trying to find better materials and solutions, they seem to just be hoping enough of you won't complain or stop buying, so they can keep their profit margin higher. Rubber rubber rubber. So much rubber.
Ordered Nicholson Joker, won't get near Keaton Batman.
It's a shame, because HT does such beautiful work.
I just can't sink big money into something knowing that it may go to pot in a few years. Too much money for too much entropy.
Moved most of my buying over to another company whose products I am happier with, and I worry less about their structural integrity.
I for one am not going to just take it and keep paying their skyrocketing prices, as well.
You guys that can overlook it, have fun with the self-breaking figures...
I guess in a few years, a mint Batman will be worth HUGE bucks, because no one will have one.

Last edited:
^ Ok, so don't wash it. But how bout the silicone spray, will it make the rubber more durable?

Im sorry but were not talking about 3000 years,Were talking 6-10 months in the case of the DX Batman, and 2 years on the case of The Comedian. These are EXPENSIVE collectibles were purchasing from HT NOT oranges with a limited shelf life.
Sure were not expecting these to last as long as the pyramids, but come on, paying $150 to $200 for Sh-- that falls apart in a few months? Whats most upsetting is that HT KNOWS that theres an obvious issue with their products, yet the havent invested the money and time to fix it. Why? Because peeps still keep buying their products regardless of these issues and many still wave the HT banner and invest additional $ in these figs to fix them, or replace parts.
HT will continue to make these products unless we stop buying. I say stop buying until the listen.
Rant over. "ecrasez l' infame!!"
I admit past hot toys products do deteriate over time,but I do think they are trying to fix it.let's see the older ones [superman 2 in 1,hellboy ,abe sapian,even br joker]ther knees used to break.all of mine that I named look like joe theisman after lt hit him.but hot toys has fixed that with a better knee joint.also the wrist pegs on older figure would break,ht has made new ones and they add a spare set in all there figures now.the bruce wayne ankle problems,now they add xtra ankle joints with figures.and last the rubber,take a look at the original rambo figure ,then look at dutch,then at the t800.you can see they are trying to make a better product.they are doing things thbat have never been done before so there are going to be mistakes along the way.they can't test batmans armor out for a year to see if it holds up then realease it.they have to be realeased when the movie is still fairly new.they could make all plastic figures that look like crap but last forever but who wants that?I would like to see replacemeant parts made and sold in an accesory pack.take the comedien,maybe a blow tourch,a cigar,a new headsculpt and replacement armor made of something different.I would buy that.I think a lot of people wouldn't mind paying for reaplacemeant stuff if you also got other stuff to.maybe if your figure does have problems you get 10% off accesory pack.that would also work for every figure,not just broken ones.a t1 battle damaged head with grey shirt,leather jacket and a couple of guns.I would spend 100 bucks on that,not to mention if a figure didn't sell great maybe by offering something new people who got the original would buy a second to make 2 figures.

So '89 Batman has rubber parts? Was this confirmed? I asked this awhile back and no one seemed to know so I didn't order it.

BB

There's no way in the world his whole bodysuit *isn't* rubber. You can just tell from looking at it. In the case of Keaton, they pretty much had no choice, the real suit appears to be rubber. I'd love to be pleasantly surprised and find out that HT found a new and better substance to use, but that's not going to happen.

I think DX 02 got of lightly compared to the horror that is The Comedian. Multiple occasions I've really wanted to pick this up but the deterioration just destroys my spark of excitement.

Such an 'effin shame to. The DC Direct version is absolute crap

I think DX 02 got of lightly compared to the horror that is The Comedian. Multiple occasions I've really wanted to pick this up but the deterioration just destroys my spark of excitement.

Such an 'effin shame to. The DC Direct version is absolute crap

I'm just so glad I sold my Comedian well before this mess started happening. I guess I dodged a "rubber bullet"... :lol

What can I apply to my HT Hellboy, his chest looks a bit orange/red and a little bit dry?

geez ! this thread scares the sh$t out of me . these are not cheap or are they ? there is still action figures out there from the 70's that are still in great shape . even rubber ones like Big Jim , The Millon Dollar man had some rubber on him . Sh$t ! The Stretch Arm Strong Line Can still be found in great shape. maybe HT likes it this way hence their reissues. nothing like selling the same thing over and over again to the same customer. ask your local drug dealer.

Last edited:
Back