Hot Toys ROTJ Emperor Palpatine

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been contemplating removing the stitching on the back of the hood as well; it just seems like more of a hindrance than a help. Since removal, are you happy with the result or would you, in hindsight, have left it stitched?

Yeah I definitely like mine better with the back stitch removed. It freed the hood up quite a bit.

Hmm - not sure about the unevenness. Mine was all ripple-y on the front and I returned it. I understood it was a one-off manufacturing error, but maybe it's wider spread than I thought.

I'd say by the look It's an injection moulded part. No doubt the wall thickness on the arm might have been a bit too thin and there is some localised warping due to shrinkage. Normally for high volume production parts they would take some metal off the mould and thicken that area slightly or fiddle with temps, or water content in the plastic mix. But for a relatively low run of a couple of thousand parts they probably didn't want to go to the added expense of rework.

It certainly wouldn't be a one off, but could vary from throne to throne a bit.

Just a guess based on industrial experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^the stitch is in back?

Yep, stitch is under the hood. Makes it look so much better. The swoops of the front of the hood should fall well under the clasp like in the movie stills. Those who have posted pics, shows they’re almost on the same level. Doesn’t look good honestly. Stitch is easiest way to make this awesome figure even better.

Not normal. Hey there’s one at toy anxiety for 8 bucks. I would pick it up if the one you have doesn’t jive with you. ;)
Thanks man. I contacted Sideshow..but who knows with that. Yeah, just better to fork over a bit more money and get one off of Toy Anxiety.

Finally got my Deluxe yesterday... and I think I'm pretty happy with it for the most part. Obviously the most glaring issue is that the figure is just far too short (which only makes the hands seem even more oversized). And the hood on mine also awfully tight out of the box, so I had to remove all the stitches in order make it sit properly. And while the eyes are a pretty dull yellow, the rest of the paint job is much nicer and more subtle than I expected.

Thankfully my Throne doesn't have any major warping on the arms, but I did notice that the overall surface is strangely uneven and has the look of something sculpted from clay (instead of being 3D printed or built from styrene like you'd expect). Which I'm not sure was really the best choice for this. I haven't tried sitting him in it yet, but with his height I can definitely see how it might be a challenge.

View attachment 439969

View attachment 439970

View attachment 439971

And here he is squeezed onto my ESB/ROTJ shelf.

View attachment 439972

Looks really nice! That's odd that the hood was tight on yours. The stitches on mine didn't militate against me shaping it pretty much how I wanted.

Any chance someone can get a photo of the stitch to snip out?

I don’t have the figure yet, but I saw a post here with pics of the stitching a few weeks ago. If no one shares another photo, you can search back several pages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mines packed up for now but if you pull the hood up over as much as you can, you’ll see the bottom stitch attached to the back portion of the robe. It’s a small stitch and easy fix. Can’t miss it.

Hmm - not sure about the unevenness. Mine was all ripple-y on the front and I returned it. I understood it was a one-off manufacturing error, but maybe it's wider spread than I thought.

Mine is as well...

Sent from the inside of a giant slug in outer space.....

His feet are barely off the ground, close enough to not trigger the OCD thankfully. A7E7616A-F10D-489F-A8D1-4A4267CC3AA9.jpg

I don't have any "before" pics, but here he is after stitches removed. I removed the two on the sides and the one in the back. You can't miss them.

Take a hobby knife and cut the stitches loose. Once each stich is cut, remove it. Just be careful when pulling the stich out, you don't want to damage the hood.

It makes a world of difference.

20181130_161908.jpg

It's weird -- I had 5 stitches in mine: 2 at front on each side, 2 more on each side at the shoulders, and 1 at the very back (which I left intact for fear of getting a 'wizard hat' shape).

It's weird -- I had 5 stitches in mine: 2 at front on each side, 2 more on each side at the shoulders, and 1 at the very back (which I left intact for fear of getting a 'wizard hat' shape).

Mine also. Two on EACH side, one on the back. I should have made that clear.

So are you doing the back one?

I haven't done any yet because I had the same concern about what clipping the back one might unleash.

Back