Hot Toys ROTJ Emperor Palpatine

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could probably get the desired look without having to remove the stich on the back.

I'm confused. So if you removed two on each side and the one on the back, you removed all the stitches?

And BTW, yours looks just great.

If you remove all the stitches then you've removed all the stitches but there are 2 stitches on the sides and 2 more on both sides so you need to remove those before you can remove all the stitches.

Just remember, once you do it, you can't go back.

I don't have any "before" pics, but here he is after stitches removed. I removed the two on the sides and the one in the back. You can't miss them.

Take a hobby knife and cut the stitches loose. Once each stich is cut, remove it. Just be careful when pulling the stich out, you don't want to damage the hood.

It makes a world of difference.

View attachment 440083

That looks really good.

To be frank, I really can’t fathom all this thread cutting in order to get this guy’s hood looking good. Perhaps some just fit differently than others for whatever reason? I did not cut any threads on mine, and the hood looks pretty much identical to yours.

TFA Kylo Ren for me was in more desperate need of a hood thread snipping than this guy.

You can't say that and then NOT show us.

Well perhaps not exactly identical as I recall, as he does have a bit of a point in the back (though it’s more prominent because of the slight downward angle), but I didn’t have any issues getting it to drape close to the sides of his head, pulling it over his head as far as he seems to have had it in the film, and folding/draping the corners of it against the front shoulder area how he appeared to have it in the film as well:

2BB2EEB2-75F9-440C-AD41-945EFC70BFDA.jpg

I had mine like yours but the "roll" at the shoulders (for lack of a better word) because of the stitch bugged me, so I snipped to get that flat look. That stitch serves no purpose and just gets in the way IMHO.

Yeah I see what you’re referring to, I never noticed that before. It doesn’t really bother me at the moment, so I’m satisfied with the way it looks at this time. If it starts bugging me, then I’ll probably go ahead and give the stitches a snip. To me, it always seems like in many pics what the side stitches prevent is being able to get the sharp creases in the corners to where it drapes relatively flat against the front of his shoulders; most of them seem to have a wide arc that makes the hood almost look like a perfect triangle.

3DF9A55D-CA8A-44C8-BED7-165A8331DD48.jpeg

Well, just know you'll lose nothing by snipping. But you may gain more poseability.

That said, yours looks fine so I wouldn't bother. Probably because he's standing and the full weight of the robe is being pulled down. When he's seated, those rolls cause more problems and its hard to get at them to futz them in place.

Thanks. And yeah that’s a good point, that depending on the pose and the manner in which the entire robe drapes, it may either aid or hinder the ability to properly futz the hood to get it looking decent. In addition to standing, I do have him slightly hunched a bit as well.

Thanks asgardianboy, got him a week ago & he hasn't moved much. The throne is very impressive & well worth it IMO

Back