Hot Toys ROTJ Emperor Palpatine

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
26ca80cd1ea4309cbd4172d880faa7c7.jpg

ad8ede9b5f682a9791c08ae9e7d71c5b.jpg
57edd22adebe52f4a76cb4a9f7ae4b9d.jpg

Just got him today.
Not bad. I’m happy with him for sure.

I do wish this one had another neutral head sculpt. I’ll definitely be posting more pics soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks good. Yeah, he's got that "did you hear the one about the ...." look to him. Real excited to tell you a story you've probably been told three times before by him.

Great pictures, discussion everyone.

Palpatine is a tough figure to photograph. It definitely looks better in person.

As mentioned earlier lighting is the key. Different lighting...

View attachment 434516

View attachment 434517

Has anyone removed the stitching from hood/sleeves? Curious if would improve anything. I think I'm going to water treat the robes.

These pics are some of the closest I've seen to actually having the fig in hand - showing both positives and negatives. The different lighting shows what's possible.

I think the term "it looks better in-hand" was invented for this figure. It looks perhaps 30% better in-hand than any pic I've seen of it. I even had the weird situation where I look at the fig and say "that looks pretty cool" so I take a pic and it really looks different on the screen vs what I'm seeing. It's really quite stark.

Posed right, it can be made into a pretty impressive figure though. Just don't expect to easily share it with anyone via pics.:lol

HT's wonder-electronics at work again!

My lumpy throne with depressions (that you can actually feel) where the heat of the soldering distorted the plastic goes back today. Hopefully second time's the charm.

Looks good. Yeah, he's got that "did you hear the one about the ...." look to him. Real excited to tell you a story you've probably been told three times before by him.

:lol It does.

It was an unfortunate choice of expression, but it does work with certain poses, you just have to find them.

As has been said many, many times - why this figure didn't have an alternate sculpt I have no idea. Having the option of a "brooding" serious sculpt would have really hit this figure out of the park, even with the other issues.

These pics are some of the closest I've seen to actually having the fig in hand - showing both positives and negatives. The different lighting shows what's possible.

I think the term "it looks better in-hand" was invented for this figure. It looks perhaps 30% better in-hand than any pic I've seen of it. I even had the weird situation where I look at the fig and say "that looks pretty cool" so I take a pic and it really looks different on the screen vs what I'm seeing. It's really quite stark.

Posed right, it can be made into a pretty impressive figure though. Just don't expect to easily share it with anyone via pics.:lol

My lumpy throne with depressions (that you can actually feel) where the heat of the soldering distorted the plastic goes back today. Hopefully second time's the charm.

I had the figure for a bit on a deal from eBay. I think I was able to take one truly good pic out of 50. Usually the odds are much higher than that -- comes down to the smile and the outfit mostly.

Seems like it would make the chair dusty looking or flat colored at best.

It actually adds a shine to it as the graphite particles picks up light. With the blasters, I add the powder with a brush. Most of it gets brushed away then I use a sealer. I’ll post some pics later. I think I have some before and after shots.:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Got mine today. It's funny, I wasn't blown away upon unboxing (especially compared to Dark Side Ani, which is now one of my absolute favorites) but now just checking it out again on my shelf it looks really, really great, lol. So glad I got into this line.

Got mine today. It's funny, I wasn't blown away upon unboxing (especially compared to Dark Side Ani, which is now one of my absolute favorites) but now just checking it out again on my shelf it looks really, really great, lol. So glad I got into this line.

Do NOT post a pic.:lol

I continue to be more impressed by the pics of this figure standing, then the pics of him seated.

Perhaps, in a way, the leering sculpt looks better when the figure is standing; as if Palps is about to unleash some nasty lightning on a fool.

Grinning from the seated position is more... I dunno, pervy.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Agreed... except for how short he often appears next to other figures. The one upside to putting him in the chair might be that his height isn't quite as apparent...

When I get my replacement throne I'm thinking I'll mask the purple cushions, the front of the "roof" part (with the silver greeblies) and the light consoles and spray it with Tamiya gunmetal. I have a fair amount left over from a Vader custom. It might be an hour or so to get everything masked, but the rest is super simple.

Having the Sideshow (which is noticeably lighter and more metallic) and HT thrones side by side really makes me think it will look cool.

If there was an easy way to swap the bases I probably would too, as the Sideshow one is much more accurate than the HT, but knowing Sideshow the base is probably all polystone and will explode if I touch it. And besides - with him on the throne or standing in front of it, you really can't see much of the base anyway.

Do NOT post a pic.:lol

Reverse psychology never works on me ...

xO8ROOyl.jpg

And the rest (along with some old school wrestling figures), still missing like 7 or so for what I'd consider a full OT collection ... not too bad for being like nine months into collecting Hot Toys!

sW4Osj8l.jpg

9T2fZe3l.jpg

kU9JjQOl.jpg

Agreed... except for how short he often appears next to other figures. The one upside to putting him in the chair might be that his height isn't quite as apparent...

The HT bodies do have that thing where you can pull the arm and leg joints out a bit and they still stay in place. Maybe I'll try that, but some bodies don't seem to hold the "half attached" limb as strongly as others.

Because the figure lends itself to being a bit hunched it makes the shortness more noticeable. He's almost 1/4" too short as far as I can tell.

Reverse psychology never works on me ...

xO8ROOyl.jpg

And the rest (along with some old school wrestling figures), still missing like 7 or so for what I'd consider a full OT collection ... not too bad for being like nine months into collecting Hot Toys!

sW4Osj8l.jpg

9T2fZe3l.jpg

kU9JjQOl.jpg

You took the bait and paid the price. His witchy powers render any pic of him unimpressive.:lol

And nine months? Oh boy, do you have some years ahead of you.:lecture

And I like the SW chorus line with Yoda, Luke and Leia.:lol

And nine months? Oh boy, do you have some years ahead of you.:lecture

And I like the SW chorus line with Yoda, Luke and Leia.:lol

He really does look great. Lighting from my iPhone is a little off on that first pic but he fits really well with the others. I had been planning on displaying with the purple lightning but I threw the cane on and it looks pretty perfect with it.

And while I do wish I started much earlier, I actually feel like I got in at a pretty good time. Aside from eventually having to pay a ton for Han and Obi-Wan (dreading those purchases), I know I've got C-3PO, R2-D2 and those new Stormtroopers (pleasant surprise for me) coming up in the future. Add a Snowtrooper and a Sandtrooper and I'm all set with OT there, plus I've got preorders in for all the PT characters from the start. So it'll all work out. :lol

Great pictures, discussion everyone.

Palpatine is a tough figure to photograph. It definitely looks better in person.

As mentioned earlier lighting is the key. Different lighting...

View attachment 434516

View attachment 434517

Has anyone removed the stitching from hood/sleeves? Curious if would improve anything. I think I'm going to water treat the robes.

Awesome comparison Chakaman! Re the stitches, yes I cut one thread on rear of hood it gives a lot more range to work with.

Curious for those receiving theirs and live in Washington State how much is your shipping from SS? I ordered mine from BBTS (still waiting) but only $4 shipping. So is patience the game here for savings?

Curious for those receiving theirs and live in Washington State how much is your shipping from SS? I ordered mine from BBTS (still waiting) but only $4 shipping. So is patience the game here for savings?

SS seems to charge from about $19+ to about $24+ for shipping in the Cont US.

I live 20 miles from SS and they charged me $19.68. I have a friend in Chicago and they charged him about $22.

Back