Hot Toys ROTJ Emperor Palpatine

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm still hoping we do get the neutral face which was teased in the ROTJ Luke promo pics. Really I hope we got enough with this release (including a good head sculpt or 2) as they will probably never revisit the Emperor again. ....

Never is a long time. Hot toys has revisited a few figures. I don't think this needs a DX because it's just hands and head. I'm not even sure if he is going commando with flip flops on under the robe. Maybe that's why this has elements of ROTS, because you see his whole head in that movie.

Never is a long time. Hot toys has revisited a few figures. I don't think this needs a DX because it's just hands and head. I'm not even sure if he is going commando with flip flops on under the robe. Maybe that's why this has elements of ROTS, because you see his whole head in that movie.

True true...the Emperor is better with hood up for sure in my opinion. I always found the whole head to be very underwhelming. But yes....never is a long time and we all know Hot Toys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The emperor's throne room is going to be the centerpiece of my collection so I'm hoping for the best. This is pretty much a 100% purchase if they provide an additional sculpt.

If they really screw it up I'll have to put Tarkin on the throne, or Jedi Luke.

We're sorry, your highness, but that's the sculpt we're going to go with, like the SSC figure before ours.

dd45585372a5a8afb97a6abba0b88c62.jpg

So be it. Hot Toys.

I think too many people are fooled by angles, lighting, and the fact that Ian McDiarmid's makeup wasn't consistent from scene to scene throughout Return of the Jedi. The makeup for ROTJ was incomplete and slightly peculiar in the brow region given how Palpatine was never to be seen without his hood.

main-qimg-0f53ee4cb43c7e2deeb72754937fe60e-c

Compare that with this:
MQTzlqM.jpg

It makes sense that the sculpt needs to be an amalgamation, and a reference to the ROTS prosthetic is necessary for the sake of continuity.

Well based on the expression, I think it's pretty demonstrable they had this shot in mind:

emperor-639507.jpg

So use that particular shot as a reference point to start with on which to base the sculpt on. His eyes in this screen shot are a lot more red than what is on the sculpt.

Well, I'm assuming it's not properly painted yet. Also, I really hope he comes with a lightsaber and two gripping hands--he may not have used lightsabers in ROTJ, but he had them on his person, and did use them in the time period.

If HT decides to make a ROTS Palps, I'm totally out, never liked the puffy look of the ROTS Emperor. ROTJ all the way for me. And only if they change the sculpt.

ROTS emperor was CGI looking for some reason.

I attribute that to the perfect symetry of the makeup, between the prosthetics pealing away from McDiarmid's face and the asymetrical features, ROTJ looks much different from ROTS, but, the crew on ROTS seemed all about perfecting/idealizing things, like making a symetrical Vader helmet.

It makes sense that the sculpt needs to be an amalgamation, and a reference to the ROTS prosthetic is necessary for the sake of continuity.

Given HT's pretty strong attention to accuracy for the SW line (e.g., black tusk on ANH Vader, sticker residue on sandtrooper pauldron, separate ROTJ stormtrooper sculpt), I would be very surprised if HT actually wanted this sculpt to suddenly be an amalgamation between portraits that are not even from the same trilogy.

IT's not like there's a lack of reference material to make the distinction between ROTJ and ROTS, and other products have carried a distinction so it's not like a Disney/LFL dictation, it's all on the sculptor.

I could see them making an amalgamation if they don't plan to make the prequel emperor. It probably wouldn't be a popular decision but they do have a limited understanding of SW.

I'm in the crowd that doesn't feel it was a finished sculpt or at least finished paint. I think the sculpt will be tweaked and the paint and the eyes will be better.

I would prefer a ROTJ sculpt but I also like the prequel look so I will still get it if it's executed well.

Back