Hot Toys ROTJ Emperor Palpatine

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see more ROTS than ROTJ, but honestly it looks off from either equally. I do think the paint is hurting it right now, all the pics look like normal human eyes, not bright Sith eyes and certainly no redness to the skin of eye sockets. ROTS went so heavy on the eye socket he had a rackoon look vs the more subtle Jedi look.

ROTJ = pre-order

ROTS = Pass and keep my SS version.

I wouldn't mind picking up the sideshow exclusive but I don't care as much for the neutral sculpt or the current prices. I can understand if you already have it though...in that case the HT looks like a definite wait and see.

The pics of Palps included with the ROTJ Luke look different than what is shown at the Con, so perhaps we will be getting two head sculpts? Maybe a ROTS evil smiling and ROTJ neutral? I want ROTJ all the way.

I just want a head sculpt that looks like the Emperor. Maybe I'm being harsh but the sculpt shown so far doesn't remind me of PT or OT Palps. It would be great if HT includes a 2nd more neutral head sculpt though but if they do I wonder if it will be an exclusive.

The pics of Palps included with the ROTJ Luke look different than what is shown at the Con, so perhaps we will be getting two head sculpts? Maybe a ROTS evil smiling and ROTJ neutral? I want ROTJ all the way.

I think you are right that a 2nd portrait exists, likely a neutral one, you can see that his lips are closed, definitely not the same as the con head. Nose looks very McDiarmid in profile.

IMG_6638.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_6637.jpg
    IMG_6637.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 166
I would just want a RotJ Emperor.

Facial expression is RotJ, likeness is there, but unfortunately, RotS likeness is also there. I personally have nothing against the RotS likeness, but if it's a RotJ Emperor, then make him look RotJ. It's like trying to pass off ANH Vader as also being a RotJ Vader because Vader is Vader. :lol

I think you've misunderstood me. It's required to be an amalgamation on some level, because Palpatine's hoodless facial features in ROTJ are not only incomplete, but diverge from what ended up being his canonical appearance. Every sculpt for Palpatine--from Hasbro to Sideshow--that allows the hood to be removed has incorporated elements of the ROTS makeup.

He looks more menacing than the ROTJ one.
I agree completely.

c4b20fecb311c1c35eba8152fcb1e5a3.jpg

2030aed27d9ee6ef98eb1362bb5e3900.jpg

I'll never think of the Emperor from the PT. I rather enjoyed some of the PT...hated Palpatine. I always loved the mystery behind the Empire Clive Revill hologram and than the Return of the Jedi Emperor. Look wise, characterization wise...PT was just over to top. Too demonic, almost cartoony.

I agree that they have to add elements of the PT as it was only during that era that we saw a fully uncloaked Emperor...I just hope that the PT reference is only for the parts we don't see in Return.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll never think of the Emperor from the PT. I rather enjoyed some of the PT...hated Palpatine. I always loved the mystery behind the Empire Clive Revill hologram and than the Return of the Jedi Emperor. Look wise, characterization wise...PT was just over to top. Too demonic, almost cartoony.

I agree that they have to add elements of the PT as it was only during that era that we saw a fully uncloaked Emperor...I just hope that the PT reference is only for the parts we don't see in Return.

There's a great podcast called "I Was There Too". It's interviews with extras and bit players in famous films. Matt Gourley does a mini-series of shows dedicated to Star Wars and does a deep dive into the Emperor in The Empire Strikes Back. Worth checking out for this and a heap of other interviews.

151d394407b767389ab6bc38fa612853.jpg

What do you guys think of this custom SS?

Those screenshots make for a rather poor comparison. Observe how the shadows fall on his face and the position of the hood; the first image features Sidious without his iconic black cloak clasped around his neck, and the second image has Sidious wearing an entirely different outfit. I agree that there are differences, but I believe those divergences are being overstated. The makeup in ROTJ was cobbled together at different points and broke continuity. During the Emperor's arrival, his chin featured too many skin folds and wrinkles; in the Emperor's second appearance in ROTJ, his chin features a prominent skin protuberance that in some shots appears to be a mole.

Palpatine was always over the top, which is what makes him appealing. Do you really think a realistic dictator is going to cackle vociferously in front of thousands of his subjects? He's a nutcase and a psychopath, and I don't see how leaning closer to demonic aesthetics isn't preferable to decrepitness.

I just saw it today on eBay and bought it. I will probably buy this one too but glad to have the SS just in case as my display is Empire driven.

That looks great too. I'd like a closer look at the details if you have any more pics.

here is a closer look might try to get a little closer to the eyes with some blood red color not sure yet and high light the mouth to make it closer to how eczamurai's did to make it look like shadowing and opening look. IMG_0282.jpg

Back