Hot Toys ROTJ Emperor Palpatine

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry for spamming with yet another photo, but I did some more work on him and thought I'd show you. :monkey3
I shortened the cane today (by about 5-6 mm) and removed the padding on the legs to slim him down a bit and make it easier to drape the cloak around him. Again, futzing makes most difference though. I might still remove some mm from the cane, but I didn't want to do too much at once. The arm resting on the cane already looks much better though.

View attachment 445011

Looks amazing, great posing!!!

What method did you use to shorten the cane? This is the first figure I'm trying to mod. I already ordered a new robe to remove the stitches.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

That stitch mod does wonders. Glad I wasn’t the only one to see the benefits of it. First thing I did when I got mine some weeks back. Helped I scored an extra from TA to keep stock. The one I cut the stitches had a snag on the hood part.

Same, TA saved me on that one. I'm way too hesitant to mod my only figure / accessories.

Thanks guys! Agreed, the stitches are holding the figure back in a big way IMO, all stitches need to go.

I increased his height (using the same onesixthkit ankle extenders other here used) and spend more time futzing him. For example, a small detail, but his belt/sash under his robe should have the ends longer than it was tied out of the box. The hood also was not wide enough yet last time. The height helped with the cane holding, but the cane definitely needs to lose some height - that's my next to-do.

I'm starting to really like him, my initial mixed feelings are quickly evaporating. :yess: I'm even liking the grin, which, with proper hood placement and lighting, looks more sinister than comical.

Here are some new shots in low light (the last one was during the day). The lighting is all purely from my setup.

View attachment 444865

View attachment 444866

May I ask where you got the replacement Vader cloak/s from?

My Palpatine....

It's a good figure. I only wished they gave us another head. Here are a few pictures...
3d8d7f3a25bcb32955294ebcb74ca1d9.jpg
4fbee03bf99b7c0e6298b1bae3716a17.jpg
7a86b27eab4565f6cf48ccd54f71c6b0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thanks guys!

What method did you use to shorten the cane? This is the first figure I'm trying to mod. I already ordered a new robe to remove the stitches.

I used an xacto knife and cut off thin slices from the bottom bit by bit, trying it on the figure every time to check if the height is good. The cane is quite sturdy, cast in some translucent material, so you need to apply some force to cut through it. The bottom is of course not glossy black anymore now, but how often do you see the bottom of a cane?

May I ask where you got the replacement Vader cloak/s from?

It's a custom cape and inner robe I made, using fabric I bought many years ago. It's a custom Vader overall, not using any HT parts (mostly kaiyodo and Sideshow DX).

My Palpatine....

It's a good figure. I only wished they gave us another head. Here are a few pictures...

Looks good! I also wish he came with another sculpt. While the smiling sculpt is really starting to grow on me, it does limit the options of poses quite a bit.

Another thing that I can't unsee anymore is how large his hands are. I know some mentioned it here before, and I definitely agree - they are grossly oversized IMO. I'm currently looking into what hands best to use for him that match movie scenes, and then repaint them to match.
I think this comparison illustrates the issue quite well. I know different lenses and angles can make a big difference, but both shots are taken from about eye level, and I used a 50mm on a crop sensor, effectively having a 75mm focal length - that should remove any significant lens distortion in my shot.
I think I also need to add some padding to the back of his shoulders, to make that hunched over look stronger... Overall, I'm really enjoying these mods as you might be able to tell. :lol

IMG_7277_2_smallcomp.jpg

Yeah, the hands size issue was the first thing that hit me when I first saw the figure but I think the head is a touch undersized as well.

I posted this pic a few years ago to show that the HT hands are about the same size as the hasbro Palps hands - and Hasbro 12" figures have heads and hands that are maybe 20% larger than a standard 1/6 figure.

bH4T6dJ.png

Sorry for, likely a stupid question, but.. which stitches are being removed in this mod? Is there a wire in the hood or is it the stitching on the front rim of the hood?

Sorry for, likely a stupid question, but.. which stitches are being removed in this mod? Is there a wire in the hood or is it the stitching on the front rim of the hood?
Yeah I have the same question. Mine is currently on its way to me from BBTS and I would love to see the area of the hood that needs the stitches removed

Opened my Palpatine Deluxe Set today. Mine has great looking eyes. They look more yellow than any pictures I’ve seen, just not as yellow as Anakin’s Sith eyes. The only problem I found with my set is a dark line in the center of the throne’s seat cushion. It looks like a skid mark.[emoji23] I’m not too worried since I plan to always have the seat occupied.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I have the same question. Mine is currently on its way to me from BBTS and I would love to see the area of the hood that needs the stitches removed

Mine arrived from BBTS today, and the hood definitely needs altering; I can't get it over his head far enough to cover his face like in the movie. Fantastic sculpt, however. I plan on posing mine with the force lightning so didn't care about the throne.

There is a wire in the opening/front rim of the hood - you want to leave that as it is, it helps a lot for posing.
There are 5 stitches in total which are supposed to keep the hood in a good pose. 2 are in front (1 left, 1 right) that keep the hood attached to the upper chest/front of the shoulders. Then there are 2 more on the sides of the hood (again 1 left, 1 right) that creates a fold in the hood itself. If I recall correctly, these are not actually attached to the shoulders. Finally there is one stitch on the back of the hood in the bottom center, keeping it attached to the back.
All of these 5 stitches should be removed to get the best look IMO.

Opened my Palpatine Deluxe Set today. Mine has great looking eyes. They look more yellow than any pictures I’ve seen, just not as yellow as Anakin’s Sith eyes. The only problem I found with my set is a dark line in the center of the throne’s seat cushion. It looks like a skid mark.[emoji23] I’m not too worried since I plan to always have the seat occupied.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like V.2 has started shipping.:monkey3

Back