Hot Toys ROTJ Emperor Palpatine

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I could never understand the people who get all breathless over light up features. The lights could fail at anytime devaluing the figure and chair.

You could also be flattened by a bus tomorrow, ending all of your future toy enjoyment as well...?

Also we are only talking a $100 prop here, I would be far more concerned about electronics failure on something like the Ecto 1.

I have the deluxe. And I think it's great to have additional display options with the throne. He looks great either standing or sitting. And even standing, the throne is a great backdrop.

My throne was perfect...well I am getting older and my eyes tend to deceive me ;) The throne really adds to this piece in my opinion. Comes down to cost and display space.

I ordered the deluxe but later questioned my decision so I ordered the regular version. I figured Id sell the deluxe and keep the regular.

man, I wanted the regular version gone that very day it arrived. Theres something very unsatisfying about opening Palps up with no throne. Plus your mind starts questioning such a minimal figures price.

I ordered the deluxe but later questioned my decision so I ordered the regular version. I figured Id sell the deluxe and keep the regular.

man, I wanted the regular version gone that very day it arrived. Theres something very unsatisfying about opening Palps up with no throne. Plus your mind starts questioning such a minimal figures price.

So have you decided not to sell your deluxe version after all?

That was sort of my reaction to the regular, but I'm digging the deluxe. Different strokes and all that.

So have you decided not to sell your deluxe version after all?

Kept the deluxe and already sold the regular version.
On the contrary, Had no trouble at all selling him - so I guess some people really don't need the throne.

I plan on getting the regular version myself too. I can't justify the $100 price tag for the throne. That's almost half of another figure I would rather buy instead

I could never understand the people who get all breathless over light up features. The lights could fail at anytime devaluing the figure and chair.

I agree about this on all collectibles. I rarely turn on the lights, the lights themselves can fail indeed, the batteries can leak (though I use Panasonic Eneloops, those are expensive, and the small cell batteries still leak).

I agree about this on all collectibles. I rarely turn on the lights, the lights themselves can fail indeed, the batteries can leak (though I use Panasonic Eneloops, those are expensive, and the small cell batteries still leak).

Yeah the lights went on my SSC C-3PO... dark forever with eyes that looked way better lit up.

I received my Emperor yesterday. Out of the box, I have very mixed feelings, liking a lot of things, but also disliking a lot.
I was never a big fan of the expression, and unfortunately it's not much different in hand than in photos. I removed all the stitches of the hood immediately. Draping it more over the head does improve the likeness and expression IMO, especially from a 3/4 view.
The texture of the robe is quite nice, but it's a bit too shiny overall. A clear improvement over the thick Sideshow version though.
The hands that are included are well sculpted and painted, but there are simply not enough. We get plenty of right hands, but what about a relaxed left hand? We only get the lightning hand and gesturing with the pinky extended.
I probably missed it being mentioned before, but my biggest issue is actually that the cane is quite a bit too long. Palps should almost have an outstretched arm when standing straight and holding the cane. In my shot below, he's already leaning a bit to his left, has the arm angled quite a bit, the hand turned upwards, and still, the cane is angled a bit to the front. I hope extending his overall height will help a bit, but I will probably have to shave off a couple of mm at the bottom.
Overall I do like him, but I mostly see a lot of potential. Some of the modifications I'm already thinking about are: repaint the eyes, customize a new relaxed left hand (resculpt and repaint one from my fodder box), extend height, shorten cane.

Anyway, here's a shot with some quick futzing, trying to replicate the reference image. As mentioned, the stitches in the hood have already been removed, the rest is stock.

IMG_7241_2_small.jpg

palpatine122.jpg

I received my Emperor yesterday. Out of the box, I have very mixed feelings, liking a lot of things, but also disliking a lot.
I was never a big fan of the expression, and unfortunately it's not much different in hand than in photos. I removed all the stitches of the hood immediately. Draping it more over the head does improve the likeness and expression IMO, especially from a 3/4 view.
The texture of the robe is quite nice, but it's a bit too shiny overall. A clear improvement over the thick Sideshow version though.
The hands that are included are well sculpted and painted, but there are simply not enough. We get plenty of right hands, but what about a relaxed left hand? We only get the lightning hand and gesturing with the pinky extended.
I probably missed it being mentioned before, but my biggest issue is actually that the cane is quite a bit too long. Palps should almost have an outstretched arm when standing straight and holding the cane. In my shot below, he's already leaning a bit to his left, has the arm angled quite a bit, the hand turned upwards, and still, the cane is angled a bit to the front. I hope extending his overall height will help a bit, but I will probably have to shave off a couple of mm at the bottom.
Overall I do like him, but I mostly see a lot of potential. Some of the modifications I'm already thinking about are: repaint the eyes, customize a new relaxed left hand (resculpt and repaint one from my fodder box), extend height, shorten cane.

Anyway, here's a shot with some quick futzing, trying to replicate the reference image. As mentioned, the stitches in the hood have already been removed, the rest is stock.

View attachment 444518

View attachment 444519

That looks fantastic!!!

Very cool looking, agonistes86! As usual, the HT hands look a bit oversized based on that reference shot, but not overly so. Really like the hood that way.
On the cane, do you have the SSC one? It may be shorter (I remember having to really get a hunch going on the standing pose to get the can to hit the ground)

Here's the old SSC one...

SSC-EMPEROR-001.jpg

Looks great! I definitely agree the stitches need to come out to get the right look.

From a design standpoint, the Emperor was never one of the standouts. I remember being somewhat disappointed when we finally saw him in 1983. Just an old man in a cloak, that's it? But Lucas was once again using his multi-cultural-grab approach -- very simple, classic 'evil'; the anti-Yoda. So out of the box is pretty lean on excitement from most everyone that's posted. But, he does grow on you over time. The simplicity works. Much like Tarkin.

Well I finally ordered the regular version today from BBTS. Can't wait to display him in my collection :)

So i haven't read the entire thread yet. Where are the stitches that everyone is talking about and is there a video on how to remove them?

On the fence with this release. Every Star Wars collections needs an emperor but I feel like HT may release an EP3 version...Im a huge fan of that red robe and feel like they would give him more yellow eyes in that version. who knows though. First world problems.

This one is apparently selling out fast and I dont see a comparable OT emperor on the horizon anytime soon. Personally prefer RoTJ emperor over episode III, and his eyes are yellow enough, I got him standing next to sith Anakin, they're just hidden under brows of doom.

This one is apparently selling out fast and I dont see a comparable OT emperor on the horizon anytime soon. Personally prefer RoTJ emperor over episode III, and his eyes are yellow enough, I got him standing next to sith Anakin, they're just hidden under brows of doom.

They’re far less yellow than Anakin’s when they should have been the same or more pronounced due to the heavy brow shadows.

Back