1/6 Hot Toys R2-D2 (Artoo-Detoo) - TFA Version

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No way I can pass on R2 especially with that pretty metal dome. It will be an even $200 I bet. As others have said multiple R2s are a plus not a problem.

b1a87948f7bbea3abea95cd73969abb0.jpg

I don't see "TFA" anywhere on this release. Is this a "generic" R2?

I don't think so. The pic of the back of the dome has a blue strip of LED dots. I think OT R2 had a green/red mix of lights in that color strip. Im no expert though.

This is an obvious cash grab. Get the mold started then add the good stuff later. The real one with all the opening compartments and accessories will most likely be unveiled with Episode 8 or right after they release their Yoda fig.

I don't think so. The pic of the back of the dome has a blue strip of LED dots. I think OT R2 had a green/red mix of lights in that color strip. Im no expert though.

It's called the Rear Logic Display. thanks Google.

Top is HT R2
Bottom is google image search

012aa0b381c3b95b7691f8f74d3b9669.jpg

I'm picking this one up and all subsequent versions.

Where Sideshows R5-D4 is actually well done and doesn't require a HT replacement, R2 definitely needs the HT metal dome and better paint application.

Bring on "Gonk"!

I'm picking this one up and all subsequent versions.

Where Sideshows R5-D4 is actually well done and doesn't require a HT replacement, R2 definitely needs the HT metal dome and better paint application.

Bring on "Gonk"!

I think SS R5-D4 is beautiful unfortunately I have no place for it in my collection as I don't like picking up background characters. But a BIG thumbs up for what I see at the collectable stores

This looks good... but the lack of opening compartments is a disappointment. I know he didn't really do much or open anything in TFA, but making an all-in-one would have been preferable to buying this now and waiting for a better, more inclusive, version to come along. The Sideshow one is quite nice... just too bad they compartments don't stay closed when you move him around.

the inevitable comparisons... I was generous and used a TFA still, in the middle. Right is Sideshow, left is Hot Toys.

Untitled-3.jpg

Wow this one does look very tempting. Much as I like my SS R2 (especially after reweathering it and going through the trouble of building a better lifeform scanner for it), it still has sort of a plastic toy kind of look to it that's hard to ignore.

But this has much more of the look of a shrunken down R2 from the movie, with not only the diecast dome but a more solid metal looking body as well. And of course I'm also a big fan of the heavier TFA-style weathering they've given it.

Although I do wish they had put it on some bigger wheels, and not had it sitting so low on the ground. Not sure why companies always ignore that part.

I'm in -- for the metal dome and sounds alone. I'll use the sound about as much as I use the opening compartments (never)... but I'll always see that shiny chrome-dome.

Unless there is some unique part that makes this TFA only OR he is also out of scale with Threepio, he will be replacing my SS.

It would have been nice if R2 came with some sort of Base and a Backdrop. As great as he looks (with die cast , lights and sounds) the product just feels plain. Mights as well put him in clamshell packaging and ship out.

I'm in -- for the metal dome and sounds alone. I'll use the sound about as much as I use the opening compartments (never)... but I'll always see that shiny chrome-dome.

Unless there is some unique part that makes this TFA only OR he is also out of scale with Threepio, he will be replacing my SS.

The rust weathering on the dome is unique to TFA. I'll wait for a cleaner version before making the upgrade from SSC.

I would buy this if I didn't know TLJ version is coming, plus others. HT will invariably upgrade for the next version.

Back