1/6 Hot Toys R2-D2 (Artoo-Detoo) - TFA Version

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am new to Hot Toys.

Today I was very excited as I got my first Hot Toys Figure (R2-D2 Regular not Deluxe).

I got it on eBay and it was used.

Seller said it needed new batteries.

So I went to Walmart today and bought new batteries.

This is what Happened

At first nothing happened and I was very worried.

Then I got it to light up and was happy.

So I tried the sound effects next with the remote control.

Didn't work.

And even worse the lights immediately turned off when I pressed the button on the remote.

Nothing worked at this point and I became worried again.

So I took out the batteries and put them in again.

Now everything worked perfectly.

After an hour or two I tried to show somebody the sound effects but they would not work.

So I tried it with the lights off.

For some reason it worked with lights off.

I tried it with the first set of light on and it worked.

But with all lights on it worked 1 out of 10 tries maybe.

But always worked with lights off and first set of light on.

Strange but ok.

Soon after I noticed that the Lights all looked very dim.

Now it does not work at all.

So my question is

Is this Normal for this figure?

Or is the Figure Defective?

I googled and found a thread on Reddit where a few people had problems and said you just need new batteries.

They said even if lights are not on just leaving it on the "On" Position instead of the "Off" Position will Drain the Battery.

But I bought New Batteries today (Cost me $20).

I find it very very hard to believe that a few super low power LED lights can drain 5 Brand New Batteries in 1-2 Hours.

Am I wrong?

Any Help is Greatly Appreciated.

I need to know if I need to Contact the eBay Seller about Returning it.

Or do I just Need New Batteries?

No experience personally. But from what I have read light up functions in Hot Toys figures are there for 30 minutes or so. Then you need new batteries.

What I know from deluxe R2 is, it will drain the batteries as long as its turned on. Even if you don't push the button. Because the receiver is waiting for a signal from the remote and that uses power. So you have to turn it off when you're not using it.

What I know from deluxe R2 is, it will drain the batteries as long as its turned on. Even if you don't push the button. Because the receiver is waiting for a signal from the remote and that uses power. So you have to turn it off when you're not using it.
Good to know.

I don't have the Deluxe R2-D2 I have the Basic one (I am sure it doesn't matter but just in case I wanted to note that).

Any idea how long the batteries last (Both in the On Position with No Lights on and Full Lights)?

This sucks so now every time I want to light it up I have to take the top off and flip the switch.

I wish they put the switch on the bottom in instead of under the dome.

I am curious you mentioned it was due to the remote that the batteries get drained (Even when the lights are not actually on
but the switch is in the "On Position").

Will I have an issue with Darth Vader and his light up lightsaber when I get him?

Or will it be fine since there is no remote with Vader?

Or will I have a problem but it just won't be as severe as with R2-D2?

No the light saber just has an on off switch. You just have to role up the sleeve which is impractical.

We should really be able to plug R2 in to external power. Thats the only down side to the figure

Hot toys really are annoying when it comes to light up features. Something that can look so impressive is just so fiddly and impractical to use. I had one of the 1/4 scale iron man which came with about a dozen lights all hidden under flaps and sections that had to be removed to turn on. Also had that droid from rogue one that you had to prise the top of his head off just to turn the light on and off, was a joke

Rant over

Good to know.

I don't have the Deluxe R2-D2 I have the Basic one (I am sure it doesn't matter but just in case I wanted to note that).

Any idea how long the batteries last (Both in the On Position with No Lights on and Full Lights)?

This sucks so now every time I want to light it up I have to take the top off and flip the switch.

I wish they put the switch on the bottom in instead of under the dome.
To clarify, despite the MMS511 being called Deluxe, there’s only one OT and one ST version and the latter is not the basic/standard of the other.

There’s the MMS408 R2-D2 from The Force Awakens which it sounds like you have, and MMS511 R2-D2 Deluxe from the OT. They’re separate releases with a lot of time between them and representative of different trilogies.

I had the MMS408 but long sold it. Currently have MMS511 and highly recommend it though prices are crazy. I can’t personally speak to how long the batteries last because I only put the batteries in long enough to test if it works. But I am inclined to believe other reports of similar things happening.

If your figure actually turns on and works, even for a short time, it’s probably fine. Hot Toys is not known for good or well designed electronic features so I would not let that be a focus in building your collection. A lot of people don’t really bother with them.

Wiring can be shoddy, quality iffy, the battery compartments are hard to get to, and light switches are often in terrible spots. Worst is the Iron Man Mk 46 I think, but the lightsaber arms are up there in the inconvenient switch department.

If there’s no sign that the previous user left the batteries in and let it corrode or if the figures not doing anything funky beyond draining the batteries fast, then I don’t think returning and buying another one would be worthwhile.

If you want it on all the time, Soap Reactor batteries are an option that lets you plug them in. Usually people use them for Iron Man figures but I’m guessing it’d be the same principle for R2.

Decided to pick up this guy, my first R2 (polished the dome off the heavy grime)
2021-12-24-14-10-34.jpg

2021-12-24-14-04-18.jpg

Last edited:
Back