1/6 Hot Toys R2-D2 (Artoo-Detoo) - TFA Version

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the Tama 3PO and the SS R2. I don't plan to buy HT 3PO, I like my Tama but that R2... The dome looks much better than SS, the metal looks like metal!

Same here, I prefer the Tama 3PO and wont get another one until Hot Toys takes out an OT 3PO preferibly tatooine weathered. But this R2 is a thing of beauty and I love how weathered he is. I have the SSC R2 and I've always found it dissapointing. The plastic looks cheap, the paint job is hasbro quality, the doors fling open and the light function drains the batteries super fast and doesn't work well with battery eliminators. Also the seam line on the dome is something you'd expect from a $20 figure. I'll get this HT and repaint the SSC to put it next to Yoda's hut.

Goes without saying (but I'll say it anyway)

TIME TO UPGRADE MY PLASTIC AND FLIMSY SIDESHOW ARTOO!! Woo! Love the gimmicks because I know they'll be better than Sideshow's attempt. :lol

Dat diecast dome tho... Guess I'll be holding onto my Threepio until they do a proper ANH version.

Wow the Tamashii gets huge praise. I'm excited I bought it. Can't wait to get it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tell that to Hot Toys Vader.
Yes that was a huge fail for them. They should've put all the sounds in the base. This on the other hand will actually work because it won't require removing of any clothes. I didn't bother with any of that with Vader, best not to. No frustration and better enjoyment of the piece.

I'm blown away by the look of the dc dome, but the "headsculpt" itself seems about as accurate as many of the others in the HT SW line - which is decent, but hardly "spot on."

The size of the main black "eye" is a bit too big (and proportionately wrong in the blue box,) the light-up red eye below it is noticeably too small and its blue rectangle too big, the rectangular lamps at left look a tad off and the holoprojector tube looks off.

Maybe they had to make adjustments for the metal (Tamashii did with their 3PO) but it looked a little off to me immediately in an overall sense.

2zpnmur.png

I wouldn't be surprised if those inaccuracies changed from movie to movie. Or even within the same movie depending on who made the version of R2 they were using. At 1:6 scale in hand they will be pretty minute differences.

I wouldn't be surprised if those inaccuracies changed from movie to movie. Or even within the same movie depending on who made the version of R2 they were using. At 1:6 scale in hand they will be pretty minute differences.

Domes were all the same in the OT - the holoprojector changed a little in ANH vs ESB/ROTJ, but it's minor.

People around here are all about minute differences.:lol

But this is TFA. they built an entirely new set of R2's for this movie. Seems like some of the differences are screen accurate.
284e9fd89a7bf2056b3373c074e9b59c.png

48feca2d0775a6053d584cfc2f9be17c.png

4a42422f50ea9a36091649244be12598.png

172997139a6f8a8e226c43f7445511c8.png

That DC dome sure makes it interesting. Better go for this than SS if I`m picking it up.
Hope it won`t go over $200.

But this is TFA. they built an entirely new set of R2's for this movie. Seems like some of the differences are screen accurate.
284e9fd89a7bf2056b3373c074e9b59c.png

Hmm, as nice as the HT dome looks, it really is a lot more shiny and reflective than it ever actually looked in TFA and the other movies (and looks more like the overly shiny domes on many R2 replicas). Add to that the other little inaccuracies and I think I actually prefer the SSC R2 a bit more now.

Obviously the main thing the HT has going for it is a more solid and metal appearance, but I think I'd rather have a more accurately designed one myself (and one that I can also have my custom life form scanner popping out of, which it doesn't look like the HT will be capable of).

Need Hot Toys to now do a figure of this, with fizz bombs as accessories.
997fb4343af68761918baa3436f347db.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I don't know he looks fine to me. I can't even see the differences with the 2 pictures and you pointing them out to me. :dunno. I guess I'm getting too old to see and care.:lol

I'm with you. I'm getting it for he simple fact that it looks like a proper metal done and it's right sized. I can't see the differences...so I'm good.

Back