Hot Toys Predator, Predator 2, Predators, AvP, AvP:R 1/6 + 1/4 scale announcement

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good post. True. My motivation if I sell anything as a result of this announcement though would just be that I can't afford to own every single HT predator. If I want this new one, I'll have to sell a previous one to afford it. At the moment I'm thinking I might sell my Rodriguez 'Predators' and Wolf and stick to P1 and P2 only. Hard choices lie ahead. If we can call choices related to toys 'hard'. Shut up they are!

I suppose it depends on when looking at your collection would you rather have a few pieces from everything or more than a few from P1 and P2.
Not to hard of a choice for me anymore and I'll stick tom P1 and P2 ( unless I win the lottery ).

I suppose it depends on when looking at your collection would you rather have a few pieces from everything or more than a few from P1 and P2.
Not to hard of a choice for me anymore and I'll stick tom P1 and P2 ( unless I win the lottery ).

Exactly. Of course I'd love to have it every way. Every example of P2 and P1 in every scale from every company PLUS all the other Predator characters from the AvPs and Predators but...theres just too many and prices are going up.

Whats amazing though is how quickly my priorites have changed as a result of this announcement. Just last night I thought to myself I would more likely cancel Shadow Predator than Tracker Predator...now its reversed because suddenly I'm thinking I have to go P1 and P2 only and Shadow is in P2.

Last edited:
Wow. For me it all goes down to the price and sculpt to see if I really get into this. But if the P2 Elder is real good, how can I turn it down?

I'd much prefer if Neca would do this, I just trust more in their accuracy, and their figures are kinda statuesque, so they look better in 1/4. I don't want 1/4 showing all the balljoints or getting loose joints (I remember loose joints from my HT Wolf and HT P2 and I barely played with them).

Thank God I sold all my HT Predators this year.

Maybe they are doing 1/4 Dutch so they can use same body from possible 1/4 bane

gonna try and stay away from these but i have no doubt they'll be awesome......as it is 1/6 is getting too expensive, i can more or less imagine the price on these bad boys if done in 1/4 scale, knowing hot toys probably double the amout of a sideshow pf. :(

I would probably buy a 1/4 scale Predator 1 Pred. . .

Though I doubt it is the intention, this move may be providing a serious threat to Sideshow's 1/4 scale statues. Better paint apps and articulation at (probably) similar prices. It's a brave new world.

Awesome news !
I am looking forward to this.
It's about time high quality, super detail 1/4 scale figure come to rise.

Count me in !!!!

Also from NEWP2-thread - 1/4 AVP yauja sculpting:

2a5ae76.jpg

As I said in other thread, Strange nobody had paid attention to this article which was posted before...

"Making of Predator by master Joseph Tsang –

To wrap up the year of 2011, for Joseph, the most satisfied project is Classic Predator, which actually he thinks the design is very closed to the Predator from the first movie in 1987 and he is very much inspired by this movie which he started to fall in love into creatures.

Recently, he is working on the 1/4th scale of Classic Predator from the first movie, which allows more room to showcase more obvious details, will be definitely a surprise for fans and he believes that most Predator fans will like it too!

Besides, he is also working on the 1/6th scale of Predator from the Predator 2 movie, which will also be an amazing piece of works! Stay tuned for more Joseph’s marvelous works in 2012!"
from HT facebook page

I've never understood the logic that if a company releases new figures or statues of the same character it automatically means you have to sell the one before it. Just because other people can get something that's apparently better than what you already have doesn't mean it sucks.
I'd only sell the original's if I could get extra cash and get the new and improved versions. If you don't want new things , just don't get them.

If you were happy with your figures yeterday why aren't you now ?. :dunno

Imagine you guys were collecting phones or something similar , a new one comes out every day.

Hot toys want to make money , it's that simple. This looks like a massive improvement to me also so I'm all for seeing them pushing the boundaries forward and ignoring people who are mad.

Look at it from this point of view , hot toys released the avp predators. What were they ? , $80.00 ?. :lol

These new ones will probably be $250.00 +.
They've improved their techniques over the years , the price reflects that ( with more added because they can ) and now they want to please the fans by making better versions of some of their most popular figures.

:lecture You speak much sense. They are after all a business, yet people seem to take it as a personal afront to their collections that Hot Toys dare to improve on something they have already invested in. Guess what, Ferrari wont stop bringing out better faster cars when/if you buy one. I guess that is a crass comparison, but what I'm saying is the clocks wont stop and the world doesn't cease spinning for any of us. Just enjoy your collection and your collecting. If you dont, if it gets to the point you feel your life is compromised by a company releasing some toys... it really is time to walk away.

:lecture You speak much sense. They are after all a business, yet people seem to take it as a personal afront to their collections that Hot Toys dare to improve on something they have already invested in. Guess what, Ferrari wont stop bringing out better faster cars when/if you buy one. I guess that is a crass comparison, but what I'm saying is the clocks wont stop and the world doesn't cease spinning for any of us. Just enjoy your collection and your collecting. If you dont, if it gets to the point you feel your life is compromised by a company releasing some toys... it really is time to walk away.
I agree that people get too worked up over all this, but I don't agree with hicks's sentiment that you should still enjoy your older figures just as much as you previously did when improved versions come out. Something does change with the re-release of these newer figures, and that is the perception of the older figure. The flaws that were previously easy to ignore or accept become more glaring and obvious. I personally think it is a win-win because folks who had the older ones will still be able to sell them for a profit, and probably for enough to buy the updated one.

From my POV, the only ones who lose out are: 1) those who paid too much for the older ones and now feel ripped off (though Hot Toys does this so much that I think people should expect that this is going to happen when deciding to pay so much); 2) those who bought the old ones as investments and are now pissed that their investments aren't paying off insane dividends; and 3) those who relish in having something relatively rare and special that others want and can't have. The rest of us win! The pros outweigh the cons!

From my POV, the only ones who lose out are: 1) those who paid too much for the older ones and now feel ripped off (though Hot Toys does this so much that I think people should expect that this is going to happen when deciding to pay so much); 2) those who bought the old ones as investments and are now pissed that their investments aren't paying off insane dividends; and 3) those who relish in having something relatively rare and special that others want and can't have. The rest of us win! The pros outweigh the cons!
True. And to be fair, it's not Hot Toys fault if someone with too much expendable income dropped $800 on eBay for a figure that originally sold for $80. That was their decision, and they should never have expected that value to hold when every year brought figures that dramatically improved upon the year prior.

I agree that people get too worked up over all this, but I don't agree with hicks's sentiment that you should still enjoy your older figures just as much as you previously did when improved versions come out. Something does change with the re-release of these newer figures, and that is the perception of the older figure. The flaws that were previously easy to ignore or accept become more glaring and obvious. I personally think it is a win-win because folks who had the older ones will still be able to sell them for a profit, and probably for enough to buy the updated one.

Completely agreed!:goodpost:

All good points, but one thing I regularly say in reviews is NEVER look upon these things as long-term sound investments, after all if they were they would all be bought up by city traders. You just simply can not know how things will pan out, and pop culture is a fickle mistress.

I always think if someone invests millions in an original piece of art I pray they love it because of its aesthetic and because it 'spoke to them' on some level. Traders that snap up a Van Gogh (for the price of a hospital wing) deserve to make a loss, and I rellish when they do. I see the appreciation of art on any level as personal, and thank the lord we are all different. But getting angry about your hobby seems so counter productive that it is laughable (football fans fighting in the terraces jumps to mind). Be passionate, but be able to keep perspective.

What? After Superman, Clark Kent, Superman 2 in 1, Joker, Joker bank robber, Joker Dx (2.0 in near future!), Batman Tdk, Batman Dx, Batman Original cos, Batman 2011 ex... any collectors still actually believe this won't happen?
This is a great news. I'll look forward to 1/6 P2 2.0 and 1/4 Berserker (only if it's more accurate)

I await with glee the coming firesale of older 1:6th preds ;)

I don't and won't collect 1:4th scale due to the size and the surely higher prices, so bring on yer sales... just make them reasonable...

yeah right:monkey1

All good points, but one thing I regularly say in reviews is NEVER look upon these things as long-term sound investments, after all if they were they would all be bought up by city traders. You just simply can not know how things will pan out, and pop culture is a fickle mistress.

I always think if someone invests millions in an original piece of art I pray they love it because of its aesthetic and because it 'spoke to them' on some level. Traders that snap up a Van Gogh (for the price of a hospital wing) deserve to make a loss, and I rellish when they do. I see the appreciation of art on any level as personal, and thank the lord we are all different. But getting angry about your hobby seems so counter productive that it is laughable (football fans fighting in the terraces jumps to mind). Be passionate, but be able to keep perspective.
I agree, though I suppose we all go overboard about some things. You mention football. When it comes to the American version, I'm about as irrational and unreasonable as anyone else :lol Thankfully, I feel that I am able to understand these toys for what they are, though, and what they aren't is worthy of a form of serious emotional investment that can be threatened by superior updates being released.

And I should add that I think it is great that some like yourself and hicks can still enjoy the older figures for what they are even when "updated" versions are released. Certainly, newer versions don't always mean "better" versions to everyone, and there is always going to be a certain charm to some of those older releases that first attracted folks to them, even if they are technically inferior in terms of representing source material.

Back