1/6 Hot Toys - MMS420 - GOTG Vol.2 - Star-Lord Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don’t have the same brand of eraser I have Chux Big Job Magic Eraser and I use them to clean my walls.

The packaging states: “ideal for walls, house renovations, outdoor furniture and pool tiles. Caution: may dull some surfaces or change the appearance of some painted surfaces. Use only as directed. Test in an inconspicuous area first (!). Not for use on fibre-glass spas, automotive paint work, polyurethane surfaces, non-stick cookware or surfaces that are delicate or highly polished/glossy or have a brushed, satin, dark or faux finish as trapped dirt may scratch. Do not use on skin or other parts of the body.”

Aside from the fact that’s some hysterical care instructions I don’t think I want to be using this product on my HT!!

Not sure if that brand of the product is any different?

I didn't want to open mine but I figured I should, but how in the world can I get the jacket off his neck just enough to check the back of his neck???

So based on some of the feedback/replies from you guys, it's clear this cop out Magic Eraser method will do more harm than good.

Recently when I noticed the stains. I also collect 6in action figures and use erasures to take off paint blotches just be careful if you try it on a painted section as it removes paint and scratches if done too rough.

So just to be sure, the Magic Eraser method is baloney and doesn't work, right?

Hot toys should just send a replacement body to every single person that has an issue with the paint on the neck. Then just repair the bodies that we send back. Not that difficult.

So just to be sure, the Magic Eraser method is baloney and doesn't work, right?

It didnt work on my Hawkeye figure. I forgot I also tried it on my STRIKE Cap as the shirt stains the neck also and it didnt work.

The short jacket zipper is impossible to get down.

I have two Star Lord figures (Deluxe and Regular) and on the Deluxe I spent about 2 hours trying to get that dang zipper down off the Short Jacket.

I had to very carefully work the zipper handle back and forth, and gradually it zipped down past the section it didn’t want to zip down from.

Though you want to be careful on how your grip the zipper handle. If you use your nail you risk flaking off the black paint on the zipper handle which I unfortunately did on mine.

I have two Star Lord figures (Deluxe and Regular) and on the Deluxe I spent about 2 hours trying to get that dang zipper down off the Short Jacket.

I had to very carefully work the zipper handle back and forth, and gradually it zipped down past the section it didn’t want to zip down from.

Though you want to be careful on how your grip the zipper handle. If you use your nail you risk flaking off the black paint on the zipper handle which I unfortunately did on mine.

Speaking of the zipper, is the bottom of the short jacket supposed to be missing 2 zipper teeth? Is that normal or no?

I finally got mine down, what a PITA lol. No dying on my neck so I added some clear plastic from a bread bag around his neck and sealed him back up.

Speaking of the zipper, is the bottom of the short jacket supposed to be missing 2 zipper teeth? Is that normal or no?
I think it's normal, it's how mine is anyway.

I've used erasers to remove oil paint from models. I would have thought HT would use a clear lacquer over their final paint layer. If they didn't do this any fingers on the face or head (while posing etc) would pretty easily remove paint. Therefore they must have a clear protective layer.

So logically thinking the marking from the jacket must be some paint from it, which is now on the protective layer. It makes sense that a soft eraser could remove that mark from the hard lacquer layer without any big issue.

If you're really frightened, or have never used an eraser before, then do a test rub on the base of the neck which is not visible and see what happens....

This was the response I got regarding the Magic Eraser method...

Hot Toys has told Sideshow they use this method for paint defects such as what you were mentioning. It there is any paint problem involving the magic eraser (use it lightly to remove the discolored area only). They want you to try this method that is approved by Hot Toys for paint overspray and/or paint imperfections.

Why? We would get new bodies, and the bodies we send back would be simple to repair. Just paint over the spots of red. You got something better?

Absolutely I do. Straight replacement. That would show them they need to do better with QC.

You realize SSC says removing clothing/items from the figure isn't covered under their guidance? So if you remove say the pants and they rip, or a joint breaks, etc then that is on the customer and not going to be honored by SSC.

So replacing the bodies? Horrible proposal. Again at nearly $300 the customer shouldn't be responsible for dissecting the figure to correct their issues.

The smartphone comparison was solid - if you buy the latest smartphone and the volume key isn't functioning would you be ok with the company saying "here's all the parts - take apart the phone and fix it. By the way if this goes wrong you're on your own, screw off."

This was the response I got regarding the Magic Eraser method...

Hot Toys has told Sideshow they use this method for paint defects such as what you were mentioning. It there is any paint problem involving the magic eraser (use it lightly to remove the discolored area only). They want you to try this method that is approved by Hot Toys for paint overspray and/or paint imperfections.

And if the eraser does anything more than that you're on your own and they won't honor the replacement.

Awesome customer service...

And if the eraser does anything more than that you're on your own and they won't honor the replacement.

Awesome customer service...

Haha, no, no. That was an edited quote since there was other stuff stated that only pertained to me. BUT my seller has informed me if I am unable to remove the paint stain then they will provide a replacement.

I'm not sure whether "replacement" signifies only a body replacement, or an entirely new replaced Star-Lord...given my past experience it may mean only body replacement. We'll see though.

Haha, no, no. That was an edited quote since there was other stuff stated that only pertained to me. BUT my seller has informed me if I am unable to remove the paint stain then they will provide a replacement.

I'm not sure whether "replacement" signifies only a body replacement, or an entirely new replaced Star-Lord...given my past experience it may mean only body replacement. We'll see though.

Well, I wouldn't accept anything less than a full replacement. You're not trained/experienced/paid to dissect these things.

The more customers brush off these issues the more companies will expect that it's ok.

Well, I wouldn't accept anything less than a full replacement. You're not trained/experienced/paid to dissect these things.

The more customers brush off these issues the more companies will expect that it's ok.

No, I absolutely agree. I'm purely a collector. I don't dabble nor am I interested in modding, customizing my HTs.

So receiving a body replacement would be an inadequate solution. They tried in the past with a defective Captain America to ship only the body to me. Uhh....no. I don't wanna F up the outfit by trying to take it off. Hell, even the manual says not to remove the clothing. I'm a complete newb. No way I'm gonna attempt that and completely ruin the outfit.

Perhaps with the Star-Lord figure it might be easier to remove the clothing, but still. I would be worried I would mess that up.

Back