1/6 Hot Toys - MMS420 - GOTG Vol.2 - Star-Lord Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The black blemish on top of the ring of the neck is tolerable since once the headsculpt is on you won't see that at all, however the same can't be said for the red stains around the neck.

I own the Deluxe version and was one of the first on the boards here to sound the alarm on the paint stain from the jacket collar issue. I don't think it makes a difference what version you purchased. If they are all packaged with the collar hugging the neck then they all have the same chance of staining.

Way to go HT. Slow clap for your beautifully executed QC on this figure...

56d.gif

Careful folks - go back a few pages and you'll notice voicing concerns about easily avoidable QC issues as whining.

By that logic SSC could say their policy is applying paint thinner.

If you're unhappy return it. Let your wallet voice your concern for you.

Careful folks - go back a few pages and you'll notice voicing concerns about easily avoidable QC issues as whining.

By that logic SSC could say their policy is applying paint thinner.

If you're unhappy return it. Let your wallet voice your concern for you.

Well, ideally returning would be the last case scenario. I am actually awaiting on Sideshow's response, so we shall see...

Hopefully no loony requests. :pray:

I gave a few photos and they asked for more and a video. Then they suggested how to disassemble the figure but advised I would be responsible for any further damage. Then again anything really could be considered "further damage."

I'm with you- it should be perfect out of the box. Suggesting we have to delicately repair THEIR issues is absurd.

Speak with your wallet. Return/exchange.

I have been reading through these forums for the last several months, but this is my first time posting. I received Star Lord just before Christmas and I absolutely love him. I received mine with the same red staining issue on the neck as well. I have had him displayed for the past several weeks and was not going to do anything about it at first, but seeing all of the people with issues is making me think about contacting sideshow for a replacement body. My only fear is that the red coat would eventually stain the neck of the new body in the long run, so not sure it is worth the hassle.

f4G6GI4yLDoh31tlGa3JTAuuzGvjSO20oiaZ0DhGG-mGiKVIKkIG9qpSdstXeEWhiBUux4C9fIDAIuOxFLJ8=w1059-h923

I should note that it arrived this way on day one. The other side of the neck has extremely limited staining, definitely nothing I would complain about. The visible side of the neck is unfortunately pretty bad though. :(

I gave a few photos and they asked for more and a video. Then they suggested how to disassemble the figure but advised I would be responsible for any further damage. Then again anything really could be considered "further damage."

I'm with you- it should be perfect out of the box. Suggesting we have to delicately repair THEIR issues is absurd.

Speak with your wallet. Return/exchange.

I agree with you as well. At this price point, these QC flaws should never have happened to begin with. The mind-boggling part is HT is aware of the potential staining issue, yet they made no effort to avoid it. :cuckoo:

I am looking to hopefully get an exchange and not the type of exchange that involves me swapping out clothes and body parts...I'm not going through that trouble. If all else fails, then I will sadly have to return it (if that's even possible since the seller I bought from doesn't offer returns...)

I have been reading through these forums for the last several months, but this is my first time posting. I received Star Lord just before Christmas and I absolutely love him. I received mine with the same red staining issue on the neck as well. I have had him displayed for the past several weeks and was not going to do anything about it at first, but seeing all of the people with issues is making me think about contacting sideshow for a replacement body. My only fear is that the red coat would eventually stain the neck of the new body in the long run, so not sure it is worth the hassle.

f4G6GI4yLDoh31tlGa3JTAuuzGvjSO20oiaZ0DhGG-mGiKVIKkIG9qpSdstXeEWhiBUux4C9fIDAIuOxFLJ8=w1059-h923

I should note that it arrived this way on day one. The other side of the neck has extremely limited staining, definitely nothing I would complain about. The visible side of the neck is unfortunately pretty bad though. :(

You shouldn't let your enthusiasm for the figure blind you from what is clearly the manufacturer's error because if you do then that's settling and HT will believe they can get away with it and will only embolden them to continue to cut corners in their future productions.

Granted, if the stain really isn't an issue for you then by all means don't let some random stranger on the internet take that away from you. BUT at the very least you should voice your complaint to SS/HT. This is your hard earned money and this figure cost you a pretty penny, so I would say yes, it is absolutely worth the hassle...unless, of course, you are so wealthy that money like this isn't even a concern. But still, on principle, HT needs to be held responsible for their poor QC oversight.

As I mentioned in another post, even if you don't mind the stain, letting SS/HT know about the issue will only help other collectors in the community in the long run. So it's up to you. My recommendation is to let them know that you are affected by the paint stain issue as well.

I was briefly tempted to pick up this figure, but I don't have any Guardians and knew that if I got Star Lord I would be wanting the rest, so I passed. Still, it looks like an awesome figure so I like peaking at the thread to live vicariously through those who got it and wow: sorry to hear so many are having such QC issues. That stinks, but it got me wondering how this figure compares to others that might have QC issues. I have 35 Hot Toys figures and never had any real significant issues with any of them, but I am sure there must be some that I has broad issues like this one. So what are some of the worsts problems HT has had with a particular figure and how does Star Lord compare with those problems?

Sooo guys! Update on the red stain issue. The seller got back to me and told me that SS contacted HT about the issue because apparently it's widespread.

And HT's solution is....wait for it...!

81IxEbB6WgL._SY355_.jpg

He said that since the stain is a foreign agent it should remove the stain without removing the paint app on the neck itself. Also, don't rub hard, but do it lightly.

This isn't as outrageous as HDGuy84's hoops he had to jump through, but I still find it kind of a head cratcher. I don't have a Magic Eraser, so now I'm gonna have to go out and buy one just for this...HOWEVER if anyone does happen to own this and could give it a try first, let us know if it works or not.

HT, well done! :slap

Sooo guys! Update on the red stain issue. The seller got back to me and told me that SS contacted HT about the issue because apparently it's widespread.

81IxEbB6WgL._SY355_.jpg

He said that since the stain is a foreign agent it should remove the stain without removing the paint app on the neck itself. Also, don't rub hard, but do it lightly.

This isn't as outrageous as HDGuy84's hoops he had to jump through, but I still find it kind of a head cratcher. I don't have a Magic Eraser, so now I'm gonna have to go out and buy one just for this...HOWEVER if anyone does happen to own this and could give it a try first, let us know if it works or not.

Well, if it can wipe off without damaging the figure I would think that's good news though right?

Well, if it can wipe off without damaging the figure I would think that's good news though right?

Ideally, yes, however I just wrote back asking if I'm covered in the event the Magic Eraser ends up removing more than the red stain. I just wanna make sure I'm covered before I try something that could potentially cause more damage...

Sounds dodgy.

Do Mr Clean Magic Erasers work?

Melamine foam erasers work well; but on surfaces that are painted, polished or easily scratched, they might work a little too well.

Anything that works like sandpaper will not only rub the dirt from the surface, but with a soft surface that can be scratched, it will also damage the surface.

I had a red paint smudge on the forehead of my Joker figure and I was able to rub it off without any damage on the white underlayer of the make-up with a standard eraser (pencil eraser). Maybe that'll work.

81IxEbB6WgL._SY355_.jpg

Wow, that's kinda puzzling. I mean I like that HT might know that a Mr Clean eraser may work, but like you and others have said, buyers shouldn't have to fix HT's QC issues. But while I was driving home from work I was looking at cars, and started to realize how many things get released these days with widespread QC issues and how most companies suck butts at dealing with said QC issues. I'm not well off, so I can't afford tons of stuff so HT purchases for me are a big deal. I couldn't imagine spending 20k on a brand new car that has massive recall issues, or a grand on a new computer that has issues, or even a game console for $500 with issues (my launch day PS4 had a bad disc drive), but I've been lucky with my HT purchases. It's just a shame that HT's issue with this Star Lord all seems to come down to how it was packaged. Maybe they'll fix it before they ship their next round, but I just feel bad for everyone having issues, because this really shouldn't be happening.

That's absurd. You shouldn't have to fix their errors.

Two absurd things happened here:

1. SSC and HT passing the buck off on the consumers of very expensive items
2. Some members here agreeing with their methods for handling these issues

Ive tried to use the magic eraser on the underarm stains that happen to Avengers Hawkeye and it doesnt work. The body absorbs the paint so the eraser wont take it off

Wow, that's kinda puzzling. I mean I like that HT might know that a Mr Clean eraser may work, but like you and others have said, buyers shouldn't have to fix HT's QC issues. But while I was driving home from work I was looking at cars, and started to realize how many things get released these days with widespread QC issues and how most companies suck butts at dealing with said QC issues. I'm not well off, so I can't afford tons of stuff so HT purchases for me are a big deal. I couldn't imagine spending 20k on a brand new car that has massive recall issues, or a grand on a new computer that has issues, or even a game console for $500 with issues (my launch day PS4 had a bad disc drive), but I've been lucky with my HT purchases. It's just a shame that HT's issue with this Star Lord all seems to come down to how it was packaged. Maybe they'll fix it before they ship their next round, but I just feel bad for everyone having issues, because this really shouldn't be happening.

I agree with you. HT needs to be put on blast with this QC hiccup.

HT is aware the potential for fabrics to stain the skin based on their prior production of other figures, yet they released this one without any protection whatsoever. All they had to do was fit the collar with a strip of paper.

And now the official solution they offer is for the customer to go out and purchase something else to fix the problem (which isn't a guarantee by the way). What a big F U to your customers...

:gah:

Ive tried to use the magic eraser on the underarm stains that happen to Avengers Hawkeye and it doesnt work. The body absorbs the paint so the eraser wont take it off

So you tried this in the past or did you just try this now???

So you tried this in the past or did you just try this now???

Recently when I noticed the stains. I also collect 6in action figures and use erasures to take off paint blotches just be careful if you try it on a painted section as it removes paint and scratches if done too rough.

Back