Hot Toys - MMS185 - The Avengers: Iron Man MK VII Official Specs & Pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am just not liking the corner cutting HT did on this figure. Hopefully the BD version will be made better.

Agreed. I'm actually surprised since IM is their pride and joy. I had hoped this would be their best IM effort since this and the BD were going to be my only IM figs. Here's to hoping a better effort goes into the BD version but I'm not so sure they'll change too much in the design.

Corner cutting? Like what? They actually added stuff to the release compared to the prototype. You can say it's not as accurate as you'd like perhaps but it doesn't seem like they did any skimping on it at all.

If you can't see the corner cutting that was done based on the pics and review posted earlier then all I have to say is you should have no trouble enjoying your purchase.

Agreed. I'm actually surprised since IM is their pride and joy. I had hoped this would be their best IM effort since this and the BD were going to be my only IM figs. Here's to hoping a better effort goes into the BD version but I'm not so sure they'll change too much in the design.

You are probably right. :(

Is this going to be common practice for hot toys now in the sense of Human sculpts?. Having different neck pegs so they can't be used fresh out the box on one of THEIR OWN TT's?. First DX12 now the Mark VII what next the Garfield sculpt from ASM?.

The head really doesn't bother me if im honest, yes it has bigger eyes than normal but its still a great looking figure.

Why would that put the switch for the light up eyes inside the face plate?

it was moved inside the helmet because people where annoyed with the lack of proper neck articulation (AKA practically nothing) and the only way to increase the range of motion was to move it from the neck to the head. the old way (faceplate) with the magnets in the jaw and upper brow had its own share of issues. this helped eliminate the fitting issues caused by the old three magnet design

the BD will be the same thing. it is the exact same figure with a different paint job.

Is this going to be common practice for hot toys now in the sense of Human sculpts?. Having different neck pegs so they can't be used fresh out the box on one of THEIR OWN TT's?. First DX12 now the Mark VII what next the Garfield sculpt from ASM?.

pop the inverted plug out of the head and stick in a standard one to fit it to normal TT bodies

Last edited:

The head really doesn't bother me if im honest, yes it has bigger eyes than normal but its still a great looking figure.

Makes you wonder, I hope not. One of my favourite things with a new HT figure is bashing a 2nd figure with the extra head. I guess the neck could be reworked to fit a tt, but it's not a good enough likeness to bother.
I am happy with the suit however, it looks great on the shelf.

None of the previous Iron Man heads could be used with anything else. This one is probably the easiest to adapt from what I have seen.

Could you guys imagine/envision HT starting a new trend of chase parts, like if it ends up that that head with the Tony figure actually works with the Mark VII and looks good?

What an absurdly funny thought if HT did that on 250 dollar figures such as the build your own sentinel figure on the 6" Target rack figures at big box stores.:lol

Probably shouldn't advertise that too loudly for them.:rotfl

they should just include neck adapters with TT bodies or sell them individually.

including them with every figure isnt needed, not everyone is buying HT to kitbash, but people specifically buying TT's are

Yeah, I think that people who do ANY kitbashing or customization are in the minority of Hot Toys collectors.

I know way back when when they released a Stark suit set they included with it a neck that worked with the Mark III head.

Yeah, I think that people who do ANY kitbashing or customization are in the minority of Hot Toys collectors.

I know way back when when they released a Stark suit set they included with it a neck that worked with the Mark III head.

Not disagreeing with you, but I'd say most Batman fans have a bruce wayne bash and Tony is definitely up there as well for the number of headsculpts that have been offered.

T-800 and Bane customs are very popular. That advanced muscle body is really a good body to get. I use it for Bane and a PS T1 T-800. The Bane arms are great for a sleeveless thor too!

Probably more kitbashes than we think.

That seems to be the case if you frequent forums but it gives you a skewed perspective on things given that there's a much higher number of hobbyists on the forums than there are which actually buy the figures. There's what…*maybe a hundred people posting in this thread? A couple hundred maybe? And what percentage of those are kit bashing their own Stark figure. Then there's how many thousand of the Mark VII produced?

I don't think it's all that common and least in comparison to overall sales.

That seems to be the case if you frequent forums but it gives you a skewed perspective on things given that there's a much higher number of hobbyists on the forums than there are which actually buy the figures. There's what…*maybe a hundred people posting in this thread? A couple hundred maybe? And what percentage of those are kit bashing their own Stark figure. Then there's how many thousand of the Mark VII produced?

I don't think it's all that common and least in comparison to overall sales.

I would say if you polled this place as a relative sample greater than 25% of collectors would bash a bruce wayne or a Tony stark. 1 out of every 4 would not be anything to scoff at.

Obviously there is enough of a market that Hot Toys takes the time to create 3 distinct bodies and sells them through the channels. if it wasn't worth the money they wouldn't offer them and the 20 dollar knockoffs would rule the space. But Hot toys sells these bodies out, so there is pretty good demand.

I don't believe so. The shape of the sculpt is different. It's not just the magnets/tabs that are different.

Sucks. Oh well. I'm sure at the end of the day in hand, or across the room on the shelf, this figure looks great dispite the larger eyes and mouth. That black crack is on a one inch head after all.

I would say if you polled this place as a relative sample greater than 25% of collectors would bash a bruce wayne or a Tony stark. 1 out of every 4 would not be anything to scoff at.

That's what I was getting at. I don't think it's a representative sample at all. Not even close to it. I mean it's a hard thing to judge… but just look at how much product is aimed at out-of-the-box collectors vs kitbashers and customizers. I mean primary product, not small companies that re-sell boxed product in parts.

Hot Toys rarely makes no nude bodies compared to boxed figures. They "sell out" because they only make enough to meet demand, and there's minimal to no R&D and mold making cost since the bodies are being produced anyway for their boxed figures. And yet they still don't sell them all that often.

You could even take a poll of the forum members here and it would still be skewed give that the people who are most likely to click on and take part in a pole about kitbashing are people who kitbash.

Last edited:
That's what I was getting at. I don't think it's a representative sample at all. Not even close to it. I mean it's a hard thing to judge… but just look at how much product is aimed at out-of-the-box collectors vs kitbashers and customizers. I mean primary product, not small companies that re-sell boxed product in parts.

Hot Toys rarely makes no nude bodies compared to boxed figures. They "sell out" because they only make enough to meet demand, and there's minimal to no R&D and mold making cost since the bodies are being produced anyway for their boxed figures. And yet they still don't sell them all that often.

I am not posting to argue, but the amount of chinese sellers parting out figures, makes me think it's a big market of people doing customs.
I'm not saying the market is as high as the original sales of figures, but the customs part of this forum is pretty busy. And on OSW, it's even busier.

Hot Toys rarely makes no nude bodies compared to boxed figures. They "sell out" because they only make enough to meet demand, and there's minimal to no R&D cost since the bodies are being produced anyway for their boxed figures. And yet they still don't sell then all that often.

Yeah I'm not connecting with you on this. I would say this forum is more apt to show the behavior of a typical collector and how they would utilize the included portraits. I don't know where you would be able to find a more suitable population actually given the more globalized market other than Asia and since this is a English speaking board, they may not communicate as easily and not be properly accounted for on this forum. Hop on some Malaysian and Asian boards where HT is very prominant and you will see many more customs than here.

I also think you stating theres a large secondary market is even more proof of all these small companies making the suit clothes and the asmus toys have found there are many customizers out there and there is a larger market than you think.

Last edited:
Back