Hot Toys - MMS185 - The Avengers: Iron Man MK VII Official Specs & Pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys - MMS185 - The Avengers: Iron Man MK VII

Just make sure if you do, get a youtube of it. I'm sure everyone would love to see him fly out a window.....:panic:
:lol Have to find a $300 Hulk first
asmilieWhistle.gif

Just about hit checkout and realized there was an nrd. So I'm just going to wait a while to order it.

:offtopic: I'm still not convinced it should be more than the high $200's. There's not much to it. Bigger body but not much else. Truly, the only thing that justifies in HT minds to do that is the desire by the fans to have a Hulk. Not the figure itself.

That will be enough for HT to gouge on the price - be prepared to pay over $300.

No problem with the MK VII as I thought for sure it was going to be 250.

I thought that as well, but considering the AU Mark II was similar in quality and quantity of accessories and it was released just this last February at $210 SRP, that's a pretty sizable price increase. Based primarily on the desire of IM/Avengers fan to own this figure.

Well the Mark II AU as great as it is reuses some parts from previous releases which reduces cost significantly. There's a reason why toy companies for decades have reused molds as much as possible. They are really expensive.

Well the Mark II AU as great as it is reuses some parts from previous releases which reduces cost significantly. There's a reason why toy companies for decades have reused molds as much as possible. They are really expensive.

Molds do cost. I was in the back when I was a Sr. Admin for a ISP in SB, CA (95). In the front they made weed eater heads. I know the molds are not the same but those cost him over $100,000 per mold. There was 4 molds to make one head.

I do have to say they did not seem to wear out, he made them back in 1990 something and sold them in 2002. The machine to make them cost about 10 million, plus other items.

This one is kind of pricey, need to save up fast.. Hulk is on the way as well :panic:

Don't do it, buy it now. Take it from me, you will buy and hold off to use your points and blam! WL, and then the no dinner and a movie (I really need to let that go?).

On the other hand I did use over $130 in points on War Monger, and free shipping (they charged me for shipping on something when they where not too).

Molds do cost. I was in the back when I was a Sr. Admin for a ISP in SB, CA (95). In the front they made weed eater heads. I know the molds are not the same but those cost him over $100,000 per mold. There was 4 molds to make one head.

I do have to say they did not seem to wear out, he made them back in 1990 something and sold them in 2002. The machine to make them cost about 10 million, plus other items.

Yeah based on what Ashley Wood has said about running ThreeA it seems that toy molds are in the same neighborhood if not more. I do believe rubber and soft vinyl molds are significantly cheaper than injection molded plastic.

The Mark II AU also has an unarticulated torso which reduces the mold number from something like 10 or so to what looks like more in the neighborhood of 3 (excluding the flaps).

Yeah based on what Ashley Wood has said about running ThreeA it seems that toy molds are in the same neighborhood if not more. I do believe rubber and soft vinyl molds are significantly cheaper than injection molded plastic.

The Mark II AU also has an unarticulated torso which reduces the mold number from something like 10 or so to what looks like more in the neighborhood of 3 (excluding the flaps).

I know this is a little :offtopic: but it goes with the molds. There was 4 of them. Mon to Thursday they would make the heads. Fir/Saturday they would put them together.

Man I was just thinking about this and let's say it costs $500,000 to R&D, Manufacture, and Finish (paint etc) the run of Iron Man figures. That means that to break even they would need to sell 2000 units.

I'm sure they sell more than 2000 units but I'm also sure that it's costing them a lot more than $500,000. Based on what little layman's knowledge I have of the production process they could easily be spending a lot more than $500k on the tooling of molds alone.

Can't get over how great this fig looks. It's practically a DX minus PERS but the LED repulsors are better than PERS imo. My favorite of the bunch so far. Just need the high res pics now

Speaking of… if they're going to do the light up features I'd really like if just once they would do the feet too. I know it's possible as they did it on the Mech Test parts. None of the full figures though have had it.

Not quite. I think you'll find it's actually cheaper than you'd imagine.

Based on… why do you think that?

I'm basing it loosely on how much Ashley Wood co-owner of the 1/6 scale company ThreeA has said injection molds cost. He could very well be lying but I have also heard similar prices from other people in different industries that use the same process ala DrQ2 above. The Matty Collector people have also said similar things about the costs of molds. They might have even stated an exact number on cost. I'd have to look it up.

I fully admit that I don't have any sort of decent knowledge of production but if you're going to say I'm wrong straight out I'd like something to back it up other than just "I know".

I ran across this through some quick Googling, no clue how reliable it is but it seems to line up with everything else I have ever heard. Basically that injection molds cost hundreds of thousands of dollars each.

https://www.custompartnet.com/estimate/injection-molding/

I agree with DrQ2. If you want to buy something just pull off the bandaid and go for it. If you wait too long and try to save your points you could end up missing out on something really great.

This happened to him 3 weeks ago and he hasn't stopped taking about it since. I did however convince him to use the points to get the War Monger so he is happy about that.

Last edited:

I agree with DrQ2. If you want to buy something just pull off the bandaid and go for it. If you wait too long and try to save your points you could end up missing out on something really great.

You don't wanna regret it in the long run. I've done this :slap a couple times thinking about waiting.

Based on… why do you think that?

I'm basing it loosely on how much Ashley Wood co-owner of the 1/6 scale company ThreeA has said injection molds cost. He could very well be lying but I have also heard similar prices from other people in different industries that use the same process ala DrQ2 above. The Matty Collector people have also said similar things about the costs of molds. They might have even stated an exact number on cost. I'd have to look it up.

I fully admit that I don't have any sort of decent knowledge of production but if you're going to say I'm wrong straight out I'd like something to back it up other than just "I know".

I ran across this through some quick Googling, no clue how reliable it is but it seems to line up with everything else I have ever heard. Basically that injection molds cost hundreds of thousands of dollars each.

https://www.custompartnet.com/estimate/injection-molding/

Not saying it's cheap but $500,000 is a bit much. Mind you i'm basing my thoughts off of 3rd party Transformers figures production costs, not quite as high end as Hot Toys so it may well be that high, or more when you think about the outfits as well as you can't injection mold them, they have to be hand stitched meaning higher costs.

I retract my earlier statement. I can see why HT would prefer to milk the bigger licenses now as they can produce more units lowering the cost per unit making a bigger profit. No wonder smaller licenses get sidelined.

Not saying it's cheap but $500,000 is a bit much. Mind you i'm basing my thoughts off of 3rd party Transformers figures production costs, not quite as high end as Hot Toys so it may well be that high, or more when you think about the outfits as well as you can't injection mold them, they have to be hand stitched meaning higher costs.

I retract my earlier statement. I can see why HT would prefer to milk the bigger licenses now as they can produce more units lowering the cost per unit making a bigger profit. No wonder smaller licenses get sidelined.

Those third party transformers are actually a really good example of how much these things cost. A small figure like this can cost $100 easily and they have little to no paint, aren't nearly as complex as something like an Iron Man, and they're not paying any licensing fees.

I still maintain $500,000 is very very low. Just the molds alone for an Iron Man have to cost more than that. You also have to pay licensing, factory painters, and all the people doing the R&D to make the prototype. On top of the the Iron Man figures also have electronics which is just one more added cost.

Back