Hot Toys - MMS174 - The Avengers: 1/6th scale Captain America Offical Specs and Pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I say it like its reasonable, because it is

In your mind ok. It'll take a little while longer for you and some others to get the idea. HT's thanks you, meanwhile I'll thank gohastings or the right eBay auction where I stratigically save the 45 dollars you just spent... For the all the same stuff.

That's reasonable like a _____

I think it looks great and is a decent comparative value based on the current weak dollar. The second shield and unmasked head is really nice to have and I'm glad they included them even though it adds a little to the price.
I agree that he should come with an earth weapon but it's not hard to find an M4 Carbine or any other weapon he's likely to use in the movie. The alien weapon he does come with not so much. If it's one or the other I prefer it this way.
I agree with what seems like almost everyone that this figure does need a pistol grip hand. I really hope this is included in the release.
I ordered mine this afternoon using the board link. I think it's the cats whiskers and I'm looking forward to the figure almost as much as the movie.

this is exactly why we are paying HIGHER prices...it takes more Federal reserve notes to buy things

It only seems fair because HT has been incrementally raising costs. So a head sculpt and shield are worth $45? OK, that's subjective, and no opinion is illegitimate, but the nude True Type bodies have hand painted heads included and the whole shebang costs about $50. The cost of HT's figures across the board aren't equal to what they cost to produce. I wish I could find the link, but someone who apparently knew about it last year said these figures cost $30 or so to produce, and they charge us $200+. Fair is in the eye of the beholder, but make no mistake, we're paying much more than these things cost.

The Dark Knight Batman figures were $150ish a few years ago. Now, we can expect any given Batman figure to be $210-225 or so. That's around a 40% increase in the span of 3 or 4 years. HT is a business, so it is what it is, but that's more than the increase in oil costs, or license costs, or inflation, or whatever else you want to treat as the culprit. HT charges what we will pay. Considering the economy of scale they must have pumping out 5-10K of a given release like this, they could probably make a sizable profit selling them for half the cost.

How many of us would turn down money if it were there to be earned? We choose to buy. We may grumble but they have every right to charge what the market will bear and they are smart enough to know it won't last forever.

I think I'll just get it on clearance. The latest Hot Toys releases have been slow sellers, if you look at the for sale threads, you can find some amazing deals on Hot Toys figures, $120 for Odin, $170 for Indy and Sparrow, $150 for the Iron Man Mark V. This figure will be no exception.

I'm also a bit worried about permanent creasing of the fabric over the stomach if posed in a crouched position over a long period.

It only seems fair because HT has been incrementally raising costs. So a head sculpt and shield are worth $45? OK, that's subjective, and no opinion is illegitimate, but the nude True Type bodies have hand painted heads included and the whole shebang costs about $50. The cost of HT's figures across the board aren't equal to what they cost to produce. I wish I could find the link, but someone who apparently knew about it last year said these figures cost $30 or so to produce, and they charge us $200+. Fair is in the eye of the beholder, but make no mistake, we're paying much more than these things cost.

The Dark Knight Batman figures were $150ish a few years ago. Now, we can expect any given Batman figure to be $210-225 or so. That's around a 40% increase in the span of 3 or 4 years. HT is a business, so it is what it is, but that's more than the increase in oil costs, or license costs, or inflation, or whatever else you want to treat as the culprit. HT charges what we will pay. Considering the economy of scale they must have pumping out 5-10K of a given release like this, they could probably make a sizable profit selling them for half the cost.

That's nice, where's my Hulk. :lol

:nana:

How many of us would turn down money if it were there to be earned? We choose to buy. We may grumble but they have every right to charge what the market will bear and they are smart enough to know it won't last forever.

That's just it. I want to buy HT products forever. This is one company in this hobby I don't want going south but at this rate everbodys gonna keep paying whatever they're asking until they get out of acceptable range for all of us and HT says well there's no money in this anymore lets go help Sony make tv's.

A better question is How many of us would turn down this figure if it were 30 less? 40? 50?

But you would rather justify these figures until you say "215? ok.. 250? hmm... 285? damn!... 309?! to hell with that!" and tap out.

Hot Toys goes by the average a popular figure sells for on eBay and collector forums etc. They know the demand for the characters and they tested the waters with other figures like 1989 Batman/Iron Man by increasing the prices and it still sells. That's just my opinion idk hahaha, but it kind of sucks now days, even non license/KO figures are costing more and more. Sometimes I just want to quit but I keep coming back for more

HT charges what we will pay.

Yep. They may cost $30 to make, but they're only going to watch people paying $400-$1,000 for these on the aftermarket for so long before they realize they can claim a greater piece of that pie.

I'm also a bit worried about permanent creasing of the fabric over the stomach if posed in a crouched position over a long period.

When I think of iconic Cap poses "crouching" isn't really one that comes to mind. He ain't Spider-Man, you know. ;)

I'll say it again, I'll bet you dollarsto donuts that if you showed just that pic of the headsculpt to any one of your friends (without showing any costume pics that giveitaway)NO ONEwould say"oh, that's Chris Evans". Just sayin.

Who cares, I'm still picking this up! Good likeness I say, and I noticed HT started to do a better paint app on the eyes too!

Hot Toys goes by the average a popular figure sells for on eBay and collector forums etc. They know the demand for the characters and they tested the waters with other figures like 1989 Batman/Iron Man by increasing the prices and it still sells. That's just my opinion idk hahaha, but it kind of sucks now days, even non license/KO figures are costing more and more. Sometimes I just want to quit but I keep coming back for more

Eventually you will along with the rest of us. HT's is great at what they do most of the time and they should be concerned about making money and bringing more collectors to the hobby and not raping the collectors that are in it which will eventually drive them off.

Just got home from work and saw the price.
$215 is a lot for a non DX figure.
Glad I have the FA version.
I can assemble my Avengers with that version!

I just want to quit but I keep coming back for more

I have planned my exit already. Avengers, Iron Man and a couple Terminators and I'm out. Not interested in anything else. I MIGHT get Batman figures and their vehicles but that's it. They only thing I would buy after that would be Back to the Future 1/6 scale figures and vehicle and that's it!

Yeah right DFanatic.

"Avengers, Iron Man, and Terminators (which is like 20 figures right there) and then I'M OUT.

But then I'll get Batman figures and vehicles (another 10 figures plus a Batwing, Catcycle, Banemobile and five repaints of the Tumbler) and then NO MORE.

Until Marty, Doc, Future Marty, the Delorean, the train, the clock tower, etc., etc....." :lol

;)

Seeing as I don't buy these very often, I'm okay with the price tag on Avengers Captain America. So any ideas who's going to be next avenger to be revealed?

Back