Hot Toys - MMS174 - The Avengers: 1/6th scale Captain America Offical Specs and Pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
its not like Hot Toys are the only things going up in price...just go to the grocery store and see how man things you can buy for he price you paid a couple years ago

You can choose to believe that's what it is, sure, but can't you even consider that HT pricing is just a plain and simple matter of a company choosing to charge more because they believe people are willing to pay more?

So many people here seem utterly unable to even contemplate this idea, that perhaps the price is increased simply because HT have decided that people will still buy at the increased price. I don't know why some people here are so resistant to that idea. I guess maybe it's because if you accept that as the reason then you maybe feel like you're being taken for a sucker or something like that, it's makes you feel happier to believe it's out of HT's hands? If not that, some sort of bizarre parental love for HT where you can't believe they would try to charge you more than they need to?

I'm a big fan of hot toys and will continue to buy there stuff, I will also defend most of there prices as they do make the best stuff. Just did'nt expect this basic mms figure to end up so high in price even with the extra head. I figured it would be about the same as nick fury and hawkeye.

Its called capitalism folks. HT will continue to raise prices until no one buys or someone comes along and does it as well for less. They have the power to charge more, we have the power to say no.

It's called a Monopoly. But there are more new players wanting a piece of the collectible pie.

You can choose to believe that's what it is, sure, but can't you even consider that HT pricing is just a plain and simple matter of a company choosing to charge more because they believe people are willing to pay more?

So many people here seem utterly unable to even contemplate this idea, that perhaps the price is increased simply because HT have decided that people will still buy at the increased price. I don't know why some people here are so resistant to that idea. I guess maybe it's because if you accept that as the reason then you maybe feel like you're being taken for a sucker or something like that, it's makes you feel happier to believe it's out of HT's hands? If not that, some sort of bizarre parental love for HT where you can't believe they would try to charge you more than they need to?

I did consider that option. Then I looked at whats going on in the world and realized that Hot Toys is no different than just about all other companies out there.

Do you think the same thing when you go out and see potato chips at $4 for an 11oz bag when just a few years ago it was $1.50 for a 16oz bag? Or when Pepsi is $1.99 now but was selling for $.79a few years back?

I'm fully aware of what a dx is buttmunch, and i'm also aware of overpricing. this does not come with enough stuff to warrant that price, I realize it has and extra head but black spiderman comes with and extra head to and the base on that is hugh and its still less and just released today.

$5 isn't a lot less :lol

But you have to rememeber that prices are constantly going up. Black Spidey was solicited months ago. So $5 increase from then isn't bad. He was more or less a repaint with the new head and Sandman. Cap is all new. So there is more expense in the Cap R&D. :dunno

I do agree these are overpiced. But there just isn't anything we can do about that except stop buying them, but we are the only ones that miss out then.

The only thing that makes a DX is PERS. It doesn't mean it has to come with a ton of stuff or have a high price tag. People need to start realizing what DX really is :lol

Isn't DX short for Deluxe, which means bells and whistles and thus a larger price tag?

All it really means for Hot Toys is that the figure has PERS. Several figures come with more "bells and whistles" than DX figures but the DX can move their eyes once (and then break lol)

$5 isn't a lot less :lol

But you have to rememeber that prices are constantly going up. Black Spidey was solicited months ago. So $5 increase from then isn't bad. He was more or less a repaint with the new head and Sandman. Cap is all new. So there is more expense in the Cap R&D. :dunno

I do agree these are overpiced. But there just isn't anything we can do about that except stop buying them, but we are the only ones that miss out then.

I can't stop buying them now, I'm addicted:rotfl I don't know.... this figure was never a must buy for me to begin with so I'm not upset or anything just taken back on the price for this one, I have the first release and i'm happy with him. He is a very cool figure and maybe I'll pick him up with some reward points after his still in-stock at sideshow for year:)

Isn't DX short for Deluxe, which means bells and whistles and thus a larger price tag?

All it really means for Hot Toys is that the figure has PERS. Several figures come with more "bells and whistles" than DX figures but the DX can move their eyes once (and then break lol)

:lecture

Originally it was kinda meant to mean Deluxe since it was a redo of Joker and Batman. But its evolved into just meaning PERS. PERS = DX now. Nothing more. They can come loaded or slim.

Collecting Hot Toys is a very expensive hobby. If you can't afford it, that sucks, then you can't afford it. Why bash every figure you can't afford? Why bash the company that makes the toys, that you eventually buy anyway?

I always get bashed for saying this, but this is suppose to be fun. A hobby. Why post negative crap all day long on every thread possible? Especially Knowing you are probably going to buy them anyway.

None of us truely know why HT prices have gone up. ( State of the economy, oil prices, R & D, Licences or pure greed )

If you like what they make, and you can afford to get then, GREAT! If you don't like the way they day business, buy from other companies.

Like several others have said, for what licenses HT makes, they are one of, if not the best out there.

That is simply my stupid opinion!:wave

With all that said, Cap is pre-ordered for me already. Who is next?

I did consider that option. Then I looked at whats going on in the world and realized that Hot Toys is no different than just about all other companies out there.

Do you think the same thing when you go out and see potato chips at $4 for an 11oz bag when just a few years ago it was $1.50 for a 16oz bag? Or when Pepsi is $1.99 now but was selling for $.79a few years back?

The value of the dollar changes, things change and adjust, but to think there was some sort of change in the world that required Hot Toys to increase their prices to the huge degree they have, that it's got nothing to do with a desire to increase profits, is I think absolute foolishness, I can't agree with that. That point though is a difficult thing to prove, maybe you're right or maybe you're wrong, and so on that I think we should just agree to disagree.

Collecting Hot Toys is a very expensive hobby. If you can't afford it, that sucks, then you can't afford it. Why bash every figure you can't afford? Why bash the company that makes the toys, that you eventually buy anyway?

It's not about whether one can afford something or not, it's that there comes a point where you're overpaying, when people feel it's not worth it, that they're being overcharged. A person can have the money to buy this figure 1,000 times and still feel it's overpriced, it's got nothing to do with being able to afford it or not. I think that's all people are talking about. It's just a discussion.

Last edited:
Why do people insist on calling it greed? Its profit. If a company takes the very best talent, produces the very best product in a given field, don't they deserve what they feel their effort is worth? One thing is for sure, and that is that they are selling more than ever and making more than ever or else the prices would have dropped by now. This is a success story, and I'm happy to have the best in the business produce these.

I just wish I could afford them.

Just adding my two cents here....

I think the figure looks amazing. I really like the unmasked head sculpt.

Having said that, the price for me is a pass. I simply have to be more selective is all. Great figure though.

Exactly. There is a simple solution. If you dont like the price, dont buy. That is the only thing the company hears. They dont care if you complain on a message board about the price if their pockets are still filling up.

I don't mean to keep on this, but the price of a Pepsi or bag of chips hasn't gone up 40% in 4 years like HT figures have. The price of gas for your car is a bad analogy, because it is so prone to fluctuate due to political, economic, and military conflict-related factors happening in various parts of the world, among other factors. It goes up, it goes down, governments subsidize it, strike deals to keep it low, tax it, etc. That ain't the case with HT figures :lol

Back