Hot toys MMS - Iron Man MK. 33 Silver Centurion

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys Iron Man Mark 33

You tell people who don't have enough money to pay an NRD to find another hobby, yet you can't afford to buy your DC collection without scalping because you can't afford it.
Which is it? Should people who can't afford to buy these figures all by themselves get out of the hobby or not?

Sounds like you can't afford this hobby without scalping, yet you chastise those who can't afford an NRD right away. That's hypocritical.

Not able to pay $25 for something you love is just downright the BEST example as to why said people shouldn't collect high end figures. They just shouldn't. It would just create more problems they don't need in their lives.
You say buying a figure, that is widely available for pre order right now with just a $25 deposit down, and was (wo a deposit) at BBTS -those are just TWO stores of the many- and then resell it to someone that couldn't, for some reason preorder, is just like selling drugs? How? How is it even the same? Can you overdose on Iron Man? Well, with some of the behavior some IM fans were basically begging me to cancel my ebay transaction and just sell it to them, it somewhat does not surprise me.
And what makes you think I don't have the money to buy my figures w/o selling others? It helps, sure. But I could do without it, and VERY well at that.
But if there's people that offer three figures, and in some cases two, PLUS cash, for a $250 figure that at one point was WIDELY available for preorder, hey, I'm all for that. Not my fault.

Ordered mine from Sideshow to get the exclusive! I wish the Heartbreaker was coming out later, too. But I'm just going to have to order that one on the fly if I can. I wasn't going to let this one slip away.

Not able to pay $25 for something you love is just downright the BEST example as to why said people shouldn't collect high end figures. They just shouldn't. It would just create more problems they don't need in their lives.
You say buying a figure, that is widely available for pre order right now with just a $25 deposit down, and was (wo a deposit) at BBTS -those are just TWO stores of the many- and then resell it to someone that couldn't, for some reason preorder, is just like selling drugs? How? How is it even the same? Can you overdose on Iron Man? Well, with some of the behavior some IM fans were basically begging me to cancel my ebay transaction and just sell it to them, it somewhat does not surprise me.
And what makes you think I don't have the money to buy my figures w/o selling others? It helps, sure. But I could do without it, and VERY well at that.
But if there's people that offer three figures, and in some cases two, PLUS cash, for a $250 figure that at one point was WIDELY available for preorder, hey, I'm all for that. Not my fault.

:exactly: i agree

Emmmm... Ever heard of the stock market?? If people want to gamble on figures , let them! So what...??? And if people miss out because of it.....tough, somebody HAS to miss out. Hot toys isn't going to make BD MkIII's indefinitely just so no one ever gets left out :cuckoo:

I make it a habit of only buying figures and statues I like. I didnt always and made both good and bad decisions. I learnt a lot from that.

Now, If at some point I want to sell for an inflated value, good for me. If they will sell for a loss I will take the hit or just keep them and enjoy them because that's initially why I bought them.

Also for all the so called 'Robin Hoods of the collecting world' , don't be so quick to judge people . I sold some figures for more than they cost me and put a lot of the money towards something dear to me. A ,lot of it also went on buying more figures, but hey, ho.

If any of you needed a lot of cash for something which meant a lot to you, you would take advantage of the situation also.

I knew your alias was familiar to me. You're a Legionnaire, and being in Legion, you were ironically acquainted with my Robin Hood, though you may not have known his name. As such, I do not hold it against you that you do not see how your little-bit-of-both example makes you nothing like him; your interpretation is tantamount to Robin Hood stealing from the king's tax collectors and then using a portion of that money to buy some fluffy, new fabrics for himself. That's not how it works. Furthermore, the importance of my Robin Hood's anecdote was to say that the act of scalping affected him emotionally. There is something to be said about performing an ill deed and carrying the weight with you versus performing an ill deed and either not seeing it as ill or simply not caring about the receiving end of the act. This is an important point to make, for I fully understand how seductive scalping can be. I have been able to refrain from engaging in scalping, but with so many enticing products being produced at an ever-increasing rate, it demands a certain distance from the playing field -- a panoramic surveyorship -- to maintain a sense of relative perspective with which to uphold the aversion. People matter more than items, even when those people are sometimes too close to their desires to stand back and observe the wagers they're making. Even strangers matter. Do I still get emo over figures I miss? Totally. Do I scalp to afford figures and prevent my being emo in the future? No.

You make a good point about the personal values we assign to collectibles changing over time; what was initially a must-have item for your shelf may now look expendable to you. And the fact that someone else out there still views it as the must-have item it once was only encourages your inclination toward serving it up on Ebay or BST threads. We all have a Woody the Cowboy doll in some form or another. In other words, not all scalpers purchase collectibles with the intent to scalp. But as is the case in all of life, it is where things end up that informs the future, not where they began. A shift in sentimentality does not play your hand when it comes to scalping -- the seduction of getting a good deal at the expense of another person's hard work does.

Finally, this comparison to stock markets doesn't really apply because there is never a true base-line value for anything being traded. Even when an IP goes public, it's a nebulous affair, as evidenced by Facebook's notorious debut. Investors trade in intangibles, in projected public opinions on earnings, product revelations, mergers, and the like. We're not even talking about the actual earnings, products, or mergers -- we're talking about what those things mean for public morale toward a said company on the global stage. The value of your shares in the company drops or increases based on shifting opinion. Hot Toys products have stagnant retail prices from the time the go on sale to the time they sell out. This solidifies the figures' monetary values, and any price adjustments are artifice. Stock values can never be solidified because they were amorphous and artificial to begin with. Yes, stock traders and toy scalpers both make money off of revaluation, but a scalper contrives values to take advantage of buyers -- one cannot manipulate stock markets (legally) to better serve profiteering agendas; if you profited off of selling your shares of a company, it's because the circumstances surrounding your company's perceived value allowed you to do so. One can only buy shares and see what happens; the only sense of agency you have in the matter is the selection process you employ when choosing what companies to purchase shares of. When you pay a stockholder for shares, you're entering into a gambling game, essentially paying to get tagged in. When you pay a scalper for a figure, you're done -- the product was your destination. Collectors shouldn't have to be cheated to get to their finish lines.

Wasted on me? I don't think so.
HT just made 750$ out of me in a day. Define waste.
Am I not "deserving" of a toy? Lol.
Brother, I just got THREE. And I'm
Just eyeing that Heartbreaker that is sure to sell out too.
I'll contact SS to see if they find me deserving of one. Or 6.

"Waste:" to ignore the intended merits of something.

Hot Toys produces figures so that people can relive beloved stories through physical manifestation of the characters that experienced those stories on the silver screen. Sure, Hot Toys likes making money off of their products, but if they didn't care about them and the effects they have on their owners, then you can be sure that the figures would look a whole lot worse than they do. If all you see is the monetary potential that each figure holds, then yes, the toys are wasted on you and they deserve a better home, one in which they're appreciated for the happiness they inspire.

"Waste:" to ignore the intended merits of something.

Hot Toys produces figures so that people can relive beloved stories through physical manifestation of the characters that experienced those stories on the silver screen. Sure, Hot Toys likes making money off of their products, but if they didn't care about them and the effects they have on their owners, then you can be sure that the figures would look a whole lot worse than they do. If all you see is the monetary potential that each figure holds, then yes, the toys are wasted on you and they deserve a better home, one in which they're appreciated for the happiness they inspire.

They are figures. Not pets.
Wrong thread.

1070113_10151514312832344_656963363_n.jpg

1013563_10151514312757344_138037609_n.jpg

616_10151514313162344_839200737_n.jpg

A lot of really sad nerds in here who are being mean to another collector because he decided to order more than they can? The figure is still up for pre-order, its not like he broke your legs and pushed you down in the street to grab the last Mark 33 at your local Toys R Us. Get over it.

A lot of really sad nerds in here who are being mean to another collector because he decided to order more than they can? The figure is still up for pre-order, its not like he broke your legs and pushed you down in the street to grab the last Mark 33 at your local Toys R Us. Get over it.

That's not what the discussion was about.

The figure is still up for pre-order, its not like he broke your legs and pushed you down in the street to grab the last Mark 33 at your local Toys R Us. Get over it.

Nicely said. I have no problem with someone buying two or three or a dozen of something so readily available globally. I do however, dislike someone going into a local brick and mortar store and clearing the shelves of hard to find figures consistently.

Now, back to the mk. XXXIII. Does anyone else wish that some of the battle damage on these 'House Party Protocol' armours had some of the red/orange glow/melted effect from a hit or two from and Extremis soldier? I'd love to see this chest piece be dripping some molten slag instead of the standard battle damage!

Last edited:

a HUGE share of the iron man market is in hong kong and the surrounding asian countries. IM seems to have a following there who are out of control in the money they spend. overseas ticket sales are a big reason the movies are as successful as they are. in america we get bored quickly. seems the people in HK can't get enough IM! i for one will buy every IM figure that comes out. he was my favorite character as a kid and is as a big kid too. :rock

Yeah same here LOVED/LOVE Iron man, Personally im not going to buy every version (as hard as it is) only because I collect a ton of other lines and scales

And Femtech, I see where youre coming from and it can be very frustrating but being in the hobby or better, coming into the hobby, you are going to loose out on whatever is hot at that time, but patience and persistence deals are a plenty and new collectors or those who missed out just need to get in the groove of things (like jumping on pre orders for things they want). I could see being angry if this piece sold out day one and someone was bragging about ordering multiples and selling them for insane prices, that would be a **** move for sure, but its still available, and wont be out for a year or more, and in that time maybe a cooler IM comes out and that person eats these, so in summary, If you really need this piece, buy it, its available :peace

I have to chime in on this, If you call someone the "scum of the earth" or "worse than a drug dealer" That's more than a little extreme.... In the event that you intend to sell something that you bought for personal enjoyment, Do you charge exactly what you paid for it even if it's worth 3X that? Because that's the same thing in my eyes.... If he buys 2 or more there is some risk that it won't be worth more (not a lot of risk, but some)...

I have been on both sides of this I have overpaid for something I missed out on and I have bought things for the sole purpose of selling for profit..... The last thing I did that with I doubled my money and purchased my mother a new living room set... I'll be sure to tell her what an A-hole I am for that tomorrow lol

In your mind is the scalper like the Grinch who stole Christmas and hordes all the money for himself? Because in my mind they have a wife and kids and they provide them with a better life.

These toys are not a need no matter how much you could have enjoyed them.... If you miss one you'll be okay, If you over pay then it's worth that much to you.

Back