Hot Toys MMS Iron Man Mark XXI-MIDAS - Link for waitlist in opening post

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:exactly:

I felt very lucky, my War Machine Ex and this converted in the same day and the fact that this one is more than the metal War machine seems very odd. Guess you gotta pay to get the "gold" :lol

Yeah...and the die cast Mark XLII is all of $10 more, AND comes with a face sculpt. Maybe they imbued the gold paint with actual 24k gold and didn't tell us about it. To be honest if the figure either came with a face sculpt or was $200 I would be super happy with it. Really love the coloring. But $300+ the wonderful California tax...hard to decide.

This.
And not to beat a dead horse but $300 for a figure (or $430 on ebay) is a lot when you're not even getting a face sculpt or light up base. It's an awesome looking paint job but I'm seriously considering returning mine just because I'm having trouble justifying the cost/value ratio (plus I'm not a huge Iron man fan). For $300 hot toys was selling the Dx07 Luke with two head sculpts, two complete bodies and two stands, one of which is a crazy huge light up die cast stand.

:lecture. What he said! I really wanted this at first but glad i didnt pull the trigger. Id rather spend it on Man of Steel! Still a sweet figure though...:wave

This.
And not to beat a dead horse but $300 for a figure (or $430 on ebay) is a lot when you're not even getting a face sculpt or light up base. It's an awesome looking paint job but I'm seriously considering returning mine just because I'm having trouble justifying the cost/value ratio (plus I'm not a huge Iron man fan). For $300 hot toys was selling the Dx07 Luke with two head sculpts, two complete bodies and two stands, one of which is a crazy huge light up die cast stand.

Well, that's MSRP. This is secondary market for a limited figure.

You can't compare the value that Hot Toys is selling a DX figure with more features (That isn't even in the same line and I'd say SW isn't as hot as Iron Man right now) to a secondary market value for a limited item of a wanted piece.
Big difference haha.
This piece was $220 at MSRP. The going market rate for what people will pay to have one isn't the same as what you think it should be.

If it's not worth it to you that's another matter.

Last edited:

You can't compare the value that Hot Toys is selling a DX figure with more features (That isn't even in the same line and I'd say SW isn't as hot as Iron Man right now) to a secondary market value for a limited item of a wanted piece.
Big difference haha.
This piece was $220 at MSRP. The going market rate for what people will pay to have one isn't the same as what you think it should be.

Midas was $300 retail.... I dont know what youre confusing here but youre wrong :lol

And you definitely can compare the 2. Its not license dependent, the same amount of work goes into them (a little less on a recasted/repainted figure with no human headsculpt)

He wasn't for me. Haha. But yeah I guess it was $299 at sideshow.
Either way the point stands.

:lecture. What he said! I really wanted this at first but glad i didnt pull the trigger. Id rather spend it on Man of Steel! Still a sweet figure though...:wave

I dropped the Man of Steel to get this (Looks good but I was not overly impressed with the film and I already have a Reeve Supes). If you are not a huge IM fan I can understand having a hard time justifying the price (i do agree it was overpriced), for an IM nut like me it was an easy decision.

He wasn't for me. Haha. But yeah I guess it was $299 at sideshow.
Either way the point stands.

K well if for some reason we cant compare different licenses just look at the iron man license it self. Mk7 is a great comparison, but an even better one is Heart breaker. $250 retail and is basically the same load out accessory wise (minus the shoulders and forearm rockets). Problem is HB is an entirely new sculpt/mold where as midas is a remold (done twice before) yet asks $50 more....

Is the Midas head removeable? Haven't taken mine out of the box, but was thinking of picking up a separate tony stark head sculpt, since this would be my one and only iron man

Big difference haha.

For $220 I'd keep this no questions asked haha. But yeah on sideshow retail was $330 including tax and shipping

K well if for some reason we cant compare different licenses just look at the iron man license it self. Mk7 is a great comparison, but an even better one is Heart breaker. $250 retail and is basically the same load out accessory wise (minus the shoulders and forearm rockets). Problem is HB is an entirely new sculpt/mold where as midas is a remold (done twice before) yet asks $50 more....

They will make 3x or 5x as many of Heart Breaker.
Scarcity is a thing.
I thought that was obvious haha.
If you don't want to complete the line or having something that other people do not have doesn't appeal to you... don't get it.

Who knows, in a few years it could be worth some crazy amount and $300 would be a steal. haha.
I understand that it has less accessories and all that, but that's not why it's expensive.

Last edited:
Is the Midas head removeable? Haven't taken mine out of the box, but was thinking of picking up a separate tony stark head sculpt, since this would be my one and only iron man

Yeah it is, same as the mk7, though we dont get a collar piece with this one so it may look weird

They will make 3x or 5x as many of Heart Breaker.
Scarcity is a thing.
I thought that was obvious haha.

I argue that very much, theres more than 5000 of Midas, exactly how many I dont know for sure, but there will be less Heartbreakers than say the mk 42 , IP, mk7 mk4 and 6

Yep.
Pops off just like the MKVII.

E2CD1C58-BE2A-4CAD-992B-D8E4BE39AA47.jpg

0D12C9BE-E95D-43C1-A7D1-6A979592E472.jpg

387B0067-F9ED-4541-8F48-C2DE847AFCE6.jpg

4C80EFAB-DDD3-4CDA-AA66-70D5C3B0C9D0.jpg

AAB8C04B-041A-4FA5-915C-DCE60D0AAA41.jpg

A95DAE26-0A0C-48C2-95F7-D7313103556E.jpg

C2FD7CA8-D2E6-46B1-9BC0-DE5E07E8E5C0.jpg

Heartbreaker will also be made somewhat to order, since it is offered to retailers who can preorder as many as they like basically. Midas was not offered to retailers, which absolutely limits the availability compared to a general release like mk7 or heartbreaker.

I kinda wanted this one too. But I didn't either and after seeing the MoS, I'm soooooo glad I didn't! That Superman is SWEET!!! :rock

I kinda wanted this one too. But I didn't either and after seeing the MoS, I'm soooooo glad I didn't! That Superman is SWEET!!! :rock

For some reason I'm a bit disappointed by the headsculpt. The promo photos looked like they were straight from the movie poster, but these new ones don't quite look as much like Cavill to me. Still a really nice figure tho

I don't care that Sean is overly positive so much as it bothers me that he is an inarticulate spazz.

You've completely missed the point on Sean Long.

A) He's smarter than he appears, a lot of what you see is his "schtick". If you listen to him, he's actually witty.

B) He doesn't review as much as he does promote. He drives interest in Hot Toys, has fun, and gives the figures a thorough going over.

C) He's always been blatant marketer and has never tried to be anything else, his sole intent is to help drive the sales of these figures (and it works) and make money while doing it.

D) There is zero wrong with what he's doing. and the dude is downright hilarious. There is something hilarious in listening to a dude do a toy review while actually playing with his "Dollies" and doing their voices. I'm sorry, he gets into it way to much for that to be fake. That to me is frick'n worth the price of admission.

All of us want to do what he does but simply can't let go that much to outright play with our figures. LOL

Back