1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 279 - Star Wars Episode IV: 1/6th scale Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m not too sure if the backdrop came with figures that weren’t preordered. I seem to remember someone saying they do come with it, but I’m not sure. If it does, it’s placed in the box behind the figure. Hope yours comes with it!

Hey bro, yup the backdrop did come with the RO Vader! A pity is card board but still look nice nonetheless!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So... how much different is this one in comparison to the Tarkin two pack Vader? I know the gloves are different.

2Ii5RK2.gif

I haven't seen any side by side pics, but this new Tarkin ANH Vader is an amalgamation of all 3 Vader's (1st ANH, RO, and upcoming ESB). There's problems with each.... If you want a truly accurate ANH Vader, you'd have to buy all 3 and piece them together. I'm still happiest with my original HT ANH Vader. The only flaw I find with it is the hands, but they really don't seem to bother me anymore like they did at first. I' really want the ESB one too, but don't know if I need that and the eventual ROTJ version...

So... how much different is this one in comparison to the Tarkin two pack Vader? I know the gloves are different.

Since promo photos don't end up telling the whole story, shots of the production figure are the most useful. These two shots are in-hand ones from an eBay listing of the Tarkin 2-Pack Vader. I think the helmet is the same sculpt (w/ same nose plug issue), but seems to have much more weathering added. There's also weathering added to the belt (both the boxes and the buckle). The chest box is bigger on the new one, and the things that look like coin slots are narrower on it. Silver studs/dots have been added to the chest box straps and the belt. I can't tell if the inner robe still has a wire in it. The promo photos seem to suggest that the boots are shinier than this first one. And, yeah, the gloves are different (with easier access to the on/off switch on the glove holding the light-up lightsaber). As has been mentioned, it's essentially a combo of parts from this first Vader and the Rogue One Vader.

VaderTarkin01.jpg

VaderTarkin02.jpg

That close up of the mask confirms they once again failed to paint the eye sockets black. Makes him look surprised.

The weathering looks pretty nice.

Since promo photos don't end up telling the whole story, shots of the production figure are the most useful. These two shots are in-hand ones from an eBay listing of the Tarkin 2-Pack Vader. I think the helmet is the same sculpt (w/ same nose plug issue), but seems to have much more weathering added. There's also weathering added to the belt (both the boxes and the buckle). The chest box is bigger on the new one, and the things that look like coin slots are narrower on it. Silver studs/dots have been added to the chest box straps and the belt. I can't tell if the inner robe still has a wire in it. The promo photos seem to suggest that the boots are shinier than this first one. And, yeah, the gloves are different (with easier access to the on/off switch on the glove holding the light-up lightsaber). As has been mentioned, it's essentially a combo of parts from this first Vader and the Rogue One Vader.

View attachment 389895

View attachment 389896

Ok, but which is more accurate to the real ANH Vader show in the movie?

This new Tarkin 2pk Vader comes with the wrong lightsaber (wrong grips and should not have the wires) and the belt should not have the silver dot on it. Both of those seem to be from the upcoming ESB version. It does however have the weathering on the belt buckle and the belt light boxes that are more screen accurate and was missing on the 1st ANH version. Both of which are from the RO version. The chest box is more the proper size, which is the RO version, but the slots are too small and more accurate on the ANH version. And of course the new hands/gloves from the RO version which look better without the separate flap/hand sculpts from the 1st ANH version. Also the shoulder bells on the Tarkin version are all black which is wrong. The 1st ANH version they are correct as grey and black.

Not sure if I've missed anything.....

So, you must choose which errors are less of an annoyance to yourself.

Or buy the new one, and look for loose parts on ebay from the ANH version to fix this one. Problem would be you can't replace the lightsaber from the lite up arm, as it's not removeable, and if you buy the ANH lite up arm it has the different hand and flap that won't match the other hand.

I think that covers it all as to what's right or wrong, versus what looks better..

This new Tarkin 2pk Vader comes with the wrong lightsaber (wrong grips and should not have the wires) and the belt should not have the silver dot on it. Both of those seem to be from the upcoming ESB version. It does however have the weathering on the belt buckle and the belt light boxes that are more screen accurate and was missing on the 1st ANH version. Both of which are from the RO version. The chest box is more the proper size, which is the RO version, but the slots are too small and more accurate on the ANH version. And of course the new hands/gloves from the RO version which look better without the separate flap/hand sculpts from the 1st ANH version. Also the shoulder bells on the Tarkin version are all black which is wrong. The 1st ANH version they are correct as grey and black.

Not sure if I've missed anything.....

So, you must choose which errors are less of an annoyance to yourself.

Or buy the new one, and look for loose parts on ebay from the ANH version to fix this one. Problem would be you can't replace the lightsaber from the lite up arm, as it's not removeable, and if you buy the ANH lite up arm it has the different hand and flap that won't match the other hand.

I think that covers it all as to what's right or wrong, versus what looks better..

Yep, loki2371 summed it up really well. None of the Hot Toys Vaders are without inaccuracies, so it just comes down to which looks better to you. What I'm posting below is a collage of images depicting the Vader costume from A New Hope. If you want a 1/6 Vader to match up with it as much as possible, you'll need to do some customizing. For example, no matter which chest/shoulder armor you end up with, the paint color and scheme will need some work. If you wanted to put together a Vader from parts, by buying them individually, you would end up with less total inaccuracies - but it takes more time (and can take more money) than just settling for one of the HT versions.

VaderANH01.jpg

One thing I'd like to see Hot Toys try doing in the future is scaling back on the bulkiness of the body. If you build a 1/6 body to match David Prowse's body type, the costumed figure ends up looking a bit too thick/bulky. The ridges in the fabric have to be made by quilting two pieces over one another. That creates a fairly thick suit (maybe not as thick as the full-scale suit, but still pretty thick on the 1/6 level). On a full-scale Vader, the suit doesn't add as much girth to his frame as it does to a 1/6 body. In hand, my ANH Vader seems too wide/bulky; especially, next to the other figures. Maybe it's just me, though. I've been putting the various Vader costume pieces on slimmer bodies, and I prefer the way it ends up looking.

I thought people wanted the lenses amber colored? Now black?

He's talking about the 'eyelid' area. Its black. The lenses are amber

Update: oops its covered. Not gonna lie: Its annoying how Hot Toys does these improvements on figures like this one yet ignore other important ones! Have you seen their far superior solution to the electronic arms with proper gloves?

Here is a pic:

arm.jpg

Yet the nose plug is wrong, and the eye lid area is wrong. Like, DUDE!!!!!

Kinda frustrated. LOL

Last edited:
He's talking about the 'eyelid' area. Its black. The lenses are amber

Update: oops its covered. Not gonna lie: Its annoying how Hot Toys does these improvements on figures like this one yet ignore other important ones! Have you seen their far superior solution to the electronic arms with proper gloves?

Here is a pic:

View attachment 389945

Yet the nose plug is wrong, and the eye lid area is wrong. Like, DUDE!!!!!

Kinda frustrated. LOL

Yeah, I saw that on ebay too... yet how the hell did they mess up the lightsaber?? Why in the world, after having the correct hilt with the 1st ANH Vader, would they change this to the ESB hilt?? One step forward, one step back.. :slap

I know it’s been covered, but for those who don’t know what I mean when I say the eye sockets should be black, I don’t mean the lenses. I mean the parts I squiggled in red below.

It seems like a small inaccuracy but it makes a HUGE difference in how menacing his face looks.

dNBnEFN.jpg

Yeah, I saw that on ebay too... yet how the hell did they mess up the lightsaber?? Why in the world, after having the correct hilt with the 1st ANH Vader, would they change this to the ESB hilt?? One step forward, one step back.. :slap

I didn't even notice that...................how much you want to place bets that is the same arm coming with their ESB version? just different glove

I know it’s been covered, but for those who don’t know what I mean when I say the eye sockets should be black, I don’t mean the lenses. I mean the parts I squiggled in red below.

It seems like a small inaccuracy but it makes a HUGE difference in how menacing his face looks.

Thanks for that. I'd go so far as to say its more important than the nose plug mod - in terms of overall look

Hi guys I wanted to ask as my anh Vader helmet fell and broke the mouth piece if the headsculpts are the same in this version or if it is more acurrate or not
Just the helmet
Thanks

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

I bought the RO version in order to have the better gloves, but never opened it. I suppose I can now sell it since this new Vader/Tarkin 2-pack has the modified gloves as well.

Can anyone think of any other reason I would want to hold on to the RO version? My goal is to have a solid ANH Vader, and aside from the gloves, my main concern is the look of the helmet and mask.

The R1 helmet is the same sculpt, even has the corrected black versus silver painted area for contrast - but its super shiny. and if you do the lense mod, the lenses are a more reddish hue. I prefer the gloves, the belt boxes and belt on the r1. Base body is ok, and they did improve on the body suit, imo. So the R1 has its pros and cons.

Here is a pic of my (done for now) ANH Vader helmet. I am a terrible photographer

DSCN0012.jpg

All this talk of eyebrows inspired me to paint them black. But when it dries, still looks like a dull gunmetal to me. May have to do another coat of black.

AND for any new members here, this is what the lenses look like, with something behind them to reflect their true color. I used shiny silver origami paper. Some others prefer the metallic stick-on chrome paper, used on car models. But for myself, the silver origami paper makes the amber color 'pop' more to me.

Last edited:
Back