1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 279 - Star Wars Episode IV: 1/6th scale Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The R1 helmet is the same sculpt, even has the corrected black versus silver painted area for contrast - but its super shiny. and if you do the lense mod, the lenses are a more reddish hue. I prefer the gloves, the belt boxes and belt on the r1. Base body is ok, and they did improve on the body suit, imo. So the R1 has its pros and cons.

Here is a pic of my (done for now) ANH Vader helmet. I am a terrible photographer

[...]

That looks great! You must have done a fair bit of modding? That can't be stock paint...?
Spoiler Spoiler:

That looks great! You must have done a fair bit of modding? That can't be stock paint...?
Spoiler Spoiler:

Thanks. More than you might think. I did dry brush some of the areas silver on the mask. But mostly, I use dull coat. To me, the mask looked worn and dull...lol.....the one thing I am not in love with: my nose mod. Think it should go in a tad deeper but I am not messing with that one again!!!

Like a lot of others, used this guide:

vader.jpg

One other thing I forgot about the Rogue One Vader: boots. Far superior on that one than the original ANH release. So for my vader:

Original base body
original Body suit
original Chest box (close enough for me)
Chest armor is great on both, but I use the original
R1 boots
R1 belt and belt boxes
R1 gloves without question, those in my current pose, using the original 'gloves'

Had the most fun ever modding this guy. I am very tempted on parts for the Tarkin Vader

I painted the eyebrows on my vader it makes it look even better. maybe that`s why I never like the hot toys vader mask maybe that was the reason why made his eyes looked like he got a surprised looking on his face.

I’m actually more disturbed by the sliver lining around his nostrils; my rouge one show misalignment when I shone light on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m actually more disturbed by the sliver lining around his nostrils; my rouge one show misalignment when I shone light on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I think most are like that..........the nose plug is a separate piece that is glued in or some such. I saw a pick of a new Tarkin set Vader head and it was pretty noticeable

The R1 helmet is the same sculpt, even has the corrected black versus silver painted area for contrast - but its super shiny. and if you do the lense mod, the lenses are a more reddish hue. I prefer the gloves, the belt boxes and belt on the r1. Base body is ok, and they did improve on the body suit, imo. So the R1 has its pros and cons.

Here is a pic of my (done for now) ANH Vader helmet. I am a terrible photographer

View attachment 390224

All this talk of eyebrows inspired me to paint them black. But when it dries, still looks like a dull gunmetal to me. May have to do another coat of black.

AND for any new members here, this is what the lenses look like, with something behind them to reflect their true color. I used shiny silver origami paper. Some others prefer the metallic stick-on chrome paper, used on car models. But for myself, the silver origami paper makes the amber color 'pop' more to me.

where does one find silver origami paper . I would like to try it. your vader mask is looking great.

where does one find silver origami paper . I would like to try it. your vader mask is looking great.

Thank you very much.

Here is a link on the origami paper

https://www.amazon.com/Japanese-Ext...17289643&sr=8-3&keywords=silver+origami+paper

Any type of tin foil paper will give the same effect...kitchen foil is the cheapest and easiest to find..

Definitely. I always forget about tin foil...you can tell I love cooking lol....but should have same exact effect - I'd never argue against Matrix.......I am but a hack compared to some other board members and their talent

Been trying to sell my sealed Vader for years now but no one's interested so I unboxed it. I'm bothered by the overkill weathering on the mask, the glove flaps, short height, etc. I see now why no one's buying. Also hoping HT made the mask and helmet asymmetrical just like the real thing. Anyway, I'll keep this for now and figure out what to do with this thing.

Been trying to sell my sealed Vader for years now but no one's interested so I unboxed it. I'm bothered by the overkill weathering on the mask, the glove flaps, short height, etc. I see now why no one's buying. Also hoping HT made the mask and helmet asymmetrical just like the real thing. Anyway, I'll keep this for now and figure out what to do with this thing.

well, the new Tarkin ANH Vader seems to have even heavier weathering on the mask than this one.. And the mask is the same. I've seen quite a few sell in the fore sale thread. Not sure why your's isn't. I like mine as do most. The ANH is suppossed to be beat up. If you like shiny and new you should've waited for the RO or the ESB versions. But they still share many of the same parts, and pretty much same height. And people also complained these were too tall, never really heard any one say too short.

Back