1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 279 - Star Wars Episode IV: 1/6th scale Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's sex right there.

darth-vader-thumbs-up-star-wars-39851378-422-500.jpg

The quest for the ultimate Vader continues...I do enjoy the pain and agony, excitement and passion shared by fellow collector colleagues though...

My ultimate Vader is an ESB using kaiyodo, ANH, sideshow, and rogue one parts. Such a fun journey!

Hot toys figures aren't machine made. There's always small variations in figures i.e. the cowl tip on BVS batman. I also stated mine was too long off the stand. On the stand the cape doesn't touch the floor. Both suits will have wrinkles, but the rogue one is better tailored.

The sideshow cod piece is much better. I'm not sure what you mean about the plastic showing but on the figure the side straps which are a different texture will be hidden by the tunic.

There is 100% a difference in the sternum area of the shoulder armor

1402e0a7489723e3320451d8b3fca883.jpg

My recommendation for the best ANH/ rogue one Vader are:

Helmet: ANH
Shoulder: ANH
Chest: ANH
Belt: RO
Cod: Sideshow Deluxe or ANH
Boots/ shin: ANH
Cape/tunic: ANH
Gloves: Rogue one / ANH depending on the pose
Saber: ANH
Body: toss up
Body suit: rogue one

You'll then need to perform the jazz inc mods to improve the accuracy.

This is what you'll get

61824eeb9fd93fc7e18406d3f3e31a76.jpg

f28cda96e63fd7addc2d5a0ce02b8661.jpg

I agree with everything except i think the ANH suit is more durable. My RO tore at the arm and has some weird rubbery material on the shoulder area , and prevented the arms from moving or bending into that gloves on the belt boxes look. Personal preference I think the ANH is better built , and stronger and more durable, but the RO is better fitted I do agree with that . In saying that I now have a spare RO suit ( Pants are mint , vest is mint but the left arm is torn at the shoulder . I ll most likely use for a kitbash BD vader maybe or just sell it off.

Someone complained that I saidthe RO Cape is too short , well it is , it only went to just above the ankles and It didnt look right . Its also missing the satin lining on the inside, something the ANH does have. Part of the ultimate vader look is the inner lining of the cape.

Only reason for using the Sideshow Deluxe Cod is because I didnt have an ANH on on hand i could use. But i will be honest with you , the ANH cod is weak as piss and the straps could easily tear, the sideshow one is built like a tank but i will be using a hot toys cod eventually.
People just need to calm down about this , its only a hobby not a best Vader competition. I have now customised 5 Hot Toys Vaders and I know what works and what doesnt ( trials and errors ) . No one will ever get the best Vader one 6th but we can sure try to get close.

PEACE

mikesgtrs,
thanks for your input.

I am beginning to get really frightened about the RO suit being so fragile.... :-(
Is there anybody out there who hasn't had tear problems with the RO suit?

Why is the HT ANH cod piece so flimsy? It looks like hard plastic the whole of it, glued onto conventional pleather, just like all cod pieces! Does it eventually unglue? Then reglue it, no problem. Could you further explain your point mikesgtrs?

Regarding cod piece aesthetics: the moment you move the tunic from place (for some dynamic pose) the Sideshow cod piece's transition from plastic to pleather will show, whereas with the ANH cod piece, it won't. Right? What do you guys think? Hence I'd rather use the ANH one.

I seems everybody say the ANH cape is best. But the length remains an issue: I think to remember zackg_ saying RO cape is way too long, bunching up on the ground and hence causing weird draping on the shoulders. He or she also said it was thicker and hence harder to work with. Now you say that the RO cape is... too short!?
Can we arrive to a consensus on facts about the RO cape vs the ANH one? Lengths? Thickness? Looks? Draping?

Regards,
m.

I agree with everything except i think the ANH suit is more durable. My RO tore at the arm and has some weird rubbery material on the shoulder area , and prevented the arms from moving or bending into that gloves on the belt boxes look. Personal preference I think the ANH is better built , and stronger and more durable, but the RO is better fitted I do agree with that . In saying that I now have a spare RO suit ( Pants are mint , vest is mint but the left arm is torn at the shoulder . I ll most likely use for a kitbash BD vader maybe or just sell it off.

Someone complained that I saidthe RO Cape is too short , well it is , it only went to just above the ankles and It didnt look right . Its also missing the satin lining on the inside, something the ANH does have. Part of the ultimate vader look is the inner lining of the cape.

Only reason for using the Sideshow Deluxe Cod is because I didnt have an ANH on on hand i could use. But i will be honest with you , the ANH cod is weak as piss and the straps could easily tear, the sideshow one is built like a tank but i will be using a hot toys cod eventually.
People just need to calm down about this , its only a hobby not a best Vader competition. I have now customised 5 Hot Toys Vaders and I know what works and what doesnt ( trials and errors ) . No one will ever get the best Vader one 6th but we can sure try to get close.

PEACE

PEACE

I may have mistyped. The ANH suit is more durable in my experience. Aesthetically the rogue one looks better.

Asgardianboy, here's my rogue one cape. It is touching the floor and imo it's too long if I fully pull/ adhere the cape Down to being fully straight. Notice this cape isn't straight near the collar bone area. On a stand it drapes much better.

6e12868883b4afbf7fd7db5956da0ca5.jpg

There's no factual better or worst case, but myself and many others agree ANH is the better cape.

Also, regarding your statement on dynamic poses, both Vaders are not able to be posed in a super dynamic fashion. The most dynamic I've seen is a two arm saber holding pose like the new iron studios statue and even then it's a fairly static pose.

Hey zackg_ thanks again for your data.

And thanks for the pic. Problem is evident. Why would mikesgtrs say the cap gets only up to the ankles then...??
zackg_, you have the ANH cape? Is it thinner? Has it the inner lining?

Regarding poses: I want to buy the RO figure, but I already have the ANH lightsaber and the wired tunic. I intend to pose the tunic in oh so cool ways (than fierce wind...!). Hence, I need a monolithic, good-looking-from-all-angles cod piece. Don't you think?

Regards,
m.

I may have mistyped. The ANH suit is more durable in my experience. Aesthetically the rogue one looks better.

Asgardianboy, here's my rogue one cape. It is touching the floor and imo it's too long if I fully pull/ adhere the cape Down to being fully straight. Notice this cape isn't straight near the collar bone area. On a stand it drapes much better.

6e12868883b4afbf7fd7db5956da0ca5.jpg

There's no factual better or worst case, but myself and many others agree ANH is the better cape.

Also, regarding your statement on dynamic poses, both Vaders are not able to be posed in a super dynamic fashion. The most dynamic I've seen is a two arm saber holding pose like the new iron studios statue and even then it's a fairly static pose.

Hey zackg_ thanks again for your data.

And thanks for the pic. Problem is evident. Why would mikesgtrs say the cap gets only up to the ankles then...??
zackg_, you have the ANH cape? Is it thinner? Has it the inner lining?

Regarding poses: I want to buy the RO figure, but I already have the ANH lightsaber and the wired tunic. I intend to pose the tunic in oh so cool ways (than fierce wind...!). Hence, I need a monolithic, good-looking-from-all-angles cod piece. Don't you think?

Regards,
m.

Like I said in another thread, it could just be that my cape was cut longer. I imagine there are small variations in the capes. The ANH cape is thinner and has the small line of satin lining on the inside.

The sideshow cod looks the bestfor me, but if ANH in your opinion is superior then go with what floats your boat!

Have you looked into the unreal toys cape? He makes a sweet wired cape. Mine should be in, in a few weeks.

Smashing looking Vader! :clap

What are the SS parts? Codpiece and chest box?

Thanks!

Hot Toys Parts Used:

- ANH Body
- ANH Helmet/Mask
- ANH Boots and Leg Armor
- ANH Belt
- ANH Right Saber Arm/Hand
- R1 Cape and Inner Robe
- R1 Left Fist

Sideshow Parts:

- ANH Body Suit
- ANH Chest/Shoulder Armor
- ANH Chest Box

Wow that Vader is stellar. Just need the R1 saber as its more red that the pinkish ANH.

Has anyone ever used the ANH bodysuit on the old Sideshow Deluxe Vader? All this combo talk has got me thinking about doing a few updates of my own. Just wondered if the HT suit might be short for this version. Also forgive me if this was already asked previously, only 1174 other pages to comb through, might have missed it..LOL.

I ported my old sideshow Vader suit over to the Rogue One body using bits and pieces from Ht ANh and Rogue One to Sideshow deluxe version.

20170428_152424.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Back