1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 279 - Star Wars Episode IV: 1/6th scale Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A nice helmet alone doth not a Vader make.

Not sure if I want this or not.

It looks good...and bad at the same time.

It's not ANH but a hybrid. Put the robes under his armour and he'd be transitioning towards his ESB appearance.

Seems to be the same case with all HT OT Star Wars figures released so far, apart from the Stormtroopers: they're HT interpretations inspired by the film.

Nice review of Dahr Vaduh. Although it does concern me about the leather creasing. That's probably the main thing making me hesitant to get it. I always worry about getting figures with substantial amounts of certain materials like leather or rubber.

Beat me to it!! DAMN!!!

It really looks like the chest armor piece is riding up too high in a lot of pics, and needs to be pushed down a bit. Especially with how low the actual shoulders appear to be.

All these HT SW are so boring and lackluster. I miss the event like the I boxing of DX Bespin Luke. Remember the feeling of opening up that box. Remember the laser punched Luke card we got for no reason but to celebrate the event of a high end figure!

All these HT SW are so boring and lackluster. I miss the event like the I boxing of DX Bespin Luke. Remember the feeling of opening up that box. Remember the laser punched Luke card we got for no reason but to celebrate the event of a high end figure!

This should have been a DX

First thing I'm doing when I unbox mine is adjusting the distance between the chest box and belt. It's just way too far apart. I'm sure with proper futzing this guy can look pretty damn good.

It's only a problem if it's still the same height as the SS ones. Seems a touch smaller though. The photo above he's directly next to the short trooper so that's probably not the best shot to look at. Main thing that bothers me in that photo is how the stormtrooper looks a little bit bulkier than Vader.

I find myselfthat the height is best when you swap out the SS body with the muscley TTM. Technically probably a tad short, but any taller and he starts to look out of scale with the rest of the figures. Accuracy is nice and all, but when it starts to look weird and wrong on the shelf, compromises must be made.

[...]
Seems to be the same case with all HT OT Star Wars figures released so far, apart from the Stormtroopers: they're HT interpretations inspired by the film.

I love the Hot Toys stormtroopers, but they're no different. i.e. They're also flawed interpretations -- just damn good ones.

Is there wire in the edge of the cape to pose it, I watched the video and he just said it was heavy?

Well I look at that video (apart from the fact that I want to kill myself when I have to listen to the idiotic comments and presenter)........I see ANH Vader. The best 1/6 Vader I've ever seen. Futzing required sure, even a bit of bashing possibly. But the helmet is stunning.
It feels like it's vader not a toy. IMO.

Last edited:
Seeing the figure in a video really is the best way to capture both the good and bad issues. The helmet looks amazing yet the hands/gloves look even worse. I have the SS ANH figure so can utilize that one for parts, if needed.

Helmet's nice, yes..... but man, that chest armor is really small too. It's like the chest box AND armor shrank in the process and they just didn't bother to fix it this round.

I may need both the chest armor AND box from the SS ANH Vader.

Yeah. Sideshow chest armor is still great. I don't like this more than my Vader, but I think this is a great Vader figure for sure. Though he still doesn't feel very ANH. But that was sorta expected. Hot Toys always does an idealized version of characters. It's a pity about the gloves, chest plate, and box. Such easy things they could have done better. I'm looking forward to seeing some actual in hand pics. The pro photos are great and all but, believe it or not, I get tired of them. Just regular old pics with natural light always seems to give me a better idea of what the figure looks like in hand.

I saw these on Facebook, courtesy of Don Tam:

Comparing SS to HT. Even a height difference shown!

6d5e09ff2b078706ed375befd2e07622.jpg
1f2c76f8ae9fb346920cc45dab996d8f.jpg
7086ed67b1412d40060e4def199d3203.jpg
b84557f36680004e89667269f49032ce.jpg

I was on the fence on which to buy but after seeing these comparison pics I'm leaning towards the HT Vader. Still wish the chest box had the light up feature.

Back