1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 279 - Star Wars Episode IV: 1/6th scale Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I noticed in one pic that there is a velcro patch under the glove "flap" to attach to the plastic fingers. I'd imagine they can be futzed better than we have seen.

Ugh, if that's true, HT uses the worst Velcro, no wonder it looks terrible.

Clearly you can't glue it down or you can't swap hands. Maybe blu-tac or something like that to better hold the material down.

it seems like the only awesome Vader, as with the SSC version, can only be achieved through bashing and modding.

I wonder will the SSC Vader gloves fit on the HT arms if people have a problem with the HT gloves

I really want to see them side by side so I can tell if there is any size differences
That and the sideshow hands have a fixed peg that will probably be too big for the Hot Toys wrist

The silver on his chest plate isn't that "bright" in ANH.

Just saying...

That, my friend, is a very, very tough observation to argue. We pretty much know what colors were used on the troopers, but no real conclusion has ever really surfaced, regarding the metallic grey color on Vader. Some say it was a car touch up paint, some say 50/50 tamiya black/aluminium is good look, also duplicolor t177 gunmetal, other more obscure and hard to find colors are also suggested .we went with the tamiya solution maybe next time a touch more black.
'Quoted by H'
S x

The HT one has the same issue though.:dunno

It's really supposed to be almost matte and monochromatic black in ANH (even though it does have the black/gunmetal thing, just with lots of dulling spray over it.)

Even though the molding looks a little rough, the Hurricane chestbox may be the only properly scaled ANH chestbox that has enough detail. The HT is too small and the SSC ANH is too lacking in detail and the sculpt is a bit off.
We are creating a new master for the chest box , and new rod masters , we made the original masters from metal which didn't translate as well as hoped into resin.we understand the prop rocker switches we fashioned from wood so we tried to replicate that .The correct measurements for the chest box is lost in myth and those that know don't tell.. Our coin slots were hand made using available measurements .
S x

The HT one has the same issue though.:dunno

It's really supposed to be almost matte and monochromatic black in ANH (even though it does have the black/gunmetal thing, just with lots of dulling spray over it.)

Even though the molding looks a little rough, the Hurricane chestbox may be the only properly scaled ANH chestbox that has enough detail. The HT is too small and the SSC ANH is too lacking in detail and the sculpt is a bit off.

On the same page, brother :duff

I was just pointing it out as everyone is going mental on the inaccuracies of the HT compare to the full-size costume - and it all feels a bit silly when there isn't a "perfect" 1/6 out there.

Each of them has their good and bad points, and a lot of those inaccuracies (on each version) pretty-much disappear when they're up on your shelf.

I really can't wait to see people here get a hold of this thing and futz the hell out of it. It seems all the pieces are there to make the best Vader. Hopefully you can hike that belt and codpiece up and give him the granny-panties look ANH Vader should have.

Does anyone think they'll be able to dull the chestplate down to make it look like ANH and not like the ESB/Jedi version?

I'll be giving it a try!

[/B]

I'll be giving it a try!

Just keep in mind though, as with the Chewy fur-tweakers, this is a $300 figure and these mods would be irreversible and could affect resale value. I know, I know in our minds we like to think that if you "fix" the issues (at least in terms of how you see them) it should more more desirable, but some people do still like that 1990's MISB thing when it comes to $250-300 figures.:dunno

Just something to keep in mind - moving belts/codpieces up is one thing, repainting the chest armor is another. That being said - looking forward to seeing it done!:lol

That, my friend, is a very, very tough observation to argue. We pretty much know what colors were used on the troopers, but no real conclusion has ever really surfaced, regarding the metallic grey color on Vader. Some say it was a car touch up paint, some say 50/50 tamiya black/aluminium is good look, also duplicolor t177 gunmetal, other more obscure and hard to find colors are also suggested .we went with the tamiya solution maybe next time a touch more black.
'Quoted by H'
S x

I must admit, I follow all the stories of people trying to remember what was 100% - like the dome being shiny or slightly matt. But for me, I see what I see on the film, and that's my reference point. I know there were many versions done of the various parts of the costume, but that entrance into the Tantive IV - that's Vader to me.

So all my reference comes from that opening sequence.

Point in case; anyone can tell me the dome has a matt or statin finish - that's fine - but my eyes (clear as day) see a gloss finished helmet. Now people can tell me it's lighting, but I've worked on film sets for the past 25 years and can tell you firsthand, lighting can't make it look as gloss as it does in that Tantive IV sequence.

So again for me, it comes down to this. Do I give a crap about the tiniest of details when it's up on my shelf? Or am I jazzed just to have such a great looking figure, that - standing distance away, looks outstanding.... be it Vader or any other collectible.

Each to their own.

Just keep in mind though, as with the Chewy fur-tweakers, this is a $300 figure and these mods would be irreversible and could affect resale value. I know, I know in our minds we like to think that if you "fix" the issues (at least in terms of how you see them) it should more more desirable, but some people do still like that 1990's MISB thing when it comes to $250-300 figures.:dunno

Just something to keep in mind - moving belts/codpieces up is one thing, repainting the chest armor is another. That being said - looking forward to seeing it done!:lol

I was one of those "tweakers" and I completely know what you're saying, but I never buy to resell. If at some point to do (and obviously I have when a better version has come out) I'll wear whatever loss comes my way. Luckily, I've always managed to do okay when selling; some things I've lost on - others gained

I must admit, I follow all the stories of people trying to remember what was 100% - like the dome being shiny or slightly matt. But for me, I see what I see on the film, and that's my reference point. I know there were many versions done of the various parts of the costume, but that entrance into the Tantive IV - that's Vader to me.

So all my reference comes from that opening sequence.

Point in case; anyone can tell me the dome has a matt or statin finish - that's fine - but my eyes (clear as day) see a gloss finished helmet. Now people can tell me it's lighting, but I've worked on film sets for the past 25 years and can tell you firsthand, lighting can't make it look as gloss as it does in that Tantive IV sequence.

So again for me, it comes down to this. Do I give a crap about the tiniest of details when it's up on my shelf? Or am I jazzed just to have such a great looking figure, that - standing distance away, looks outstanding.... be it Vader or any other collectible.

Each to their own.

Like Threepio, you'd have to assume the film crew would have dulled the helmet as needed shot by shot depending on whether the camera/crew/set could be seen or not from that angle, or if the reflections were too bright. My understanding on Vader has always been that his helmet is high gloss but had dulling spray added to varying degrees scene by scene as needed. It does seem to vary scene to scene.

The lighting in SW is a lot brighter and flatter than ESB or ROTJ (not a huge fan of the look of SW/ANH,) so maybe there was more need to dull - yet Threepio gets hit harder and harder with dulling spray as the trilogy goes on. In ROTJ he almost looks matte orange in some scenes.:lol

TaliBane;8222151[B said:
]Like Threepio, you'd have to assume the film crew would have dulled the helmet as needed shot by shot depending on whether the camera/crew/set could be seen or not from that angle, or if the reflections were too bright. My understanding on Vader has always been that his helmet is high gloss but had dulling spray added to varying degrees scene by scene as needed. It does seem to vary scene to scene.[/B]

The lighting in SW is a lot brighter and flatter than ESB or ROTJ (not a huge fan of the look of SW/ANH,) so maybe there was more need to dull - yet Threepio gets hit harder and harder with dulling spray as the trilogy goes on. In ROTJ he almost looks matte orange in some scenes.:lol

BINGO!!! :goodpost:

image (1).jpg

The detailing on the mask is amazing.

^^ It's a nice photo set for sure, but I really wish they'd dial back the photoshop lightsabers in pics. It's fun to see every so often but it starts to feel like a cheat when there's entire series doing it. I want to see the actual lit saber it comes with.

Has it been confirmed whether the gauntlets are attached to the bodysuit or not?

The two piece glove idea could have worked - it's just unclear why the fingers were sculpted so scrawny and skeletal and then painted so glossy. If the fingers were thicker and more clearly a glove plus more semi-gloss in appearance, the idea could have worked.

^^ It's a nice photo set for sure, but I really wish they'd dial back the photoshop lightsabers in pics. It's fun to see every so often but it starts to feel like a cheat when there's entire series doing it. I want to see the actual lit saber it comes with.

Has it been confirmed whether the gauntlets are attached to the bodysuit or not?

The two piece glove idea could have worked - it's just unclear why the fingers were sculpted so scrawny and skeletal and then painted so glossy. If the fingers were thicker and more clearly a glove plus more semi-gloss in appearance, the idea could have worked.

this :lecture

No you don't. :lol

They don't read as real lightsabers the way the CCFL's do, but they're impressive for what they are. They would probably look like glow sticks in photos as that's pretty much what they look like lit up.

Back